It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Malnurished and desperate rescue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:13 am

Glad the vet visit went so well!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:25 am

Fantastic! Congrats - you're such an awesome (foster?) doggie dad! Smile

Some people add olive oil (a good quality one), we add salmon oil to their food - it's great for their coat. Sorry to say that most vets don't know very much about nutrition, especially ones pushing Science Diet (ugh) - it's just not a topic covered in vet school. Definitely do what you feel is right and do your research. Sounds like he's doing great so far! Has he been dewormed? If not, you may want to get Cali dewormed at the same time since you never know what she ate at that house (other than candy wrappers!) Smile
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:32 am

I have dewormed him. I used Safe-guard Canine Dewormer. The vet said if I didn't hear anything from him today by end of business, then he was clear in his stools and by wed evening about heartworms. So you think I should go ahead and get some dewormer for cali also just as a precaution? I don't mind at all.

Took Cali and Weldon (changed name due to not responding) to my sister in laws house with her mastiff, 2 dauchounds, and 1 overweight dog that i don't remember the breed. They both did great! i have a video of Cali and I after to add here and lots of pics to show. Also got pics of them on our walk today. I took Weldon's leash off to see if he would go drop a #2- he did, AND Cali kept her speed slower to be beside him and to keep an eye on him- her leash was relaxed and great.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 am

That's great news, and if you had a fecal done that comes back negative no need for another dewormer.

Does he take his time with the food he has been eating? If there's a chance that he'll gorge himself on food then I definitely would not free feed to avoid shocking his system.

As for an oil supplement, I would highly recommend extra virgin coconut oil. It's very high calorie and can help put weight on while improving the skin and coat. I use coconut oil with my own dogs.

Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Okay, Thanks

He doesn't completely eat the bowl when its there, seems to only eat about 2 cups each time. This morning his is picking up Cali's habits and not eating his food for some reason.

Thanks on the oil recommendation, I'll get some of that when out today.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:46 am

Well Indy, now named Weldon, is doing great. He is finally starting to act like a puppy he never got to be. Today was the first time he actually played with a chew toy. He is showing some aggression tid bits that we are not exactly happy about. I have passed him to my sister in law because of his load barking when the lights go out and he is not in the same room I am. I already have Cali in my room and don't want issues to deal with while I am asleep. Weldon came from her family, so she was okay with that, plus he had major diarreha that i didn't want to have to clean up if an accident happened indoors. She has a fully fenced in yard. Today though, he grazed my nephews face with a tooth when he snapped at him. We don't know what actually happened, but we blame both for it. I think the kid got too close to him when he wasn't sure of what all was going on and he showed he was scared. So she is talking with people to find a no kill shelter for him to go to soon. She said if its a choice between him or the kid, the kid wins. And he acted up twice so she is unsure of what to do. i told her to buy a dog house, keep the kid away from dogs,(this isn't the first time he has done things we have told him not to do, he is soon to be 6) and leave him outside just to be safe.

We shall see

thanks guys
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Well it appears our lil Weldon is doing something like a relapse into his old ways. My sister in law, how has him now, says he is not eating or drinking. He wouldn't even have a treat. All he does is lay in his crate or blanket in the front room. I went over and seen him today and he wasn't his normal excited self to see me like I am used to. This evening she had to pick him up and carry him to the door to go potty. I asked her if she seen him get into anything and she said not that she was aware of. He has been on kibble, veg oil, and pumpkin. When he was here he drank water alot and great, ate great, then over at her house he would eat and drink great for a few days, from Wed-Sat nite...great...this morning he hit a wall...not sure.

Any thoughts??

Thanks alot guys again for this help
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 10:26 pm

He might be sick. Might not be a bad idea to give your vet a shout in the morning. I hope it's nothing serious and he rebounds quickly!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks, We are calling as soon as they open. I got a text that said she is afraid Weldon is going to pass away over nite on the living room floor.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 10:39 pm

Is his stomach distended? Bloat can be common in malnourished dogs, that's why most common advice is to feed them a little bit multiple times a day. If it is bloat it's an emergency situtation that can be fatal within hours.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 10:59 pm

I sent her an text asking, she said he doesn't have the symptoms of it, but thinks since he is so small size it could be possible.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 11:30 pm

If he has eaten to well after being malnourished his digestive track is probably hurting like hell.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Well the vet did his checks last nite/this morning and Weldon has parvo. He got some meds and fluids at the vets office and was sent home with a couple more meds. Brought him home and he was more his usual self then b4. He walked around and outside some. He is drinking now. Going over later today to check in on him and bring him some chicken to boil up for his food for a couple days.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:15 pm

That's a nasty virus, I hope he gets well. I would thoroughly disinfect everything that he came into contact with bleach. Also if it was me I would get Cali tested if they shared the same environment.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Yeah, the vet said to get her tested. we are cleaning everything around here and sis in laws house. Taking her later to get checked out.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Hope all goes well for Cali and Weldon! Keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Will do. Thanks alot guys for your help, at least we got it figured out, but I don't like the outcome that much.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:35 am

Cali got a clean negative test!!! Weldon is doing great today, I don't have the whole list of stuff he is put on since my sis in law has all the paperwork for him. He is on antibiotics alot. He got fluids last nite and then today. Last nite he had a fever of 105.5 and called the local vet this morning about everything and they said to recheck temp by noon and if not 103 or below to call back. Well he was 104.5 and called the vet. they requested to see him themselves. He got a complete check up again and more fluids and antibiotics plus a antivomit med. Weldon is on a bland diet with boiled chicken, rice, canned food (hill's gastro) all mixed up. He loves it. Fed him out of hands at first because he couldn't get his head up or stand this morning. Now at dinner he stood up great!! and ate it all. We are trying to give him petalyte also but not a big fan of that. We got a bowl movement and it was FIRM...i have been told to expect diarreha and haven't had it since saturday afternoon. The only think I don't like is he has had 2 negative parvo tests and they are treating for it...is this common? Let me know what you guys think. I might have left some info out and if you want more, let me know
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:42 am

Try different flavors of the Pedialyte, and seriously just go to Walgreen's and get their generic version. It's the exact same thing and something like half the price (and IMO tastes better, too).

I'm so glad to hear he's doing so much better tonight, my heart just sank when I saw earlier that it was Parvo. Glad that Cali is negative, and I wish Weldon a speedy recovery!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:50 am

Well yeah, we have the cheap version...dunno brand.

thanks alot for your thoughts on both. I hope at least we have it right, since both tests are negative for parvo...being a newbee to parvo I am not understanding how they are so sure of it being parvo without having a positive test result.

the best part of Weldon is he is okay and happy when his "mom" takes care of him, but he gets crazy excited when "daddy" comes to see him...his tail wags so hard his whole body shakes side to side and he trots to see me...gotta love that!!!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:59 am

Glad Cali got a clean bill of health, and that Weldon is doing better!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 2:06 am

Was soo great to get her checked out, but since I have spent alot of time away from her and at Sis in law's house with weldon..her "divaness" has increased today. I didn't give her the walk amount I like and I am paying for it. I am walking her tomorrow def her 6 miles we normally do...not liking this growling alot...happens alot though..she is great dog to me even if vocal
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 2:43 am

Most vets treat for parvo symptoms even though the test is negative. There are countless times that a puppy comes in that we all know has parvo, but they test negative, but we treat them the same. The snap tests only test positive when they are in full blown vomiting and bloody diarrhea. Glad that he is doing better Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:17 am

Well another day and another GREAT day for Weldon. He got his last dose of fluids and got his meds (antiboitics) and he was a good trooper for the fluids, only yelped a little bit. But like normal he was okay since daddy was holding and petting him. At the vets office when I couldn't, he yelped the whole time, and in a tiny room his high pitch yelp is hard on my ears when he does it for a minute straight. He stools are 90% solid. He is eating rice, chicken, sensitive stomach can food, and a little bit of blue buffalo (sis in law feeds her dogs that). We are going to talk to the vet about what food to go on. we were told pure puppy food might be too rich for him. We were thinking Diamond Natural Large Breed puppy instead of the plain Diamond Puppy we got him b4 we knew how bad he was.

Thanks for all your help and support to getting Weldon back to normal
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:36 am

Well my sis and law thought she might just put him on the food her other dogs are on and that is Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain.

I imagine he would do great on that....right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Malnurished and desperate rescue

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next