It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? Empty
PostSubject: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 3:24 pm

Hey everyone, hope all is well!

I have a quick question, my male intact husky is 3 years old and only weighs 48-50lbs for the last 2 years. I wanted to know how I can get him to gain a couple of more pounds because he is fairly skinny right now.
His mom weighs 52 lbs and the dad weighs 56 lbs.
He currently eats orijen six fish, a high protein kibble and does good on it.

Previously when I tried to get him to put on some pounds he would just have major diarrhea accidents in the house for days  until his tummy settles again.
I think this is because the protein got too high when I upped his kibble.

So I wanted to know what can I give him to add a bit more weight on, maybe some sweet potatoes or some yogurt?.......Without giving him diarrhea.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 4:59 pm

What does your vet think about the weight. I ask because i habe similar issues with spider. She is height/length bigger then my gsd, but weighs 47 lbs (shadow is around 90). We have done yogurt, kefir,olive oil, adding raw meat in, and free feeding and as much as she can eat she is just thin.

So i was told by my vets office that the northern breeds tend to be on the lanky/thin side unless they are spayed/neutered or hitting senior years. When my aunt and uncle where here from maryland in july they remarked how spider looked good and my other 3 need to go on a diet.

This time of year spider will eat as much as i let her and still not gain weight.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 5:28 pm

I have Avalanche an Alaskan Husky who's about 50 pounds, tall lean and lanky;  I also have Sky a Siberian Husky who's about 50 pounds, short, squat, "packed" and 6 inches shorter than Avalanche.  I've tried different ways to get some weight on Avalanche and nothing seems to work.

He's actually a good weight for his size and, although, "skinny" in good health.  

You need to be really careful about putting weight on them because it may become a problem later when they shouldn't weigh as much as they do --- getting it off is NOT any easier than putting it on.  (( At least if you're a dog ... ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 12:04 pm

Most dogs are overweight so a dog that is the proper weight can often be perceived as too skinny. If his weight has been stable for a number of years then I wouldn't be too concerned with it. You should be able to feel the last two ribs down their sides. Now if you can see/feel all the ribs down the sides then could definitely use a little up. it will be difficult to put weight on though without changing food if the current food gives him the runs. Adding extras can throw his nutritional balance off and cause a lot of damage, not to mention pickiness. If needing to add calories I would opt to add some fully balanced canned dog food as a topper and not just straight meat or potatoes. Another option to put weight on is to just get him fixed. It will adjust his hormones and level them out. Unfixed dogs hormones tend to roller coaster around with the seasons and with other unfixed dogs around. It can help level out the personality of some males who get a little "weird" when an in-heat female is near, and that leveling can assist in their bodies retaining weight easier.

Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Lostmaniac wrote:
What does your vet think about the weight. I ask because i habe similar issues with spider. She is height/length bigger then my gsd, but weighs 47 lbs (shadow is around 90).  We have done yogurt, kefir,olive oil, adding raw meat in, and free feeding and as much as she can eat she is just thin.

So i was told by my vets office that the northern breeds tend to be on the lanky/thin side unless they are spayed/neutered or hitting senior years.  When my aunt and uncle where here from maryland in july they remarked how spider looked good and my other 3 need to go on a diet.

This time of year spider will eat as much as i let her and still not gain weight.

The vet just sorta shrugged it off and didn't give me a straight answer. It's crazy because when most people hear that he's only 50 lbs they're like, "I thought huskies weigh a lot more and are much bigger".

Would adding a bit of yogurt or olive oil to his kibble help him add a couple more pounds while avoiding loose stools?

Last edited by dinf22 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 8:57 pm

aljones wrote:
I have Avalanche an Alaskan Husky who's about 50 pounds, tall lean and lanky;  I also have Sky a Siberian Husky who's about 50 pounds, short, squat, "packed" and 6 inches shorter than Avalanche.  I've tried different ways to get some weight on Avalanche and nothing seems to work.

He's actually a good weight for his size and, although, "skinny" in good health.  

You need to be really careful about putting weight on them because it may become a problem later when they shouldn't weigh as much as they do --- getting it off is NOT any easier than putting it on.  (( At least if you're a dog ... ))

I guess you're right, it's hard to believe huskies only weigh this much, when there are golden retrievers and smaller Pitbull's that weigh a lot more and aren't considered overweight.
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 9:00 pm

Guys since you probably have seen alot of skinny, normal and overweight huskies...here is a recent picture of my husky showing his side ribcage. Do you all think he is a bit too skinny and needs to gain a couple more pounds or is he in good shape? Thanks!
My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? ZjlnFDP
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 9:17 pm

Besides being a great looking dog, I wouldn't suggest "helping" him gain anything, he looks really good.

As you said, people think that Huskies are, well, Husky and when they're at their best weight, they're not. They're a svelte, sleek dog. It really bugs me when people come on with a picture of their "great looking dog" who's 25+ lbs overweight. Puppies are little balls of fat but they should lose all of that as they grow up. The best looking dogs I've seen are typically considered underweight by people who don't know dogs - and some who think they do.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with your pup - except his back leg is longer than it should be (( the perspective of the picture Smile ))

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 10:45 pm

He looks perfect to me. Standard for make husky is 45-60 pounds. My smaller male is around 53#. We're won't discuss my big boy 🙄
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 11:14 pm

amymeme wrote:
He looks perfect to me. Standard for make husky is 45-60 pounds. My smaller male is around 53#.  We're won't discuss my big boy 🙄

Haha how big is he?!
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 11:16 pm

aljones wrote:
Besides being a great looking dog, I wouldn't suggest "helping" him gain anything, he looks really good.

As you said, people think that Huskies are, well, Husky and when they're at their best weight, they're not.  They're a svelte, sleek dog.  It really bugs me when people come on with a picture of their "great looking dog" who's 25+ lbs overweight.  Puppies are little balls of fat but they should lose all of that as they grow up.  The best looking dogs I've seen are typically considered underweight by people who don't know dogs - and some who think they do.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with your pup - except his back leg is longer than it should be (( the perspective of the picture Smile ))

Thanks! I appreciate your advice. I was just under the impression that I might have not been feeding him enough and that's why he was fairly light, seeing many 70+lb huskies online!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 11:29 pm

People often can't tell the difference between a Malamute and a Husky (to be honest, I can't unless I stop and look)  and that Mal *is* a much bigger, heavier dog.  Considering that Huskies were bred to pull medium sized loads, quickly over long(ish) distances they can't afford the body weight that a Mal is apt to have.  Mals were bred to pull (much) larger loads, in many cases over the same distances but because of their weight and the loads they pull they're much slower that a Sibe.

To give you an idea, here's a blog post from the AKC comparing a Sibe and a Mal ... and before you think I've gotten too far off topic, look at the legs and body of the Sibes in the pictures and I think you'll see why people confuse them and expect a BIG Sibe to be a BIG dog.

Back to top Go down
sibmom
Newborn
Newborn
sibmom

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptySat Oct 02, 2021 4:23 pm

Definitely not in need of additional weight. At least from what I see in the perspective of the picture posted.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? EmptySun Oct 03, 2021 8:36 pm

Looks fat in comparison to spider.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?   My male Husky is too skinny...any advice? Empty

Back to top Go down

My male Husky is too skinny...any advice?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1