It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rescue Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Rescue Help - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 12:42 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
"I'm sorry they went back on their original decision, Claudia.", she writes, as she sits on the deck with her loan, unsocialized dog.
Razz

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 4:07 pm

Ok, I need to vent, yet again!

I got another adoption application and did the initial phone call.

A couple who has a 1 year old spayed female husky, wife is a clinical social worker with a flexible schedule and husband works from home. Wife has grown up with 3 different huskies in the family prior to their current pup, and husband did research on his own BEFORE they even got their current husky as this is his first. They have no kids or small animals and are very active.

So STRONG husky experience and know the breed well - husband gave me a detailed description of their current husky's demeanor from baby to current.

Part of their fence is 4-5 ft split rail fence and the part is 6 ft wood fence.

I asked the board how they wanted to proceed with this application as this is a little farther to do a home visit - and IMO, they shouldn't need a home visit. The board asked for pictures of their backyard and fence just to get a better idea, and I thought this would be a no-brainer to approve.

I received the pictures and sent it over and got a reply:

'Initially I see some concerns, mainly the height of the fence. I will review them and the application more closely after tomorrow.'

Rescue Help - Page 4 85993

I don't see ANY reason why this couple shouldn't be approved! Or is it just me being too trusting of people and having a tiny bit of faith in humanity??

Maybe I should just quit doing adoption applications....

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't know how you deal with it Claudia!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 4:41 pm

Split rail? Are the gaps large enough for the husky to get through? I can understand the rescue not wanting to adopt out if the fencing looks insecure, but I agree Claudia... if they are an experienced husky home, clearly they have made enough precautions to keep their current husky from escaping.

Are they worried about the height?

Rescue Help - Page 4 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 4:47 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I don't know how you deal with it Claudia!
My patience is wearing thin, for sure!

Koda wrote:
Split rail? Are the gaps large enough for the husky to get through? I can understand the rescue not wanting to adopt out if the fencing looks insecure, but I agree Claudia... if they are an experienced husky home, clearly they have made enough precautions to keep their current husky from escaping.

The split rail fence is lined with chain link and is about 4-5 ft, so yes, the height of the fence is the concern.

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm really sorry you have to deal with this. My conversations about the expo alone gave me bad vibes and showed me her and I wouldn't be able to work together. Sucks the dogs suffer due to people who think they know everything.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 6:44 pm

cmanding wrote:
Koda wrote:
The split rail fence is lined with chain link and is about 4-5 ft, so yes, the height of the fence is the concern.
OMG. Are you serious?? FTS (F*ck That Sh*t). This woman needs a smack in the head.

Rescue Help - Page 4 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Koda wrote:
cmanding wrote:
Koda wrote:
OMG. Are you serious?? FTS (F*ck That Sh*t). This woman needs a smack in the head.

Agreed. This is like having to deal with military beaurocracy. I really hope you can smack some sense into this woman. You must have the patience of a saint to be able to deal with this constantly.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Rescue Help - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 8:03 pm

I used to back her up, but now, I'm losing patience.
I get one statement and then something completely opposite when I talk to her again. In the beginning, I knew it was coming from the director of the rescue, the woman who began this rescue 20-something years ago. But I know she's been out of the loop for a while, and so maybe these 'rules' are just what she's used to and is 'stuck'.

She said she'll review it, so I can only hope that after she's had time to think about it more, she'll realize that the fence shouldn't be a concern when you're dealing with a very experienced husky owner!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 10:20 pm

Its no wonder we can't move the huskies faster, to stuck on rules. We need to figure this out. I don't think I could handle it as well as you claudia, that's why I stay out of that area. We will talk tomorrow

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:09 pm

What's really sad is if these people get turned down to rescue, then they will more than likely turn to breeders. I have no yard and no fence yet I keep my two exercised, happy and secure.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 11:15 am

I only talked to the hubby - haven't met either of them. Maybe I should just for good measure...but if one of them has always had huskies in the family growing up, and she now has a current husky from a puppy and is now a year old, I would have faith they would provide a good home for another.

Oh well...I can do what I can for now.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 12:37 pm

At least you're trying Claudia! At the end, you're giving it your best effort- even if the rescue isn't.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 2:18 pm

26nikita wrote:
I have no yard and no fence yet I keep my two exercised, happy and secure.

Pretty much the same situation I have here small yard they have about a 600 sq ft kennel when were not home.
BUT still walked them 1578 miles in the last 11 months. That doesn't include various escapades at the dog park and what ever other crazy crap we do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Sort of off topic but not really, on an Army wife forum I lurk for entertainment, in the pet section.. one of the wives said it is cruel to have large dogs in a small yard(like on base) or in an apt.. and that hiking, walks, and dog parks were not enough because "dogs need a yard to do whatever dogs do in yards".. exact words.. I was like really, great argument. The only really convenience I see to having a backyard in all reality is that you can be lazy with taking them pee and giving them some romping room. Walks and outside activity are way more important than having a yard, because that's what truly stimulates them, tires them out, and gets them socialized.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
The only really convenience I see to having a backyard in all reality is that you can be lazy with taking them pee and giving them some romping room. Walks and outside activity are way more important than having a yard, because that's what truly stimulates them, tires them out, and gets them socialized.
...and to bond with you.

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 3:00 pm

I think a lot of people think having a yard = dogs don't need walks or anything else. I'm always shocked when I hear people go "oh we don't go on walks, we have a yard"... my mom's yard was HUUUUGE and he would do zoomies and laps around the pool all the time.. but we still took him for 2 walks a day plus he went to daycare with me!

And of course bonding! Koda, Rogue and I love our walks together Smile
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 3:09 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
"dogs need a yard to do whatever dogs do in yards".. exact words..

Unless I am out in the yard with Sabaka engaging him in some activity (soccer...fetch...chasing...), he is laying around or wandering around bored. Just like happens with a bored dog IN the house, the bored dog OUTSIDE the house begins to destroy things. So, without supervision, he tries to take down the fence, he eats rose bushes, he digs giant pits...

These are the things that dogs do in my yard... not healthy thing!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Some people are ridiculous. Koda DID do his zoomies and stuff, but 90% of the time was laying on his side soaking up the sun or enjoying the cool breeze.
And you're absolutely right! A bored dog will be destructive in or out doors. (Not saying this applies to you as a lot of dogs just are PITA and try to get out LOL) That's a main reason why dogs end up escaping their yard, they still need to have some one on one exercising time.. In the 3.5 years I've had Koda I've never seen him even look like he thought about getting out of the yard because I kept him so tired.
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Our yard is useful for playing Frisbee and ball fetch. We have used agility jumps for them to fetch over and they LOVE it. Also the yard is useful for letting the dogs play in the kiddie pool. The dogs do play with each other a lot and get the rough play out of their systems which they can't do on a leash or in the house.. They are supervised at all times when they are in the yard however. I think walks are just as important as yard time however. They need to encounter new situations, dogs and people and other animals. It causes them to be less fearful of new experiences, and they look forward to walks. They also love camping and hiking and their behavior has been awesome so far on our campouts. Walking the dogs also gets me up off my butt and when they expect a walk it is not easy to come up with excuses about why we can't. We have a five foot chain link fence and escaping has never been an issue with any of the dogs because they are engaged in activities when they are outside.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
one of the wives said it is cruel to have large dogs in a small yard(like on base) or in an apt.. and that hiking, walks, and dog parks were not enough because "dogs need a yard to do whatever dogs do in yards".. exact words..

Feel free to say I said to pull her head out of her arse she's being overcome by fumes. Usually by the time I'm done with the daily walk my kidz are done and have no desire for a side order of zoomies around the yard
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Under the current director, I believe it's been that your yard should have 6 ft fencing or adequate containment for a husky, huskies under the age of 2 should be placed in a home with a companion (usually for socialization and so it doesn't get bored so it would less likely be destructive), and no adoptions to people in apartments (not sure what the reason was behind this one).

We all know that all of the above is on a case by case basis.

The current director will be retiring and will also be retiring he rescue's name. Theoretically, a new rescue is starting up that 'would' be run by the volunteers on a 'board' (made up of more than one person!).

So, we'll see if the 'rules' will become 'guidelines'...if not, I don't think I can continue to do adoptions, especially home visits.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Usually by the time I'm done with the daily walk my kidz are done and have no desire for a side order of zoomies around the yard

I've got to know! What kind of walks do you take them on that tire them out like that?!

Our daily walks are just a warm up for my boy and he's always itching to do some mad zoomies in the backyard by the time we get home!

Claudia, I haven't posted in this thread until now but have been reading along. I honestly don't know how you can work with those people, I couldn't do it. And it was because of the stupid hardheaded rules of various Sibe rescues that I contacted that I ended up turning instead to a kill shelter to adopt my boy. I wouldn't trade Dakota for anything in the world and I'm glad we took him off of death row at the shelter but still, it makes me so angry that all the rescues denied us because we lived in an apartment and had no fenced yard. 4 years ago today (9/18/2007) we brought Dakota home from the shelter...honestly one of the best days of my life. Smile

Keep up the good work Claudia and I really hope that if this family cannot adopt from the rescue that they might have the option to look for a sibe at a shelter with more relaxed rules.

Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:
Usually by the time I'm done with the daily walk my kidz are done and have no desire for a side order of zoomies around the yard

I've got to know! What kind of walks do you take them on that tire them out like that?!

Our daily walks are just a warm up for my boy and he's always itching to do some mad zoomies in the backyard by the time we get home!

Nothing I would consider extraordinary, very seldom the same old routine. We cover bike paths, farm fields (after harvest) the woods over trees or under, a swim in the creek or local ponds, etc. etc. I guess I could go on and on. Weekends involve usually 1 1/2- 2 hours, M-F are early (AM) short stroll 20-30 minutes then after work anything beyond and hour counts. Just about always non-stop. Winter is awesome they love the cold I can dress for it, the sled if we have snow or scooter now w/o snow. Were so close to scooter weather now I can't wait for the 50's (F) and cooler temps.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 11:13 am

I guess you're just very lucky! Walked a new trail this morning with my sibe for an hour and 10 mins. Then he got to run and play with the neighbors pit bull afterward. Then brought him home and he did zoomies in the backyard for another 15 mins or so and spent another 5-10 min digging in his sandbox. Then he went bonkers chasing bees in the yard. He still had tons of energy to burn after all that when I finally dragged his butt into the house so I could have breakfast. Biking with him doesn't tire him out either...I'm convinced that this dog is impossible to wear out. Wouldn't have it any other way though. Smile

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Help   Rescue Help - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rescue Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next