It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rescue Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Rescue Help - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:48 pm

We almost got turned by the rescue I volunteer for!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Wow, then I would definitely get turned down! My house isn't huge at all, we rent, the front gate of the yard is 4ft tall and not too sturdy to be honest....BUT...my dogs are so loved and cared for that everything else shouldn't prevent us from rescuing a dog that needs a good home. I never leave them outside unattended and stand by the gate when they're out in the yard (just in case). They get daily walks, weekly toys, and basically are the princess/prince of the house..lol.

That sucks that people out there that actually want to adopt a husky get turned down for minor things sometimes. I know that the rescues do it with dogs best interest in mind, but c'mon. You can feel a person out and know if they're the right match while taking other things into consideration of course.

Good luck Claudia!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 pm

It makes me sad to hear all of these issues with rescues. I hope this thread doesn't sour anyone to rescue. Just like everything in life there is good and bad. Most rescues do think dog first and human second, shelters and humane societies are usually less picky. There are pros and cons to each.

I used to foster for a humane society. I say used to because of this story.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t2562-new-pack-member

I would have never placed a husky in this home. No fence, cats (dog was not tested with them), and no breed experience, just always wanted one for her daughter. I happened to be there when she and the daughter took the dog home, no interaction hardly at all. In fact the daughter seemed to care less (to her defense she was disadvantaged). I took it on myself to call the woman as a phone followup several months after (against the societies standard procedure) and got a very terse "he's fine" response.

All things considered I still think shelter and rescue dogs make the best pets, they just seem thankful and loving, at least in my experiences.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:31 pm

I have declined an application before because of the same reasons. AND they were going to leave the husky outside tied up.

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Wow... I got my first husky when I was 21 years old and have never had more than one husky at a time. Over the past 24 years, I have learned alot about huskies by reading but mostly by trial and error. I do understand the rescue being "skittish" because the poor dog has probably already had a traumatic experience and they do not want to set the dog up for another failure.

We've had our huskies in an apartment, in a small house with a "mostly" fenced yard, in the country "with room to roam" and in our house now with a fenced yard. More than not having a fence or a large house, I think the idea of giving a husky "room to roam" is the scariest. Most everyone who says they want a husky tells us they will get one when they move to the country to allow the dog room to roam. "Really?", I usually ask them, "Cause if you give a husky room to run, they WILL run.... and end up in Canada."

I think as long as you are dedicated to providing human companionship to your husky, a single husky will have a wonderful life. You, on the other hand, will work yourself to death trying to be his constant companion and exercise partner and human play toy.... !!!

We have no rescues close enough to us to allow us to adopt Sad
They also frown on giving a husky to a home with children under 10 (we finally have a 10 year old and can meet that requirement). Sad
I agree that some of the rules that most rescues make mandatory should really be "guidelines" and the workers should be allowed to make exceptions.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:21 am

Even my mom who does her own all breed rescue can be stupid about adopting out some dogs. I usually get on her case and have to tell her that not every home is going to be perfect. If you expect that, you're just going to end up keeping every rescue! (which she has 7 dogs of her own, so you can see why I'm so hardheaded that she cannot keep anymore!)

I did a homecheck for a family near me and they didn't have a fence, but sounded like they'd walk their husky all the time and seemed like a really good couple. The sibe rescue did approve them even without the fence! I really should check up on them and see how things are going.

Rescue Help - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 1:25 am

Good luck with the adoption, Claudia! That's good that you're trying to go around the 2 dog "rule", if it makes sense for that dog and for that family. And kudos to you for volunteering!

The husky rescue our kids came from was AWESOME - they are so warm, gracious and welcoming, while being realistic and available for help post-adoption. www.huskycamp.com

We volunteered for another rescue, and even though I thought we showed we were an ideal household, had a high fence and had husky experience, we got turned down for the dogs we were interested in because we have full time jobs and wouldn't take 2 huskies at a time (with the exception of a few selected dogs they would allow us to adopt, one of which they told us not to put our hands in the cage! Shocked ) They actually have a ton of the dogs we looked at still there.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:22 pm

I got the adoption application approved AND approved to adopt a 'young' husky to her without another dog! bounce

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:30 pm

Nice work, Claudia! How'd you convince them?

Rescue Help - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Good JOB Claudia! its nice to see your hard work rewarded Smile

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Awesome Claudia!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Koda wrote:
Nice work, Claudia! How'd you convince them?
I assumed the reasons why a young husky needed to be placed with a companion dog, and they are as I thought: playmate, so they don't bored because when they get bored, that's when they start to dig and chew and destruct, etc.

So I asked if this was the rule or guideline? And when I got a vague answer, I stated that this applicant would be home all day 4 days out of the week, and on the 3 days she work, she will have help from friend, dog walkers and doggy daycare so that the pup would NOT be left alone for more than 2 hours at a time. I then asked, 'Wouldn't that be a better situation than if 2 dogs were left alone and the companion dog learned from the pup to dig and chew and destruct than the other way around?' Twisted Evil

So I basically gave a different view point, and got the approval for the applicant sunny

AND, I got a statement basically saying that the need for a young husky to be placed with or without a companion dog should be situational.

So...they're becoming more open to applications and so far, this is the 3rd exception I've gotten approval for! drunken

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Great job, Claudia! Keep up the good work Smile

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Yay! Good job and GREAT explanation!!!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:49 pm

ok...I have another adoption application that I need feedback on.

This applicant has had 2 huskies before, both has passed. They had one for 13 years and another that was a rescue, who they had just shy of 2 years.

On their application, they filled out:
-they have 5.5-6 ft fencing
-they are active
-no kids or small animals
-will be left along 6-8 hour/day
-doggy door to access inside/outside

That's all ok, but here is what they included on their application:

I do not believ a husky has to be leashed at all times. I would usually leash a husky for the first 2 years of its life, then allow the dog to hike with me off leash.

I know some can be let off leash in certain situations, but this statement makes me nervous about this applicant.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:57 pm

I'd deny the application. It sucks, but that's ignorance of basic husky instincts.

The truth is that they are likely going to get a husky from somewhere else... but that's definitely a RULE. It'd be one thing if they said "Some huskies can be offleash, we don't believe in a blanket rule" but to completely go in the opposite direction... red flag to me Sad

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:02 pm

well that is a tough call, i don't even like the doggie door option since that freaks me out cause you will have no idea what time something happened if the husky did get out of the yard....

ok the hiking off leash thing, if they keep the husky leashed all the times even hiking for the first 2 years it could work. but even when i hike i keep them leashed in the woods, to many animals around and i also keep them leashed if there are other people dogs around for safety. people are gonna do what ever they want so at least they told you....

are they looking to adopt an older husky over 4. i would not trust a younger one. maybe say that the leash deal is more for the safety of the dog regardless of the breed when hiking and that there have been way to many stories of dogs rescued or lost or killed while hiking the CO mountains?

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:06 pm

I agree, Jenn. The doggy door thing bothered me too. I suppose it depends on the fencing, but that sent a flag up to me as well.

I guess I could be convinced... I know that people will do what they are going to do... and I suppose I'd need more specific details on what they mean about allowing to hike offleash. Is this like Eddy does on the 14ers? Or is this just in the woods? I don't know...

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Their preference is a young husky about a year old.

Their statement does make me nervous, especially if they are wanting a 'young' husky.

If we do deny the application, they would probably go elsewhere, but I'd rather not take a chance of the husky we adopt out to be returned or be lost or be hurt because of the applicant's thought it can be left off leash.

Thanks!

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:18 pm

I don't know. The off leash thing bothers me but maybe they could be persuaded not to? Tough call.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:40 pm

I don't think that a huge deal if she recognizes when it's appropriate for the given dog. I have one (1 out of 3) I can let off leash but it took time for me to reach that comfort level by working on his recall at the dog park and in my yard. I still only do so when I feel it's safe, no cars, no distractions and when I'm sure he's attentive to me.

the rest of the setup, dog door, alone 8 hours mimics my house exactly. Except I have 3 huskies not just one.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
I don't think that a huge deal if she recognizes when it's appropriate for the given dog. I have one (1 out of 3) I can let off leash but it took time for me to reach that comfort level by working on his recall at the dog park and in my yard. I still only do so when I feel it's safe, no cars, no distractions and when I'm sure he's attentive to me.

the rest of the setup, dog door, alone 8 hours mimics my house exactly. Except I have 3 huskies not just one.

Yes, it does take time to get to that point.
I haven't talked to the applicant yet so there would be some questions I'd have to ask to see what kind of response I'd get.

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:00 pm

If she will take the time to do recall training and plans on only letting off leash on hikes like Jenn and them do (at the top nothing around), I don't think that is a huge problem.. but if she means the whole hike, not only is that not a good idea in most cases it's illegal as the dog needs to be leashed on most trails. A good majority of you have let your huskies off leash in wide open areas and are fine with it, and I don't think places like summits are that big of a deal offleash though I'm too scared to do it.

As for dog doors, Koda had a dog door for 3 years and will have one again in February.. I never once had an issue with it and as long as they have secure fencing (not chain link) then I don't see the big deal. He had freedom to go inside and outside as he pleased and with no one home a good portion of time. I think a 6ft fence is fine with a dog door, though mine was 7ft.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Part of their fence is 5.5 ft, the rest is 6ft.

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Koda doesn't jump fences at all, but 5ft would be complicated for him to even try. That's 3 inches shorter than me and I don't see a happy dog working hard to jump almost over my height. Most instances -I've- seen with escapes are digging under/broken panels/loose gate/etc, or like on base there's chain link fencing that is about 4ft and people with their huskies often have them missing. I wouldn't make any comments til you see the fence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rescue Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next