It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BayAreaHuskies
Newborn
Newborn

Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? Empty
PostSubject: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:10 pm

I'm curious about how many husky owners out there are not really interested in having kids but treat their huskies like one.

The reason I ask is because I'm one of those people with no interest in having kids. I like them just fine, and enjoy playing with nieces and nephews and everything. But I have no interest in having my own, and that hasn't changed in the last decade though everyone told me it would.

BUT, once I got a husky (and even though I've always been a dog lover) I've noticed that I act just like a parent with her now. She's the thing I'm most proud of, and I plan my whole life around her and her needs. And most of the day I'm wondering what she's doing and if she's okay. And the stupidest things make me so proud of her.

Anyway, I find it all pretty sickening as someone who generally isn't like that. But I can't help it. Is there anyone out there who has a similar story? Like I said, I've had several dogs before, and loved them all to death. But I never treated them the way I treat this stupid husky.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:17 pm

I absolutely LOVE kids, but I will never have any of my own. First off, I can't & Second off, my lifestyle is too "get up and go" to have kids. I don't think about anything when I want to take off for something. I just leave.

That being said, my huskies, as well as my poms, ARE my children. They get spoiled, they get pampered, and a lot of times, they get better care than I do. I LOVE my poms, but my huskies are my pride and joy. Hands down.

I am a photog minor in school, and ALL of my school photos are of the huskies. I post on facebook about EVERYTHING they do. I brag about how smart they are. I call my GF to find out if they are ok when I am at school. I panick at the smallest thing with them. I am completely and utterly in LOVE!

I am majoring in psychology and will use everything I learn in my classes on them, I spend hours on this forum and other sites, searching for ways to do new things with them. I would pack up my Huskies before I would worry about my gf! lol!

Last edited by Tiff&Kya on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:23 pm

My boyfriend and I don't have or want children, and definitely treat our husky like our child. Sometimes I embarrassingly tell too many "guess what cute thing my dog did..." stories. My boyfriend used to say he wanted kids, but now says Phantom fills that void perfectly. Haha
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:27 pm

I'm the same way... Everyone has been tellin me my whole life I will want kids... Nope, not at all... Not even close, but my dog is like my child for sure, I am always limited to what I can do because I need to watch my dog... People don't understand owning a husky.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:30 pm

brady.law wrote:
I'm the same way... Everyone has been tellin me my whole life I will want kids... Nope, not at all... Not even close, but my dog is like my child for sure, I am always limited to what I can do because I need to watch my dog... People don't understand owning a husky.

When I go do something, I just take my pack with me. LOL. I am NEVER without my pack!
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Lol I wish I could!
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:43 pm

brady.law wrote:
I am always limited to what I can do because I need to watch my dog... People don't understand owning a husky.
Agreed. If we have to go on multi-day trips where we can't bring the dog I drive 2 hours EACH way to leave Phantom with my Grandma. Between being a shelter dog and separation anxiety, over-night stays in kennels leave her traumatized but she sure does love her Grammy.
Back to top Go down
jedwards
Teenager
Teenager
jedwards

Female Join date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:46 pm

I have a 5 year old daughter but Chase is my baby boy! I treat him just like he is my son Smile Talk about him all the time, post on facebook about him, and take tons of pictures of him.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Never wanted kids but made that decision long before I got a dog.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:17 pm

I honestly would want ONE kid, but that might not be in our future. I'm pretty ok with that (I think). With that said Mya and Kody are MY KIDS. Whether I had an actual human baby or not they would still ALWAYS be my kids. I brag about them, take way too many pics, and spoil them more then I spoil myself. People think i'm obsessed with my dogs and guess what? I probably am! How can you not be? They're the cutest/smartest/funniest breed like ever!

You know what gets annoying though? When people comment saying "you guys need kids" or "when are you going to have a kid" or " they're dogs, wait till you have kids". WTF! Seriously, you don't own a husky and don't know anything about the relationship that WE have with our huskies!!! Mad
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:28 pm

I dunno if we're going to have a kid. Probably, but for now my girls and my kitty brothers are my babies. If we have a kid, the girls are going to be like sisters to it. And if we have a kid, we definitely want to have it while we still have Siku and Elara around. Siku loves kids and we would want our kid to grow up with them in it's life.

Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:01 pm

BayAreaHuskies wrote:
I'm curious about how many husky owners out there are not really interested in having kids but treat their huskies like one.

The reason I ask is because I'm one of those people with no interest in having kids. I like them just fine, and enjoy playing with nieces and nephews and everything. But I have no interest in having my own, and that hasn't changed in the last decade though everyone told me it would.

BUT, once I got a husky (and even though I've always been a dog lover) I've noticed that I act just like a parent with her now. She's the thing I'm most proud of, and I plan my whole life around her and her needs. And most of the day I'm wondering what she's doing and if she's okay. And the stupidest things make me so proud of her.

Anyway, I find it all pretty sickening as someone who generally isn't like that. But I can't help it. Is there anyone out there who has a similar story? Like I said, I've had several dogs before, and loved them all to death. But I never treated them the way I treat this stupid husky.

I'm EXACTLY the same way! When people talk about their children, I will chime in, '...oh! And Ginger and Storm? The other day at the park....'

We plan our activities around Ginger and Storm and will take them everywhere we can. And if we can't take them, one of us stays home with them - Hubby is going to meet up with his sister from New Zealand in California at his dad's - I'm staying back with the furbabies. Then my niece's graduation and dance recital in June, I'm going and hubby is staying back. We have friends watching Ginger and Storm when we go to Hawaii, but they are husky owners and they all get along great so it'll be a week long husky party fun while we're gone.

Lordbroll wrote:
Never wanted kids but made that decision long before I got a dog.
Ditto here! I was never a dog person. Ginger and Storm are my first dogs. Ever. Hubby was the one that wanted a dog and he had certain breeds in mind: Akita (he had one growing up) or Husky (lived with a house full of roommates with huskies in college). I have allergies to animals - we tested an Akita first and it was a no go. Then we met an Akita-Husky mix - no go either. Then we met Ginger and 2 hours of no reaction. We took her home.

....and I don't think I see myself without one ever again.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:03 pm

I don't know if I'll have a kid. Not anytime soon if we do decide. Personally, if humans were evaluated like many good breeders evaluate their breeding stock - I wouldn't be getting bred and I think I'll always have that view point. There aren't enough good qualities about me (and those not so good qualities aren't fixed by my better half lol) that should be reproduced.

Having said that - I guess after reading some of these stories Bella would be just like my kid. I know Kurt thinks of her has our kid. But to me she's just my baby. She is my constant. She is my rock when the waters get rough. She's the reason I realize I can't commit the mass murder on all of the people who piss me off regularly (this is a joke/sarcasm btw) because I realize she would be absolutely lost without me, literally. But just like a kid - she is the one thing I am constantly proud of and on the reverse side of the coin - she constantly annoys me and gets into trouble. She's the reason I get up in the morning and scowl because she's screaming her head off some days and the reason I get up with a smile and laugh because howling in my ear and tearing the blankets off of me is a great way to start a day. I guess in a way she could be my kid. Very Happy

Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Niraya wrote:
I don't know if I'll have a kid. Not anytime soon if we do decide. Personally, if humans were evaluated like many good breeders evaluate their breeding stock - I wouldn't be getting bred and I think I'll always have that view point. There aren't enough good qualities about me (and those not so good qualities aren't fixed by my better half lol) that should be reproduced.

Pretty much knew that too. I decided when I was about 26 yrs old, half blind, 2/3 deaf, and raised by in my opinion rather abusive parents. No way in hell was I going to guinea pig a child to see if I'd be a better parent then what went down in my life. Plus my genetic code just plain sucks.

Love my Huskies thou and probably will die someday doing things with them so they are happy.
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:22 pm

I have kids but they are all grown and on their own and now they have kids. I live really really far away from them Smile
So now I have dogs and it is much easier then the kids.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 12:38 am

I've never really wanted kids, and I don't even think I could do to medical issues. Luka and Kitty are definitly my babies! My parents have been very accepting of my decision not to have kids. They realized that the dogs ARE their grandkids, and spoil them just like they would human kids. The dogs go with us everywhere. I can't even imagine going on a vacation without them, I would miss them too much!

Just like any human kid, I just want what is best for them, and will do anything within my power to make sure they have the best life possible, in addition to spoiling the heck out of them occasionally!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 12:51 am

No kids for us and I sure hope none in the future! S&J are our kids, always will be. My sis has a boy and girl so my mom is happy and ken has a younger sister that wants kids later in life so kens mom should be covered.

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 1:03 am

No kids here, but I'd take a whole hers of 'me if I could. The wife and I will have some one of these days.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 2:44 am

I haven't really decided, Keaton really wants one kid in the future. but veryyyyy far in the future lol!

My dogs are definitely our babies, and are treated as such Smile The look on peoples faces when I tell them that I dropped the dogs off at daycare is always my favorite!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:27 am

I've always wanted kids and huskies. My dogs were my child substitutes for the longest time but now I've just had my first child and such a void was filled already. I do treat my dogs like kids to an extent, but it's just not the same.

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:45 am

Not now, but I do want kids. I even get baby fever, then again I also get puppy fever.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 10:21 am

No kids here! I go back and forth if I want kids or not.

For now I am perfectly satisfied with 5 Huskies Very Happy

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:10 am

MelissaI wrote:
I honestly would want ONE kid, but that might not be in our future. I'm pretty ok with that (I think). With that said Mya and Kody are MY KIDS. Whether I had an actual human baby or not they would still ALWAYS be my kids. I brag about them, take way too many pics, and spoil them more then I spoil myself. People think i'm obsessed with my dogs and guess what? I probably am! How can you not be? They're the cutest/smartest/funniest breed like ever!

You know what gets annoying though? When people comment saying "you guys need kids" or "when are you going to have a kid" or " they're dogs, wait till you have kids". WTF! Seriously, you don't own a husky and don't know anything about the relationship that WE have with our huskies!!! Mad

I get told all the time I'm obsessed. I know I am. I don't care.

My sister always tells me the same thing "They are just dogs, when you have kids you will understand." I wish people would quit pushing it!

That being said, my sister is very understanding, and will call me on mother's day and tell me happy "furmommy" day. Smile
Back to top Go down
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:20 am

I've got 3 kids, but I will say that having kids has made me appreciate the pups more.....most of the time. Wink
Back to top Go down
vtomlinson
Newborn
Newborn
vtomlinson

Female Join date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 12:20 pm

I have no kids either. I raised my stepson for 15 years but now its just the puppies. I annoy my friends and coworkers with my husky stories too. But my boss asks me a couple of times a week what the dogs are up to... and you know they're always up to something!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?   Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids? Empty

Back to top Go down

Curious Question: Number of husky owners who don't have kids?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next