It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Why does he hate when I do this?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

Why does he hate when I do this?! Empty
PostSubject: Why does he hate when I do this?!   Why does he hate when I do this?! EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 5:06 pm

Hey Guys!

I have a 2 year old male husky who is intact. He behaves well when it comes to me but doesn't listen to other people as well.

Anyways I had a question, whenever I rest my hand ever so GENTLY on his back he absolutely hates it! He would try to move away or use his paw to remove my hand. And I would do it over and over and he would do the same thing. He also has tried to hump some people in my family a few times.

He is perfectly healthy and has not been abused or had any bad experiences involving this, and he not dog/human aggressive at all! Weird thing is at every other times he would let me pet all over, even if he is on his back or standing.

But I have seen dogs put their paws on top of another dogs back as a sign of dominance...Could this be it? This has been really irritating me because I don't want him thinking he has authority over me, and doesn't respect me.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Why does he hate when I do this?!   Why does he hate when I do this?! EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 7:27 pm

Interesting question --- to which I Have no answer. Of my three, Avalanche will put himself under my hand and just stand / lay there. I don't have to be petting him, he's apparently just happy with my touching him. (At night when my hand is hanging off the edge of the bed is when he does this mostly, but he's done it a few time during the day as well...)

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Why does he hate when I do this?!   Why does he hate when I do this?! EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 9:31 pm

Why would you continue to do something that your dog does not like when it is not necessary for his or your health/safety?

Various dogs have various levels of comfort with human topic. I have a grandpuppy that happily sleeps squeezed between my husband and myself all night long. Another who likes to cuddle. Sort of. For about 10 minutes. And the third. Being closer means in another room. Yes, a belly rub is divine but don't touch me while I'm resting he says.

Your dog does not give dominance signals to you in that manner.

The humping? An intact male. Probably a scent he smells.
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Why does he hate when I do this?!   Why does he hate when I do this?! EmptySat Sep 12, 2020 11:44 am

amymeme wrote:
Why would you continue to do something that your dog does not like when it is not necessary for his or your health/safety?

Various dogs have various levels of comfort with human topic. I have a grandpuppy that happily sleeps squeezed between my husband and myself all night long. Another who likes to cuddle. Sort of. For about 10 minutes. And the third. Being closer means in another room. Yes, a belly rub is divine but don't touch me while I'm resting he says.

Your dog does not give dominance signals to you in that manner.

The humping? An intact male. Probably a scent he smells.

I guess you're right, thanks!!

I was frustrated as you can imagine when I went online and people were saying this was a sign of dominance
.....And after treating him so well and giving him the best things, I thought in his mind he thinks he has more authority over me and that he doesn't respect me.

I get now that I have to accept there are certain things he won't like and I should just let those go, and avoid trying to change or correct every little thing.!

Given that he is a wonderful dog who follows me everywhere and is always excited to see me and listens every time.....I guess I sorta overreacted and overthinked. Mad
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Why does he hate when I do this?!   Why does he hate when I do this?! EmptySat Sep 12, 2020 3:47 pm

I wouldn’t worry to much my husbands dog Cash he hates being touched full stop, he’s happy to sit next to you and lay on your lap but your not aloud to touch him
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Why does he hate when I do this?!   Why does he hate when I do this?! EmptySat Sep 12, 2020 3:55 pm

Happy to here your relief. Way too much emphasis placed on dominance theory in some sectors of dogdom. V your dog sounds like a lovely beast following you around and welcoming your return.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Why does he hate when I do this?!   Why does he hate when I do this?! EmptySat Sep 12, 2020 6:39 pm

Squirt hates her back end touched. It's why she ends up shaved several times a year.

Spider is just different. With jerry she takes a completely dominant stance. She will not listen to him in the slightest. Tjat said, when he is about to have a seizure, she will push him into a chair or seat and pin him to keep him from falling. She expects jerry to obey her
Back to top Go down
Spicy Sauce
Newborn
Newborn
Spicy Sauce

PostSubject: Re: Why does he hate when I do this?!   Why does he hate when I do this?! EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi dinf22. I think you're smart to address this seemingly minor issue. I'd worry that as he ages, he may be less tolerant and could snap at you - or worse - someone else.

When I adopted Watson 7 months ago, he hated when anyone touched his paws at all. Obviously, this was a problem when I needed to trim his nails. So, I knew I had to train him to let me touch his paws. Most dogs are easily taught to shake hands, anyway. The answer was to associate holding hands with food.

When I first tried to teach him to shake, Cayenne, my 5-year-old Husky, would volunteer to perform every task. It helped to have her demonstrate. He understood the command, but would throw vocal tantrums every time I commanded him to do something he didn't want to do. He's quite obstinate. He even tried to outsmart me by offering to boop my hand with his nose instead of giving his paw. With progress, he moved on to booping my hand with his nose and then tapping with his paw. Slowly but surely, he learned to shake hands properly because the food was motivation. Now I can hold his paws even when he's resting and nail trims have become so much easier.

I'd try the same method with petting your boy's back. Just show him the treat, tell him you're going to pet his back with a simple command like "touch" or whatever word makes sense, then touch his back and feed him. Make it brief in the beginning. As he begins to accept the brief touch, leave your hand there longer. All the while, give him praise and use your other hand to give him whatever kind of scratches he enjoys. He'll get there.
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Why does he hate when I do this?!   Why does he hate when I do this?! EmptyWed Sep 16, 2020 11:26 am

Spicy Sauce wrote:
Hi dinf22. I think you're smart to address this seemingly minor issue. I'd worry that as he ages, he may be less tolerant and could snap at you - or worse - someone else.

When I adopted Watson 7 months ago, he hated when anyone touched his paws at all. Obviously, this was a problem when I needed to trim his nails. So, I knew I had to train him to let me touch his paws. Most dogs are easily taught to shake hands, anyway. The answer was to associate holding hands with food.

When I first tried to teach him to shake, Cayenne, my 5-year-old Husky, would volunteer to perform every task. It helped to have her demonstrate. He understood the command, but would throw vocal tantrums every time I commanded him to do something he didn't want to do. He's quite obstinate. He even tried to outsmart me by offering to boop my hand with his nose instead of giving his paw. With progress, he moved on to booping my hand with his nose and then tapping with his paw. Slowly but surely, he learned to shake hands properly because the food was motivation. Now I can hold his paws even when he's resting and nail trims have become so much easier.

I'd try the same method with petting your boy's back. Just show him the treat, tell him you're going to pet his back with a simple command like "touch" or whatever word makes sense, then touch his back and feed him. Make it brief in the beginning. As he begins to accept the brief touch, leave your hand there longer. All the while, give him praise and use your other hand to give him whatever kind of scratches he enjoys. He'll get there.

I'll start doing this. Thanks for the detailed post!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why does he hate when I do this?!   Why does he hate when I do this?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Why does he hate when I do this?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1