It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

From Malamute to Husky...mistake?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
judalina
Puppy
Puppy
judalina

From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:44 am

Ninja wrote:
We still have him. My wife has listed him on a few places and talked to some rescue groups.

The training and time commitment to a puppy isn't the problem at all. We're all still training and working with Ninja every day. It's the time and ability to exercise the dog properly and the general energy level of a Husky that we were not prepared for.

We're already looking around at Mal puppies.

this makes me so sad Sad although i understand where you are coming from...does it seem like he has much more energy even after you guys walk him? rocky used to stop and sit down on walks for like 5 minutes when he was puppy lol like he was tired and i would look at him like "aren't you a husky??" hopefully you guys find a really good home for him (i'm crossing my fingers though that he rubs off on you guys and you decide to keep him Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 10:47 am

Depsite all the research we did before getting our Husky, I was still totally overwhelmed after taking him home. It wasn't his energy level so much as the change to the household and the normal family routine. I can admit, that after a bit of a breakdown, I admitted to my husband that I thought bringing him back to the breeder was the right thing to do. That was an awful conversation filled with many tears. But before going to bed that evening, I decided to sleep on things before making that phone call. By the next morning, I felt a little better for some reason and we decided to give it a little more time, and with that extra time, I became more and more comfortable. It's now been about 20 weeks since that conversation and despite his newfound teenage brattines, I love my little guy so much, that I couldn't imagine him not being with us!

You'll know in your heart if giving him a better home is the right choice, but don't be surprised if you slowly change your mind.

And for what it's worth, my husband and I aren't runners, so our husky is walked twice per day. Not all husky's require heavy duty exercise. He is fitting into our home so nicely and adjusting to our lifestyle.

Good luck with whatever happens!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 1:01 pm

Ninja wrote:
We still have him. My wife has listed him on a few places and talked to some rescue groups.

The training and time commitment to a puppy isn't the problem at all. We're all still training and working with Ninja every day. It's the time and ability to exercise the dog properly and the general energy level of a Husky that we were not prepared for.

We're already looking around at Mal puppies.

I find this a bit frustrating. Ninja is far too young for you to know what his energy level will require as an adult. All huskies are different, with two 1/2 hour walks every day my two are more than happy to be couch potatoes. We give them kongs and antlers to allow them mental play and they sleep through the night with no issues. It's not too much to handle for me or my fiance, and we are very busy people. I work two jobs and go to school full time, Chris is works for the largest electrical company in the state and thankfully, the way our schedules work there is almost always someone home, give or take a few hours.

Even with all of this, it has never been an issue to take the dogs for a walk. I do not run them and I don't take them for 5 mile walks. They aren't crazy, because they have a lot of mental stimulation. It is completely manageable.

I think you are failing to realize that no matter what the dog, its going to have to be exercised a lot in the first year. Almost ALL puppies are going to have energy and destructive behavior when they are little. They are puppies, husky or not. My brother has a black lab that requires more walking than my male 6 mos. old husky.

I truly think it is unfair for you to get rid of the husky puppy because you cannot commit to walking him every day and then start your search for a malamute puppy while the puppy you have is still there. Yes, he is a puppy and will probably get rescued regardless, but you are adding one more puppy to the rescue/pound population and then going to get another high energy breed.

Obviously you had a malamute before, perhaps your malamute was a couch potato and liked to sit around. Not all malamutes are like this, in fact they are also labeled as high energy breeds. I have a dear friend with a malamute who needs to walk at least two hours a day in order to get his energy out. He is 2 and he hasn't gotten any less energetic.

I may receive scrutiny for this, but I am very disappointed that you have decided to, in away, dump one puppy and get another. This is just one reason why we have so many dogs in shelters.

I know you have had a malamute already, but please do a little more research, because malamutes are high energy, they dig, they are working breeds and they pose a lot of the same risks as huskies.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 1:54 pm

^^^ Well said.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 1:59 pm

I 100% agree with Megan. I was thinking the exact same thing from the beginning, just didn't say it (so glad you did though)!
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 2:28 pm

100% agree with Megan as well. If you can't commit to this puppy, you don't need to look at bringing another one in. You need to adopt an older dog, probably not a northern/working breed.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 2:48 pm

I think we can all attest to the fact that each dog (regardless of it's breed) is different. I probably had the lowest energy Border Collie ever imaginable.

If you feel that you really cannot handle the energy requirements of a young Husky- I would also advocate the older Malamute rescue option. All puppies- regardless of breed are tiring. So to rehome this puppy and purchase a Malamute puppy to "fit" your life better... Who's to say that puppy won't be a higher energy pup? Or even dog? Truthfully if exercise requirements are that big of an issue- the only way to tell is by getting an adult.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 3:52 pm

I agree with what Megan and Kristina said..

LIke I said earlier when we got our first husky a year ago I didn't know what to do so I started walking him twice a day for about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. Blaze had become the quit the gentleman.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 4:12 pm

I wasn't gonna comment on this because I feel as Megan does. If you can't handle the puppy stage with your schedule and if not everyone is committed to an exercise regime, then adopt an adult. (although adult dogs need more exercise that puppies sometimes) You never know, the pup you have now may be lower energy. From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 2144500265

ETA- Dogs (regardless of breed) adapt to your schedule as well. I work during the weekdays and that's when Kale sleeps, even on weekends he sleeps during the mid afternoon because that's what he's used to. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 4:39 pm

awww so adorable!
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 4:45 pm

I gotta say I agree with Megan and all those who follow. Its one thing to find a new home for you husky puppy because you can't handle him. Its quite another to trade him in for a Mal. If a Mal is what you wanted you should have waited.

Its kind of like putting your human daughter up for adoption because you really wanted a son. I know that some people think dogs are just pets. But to most of us on here they are FAMILY and you don't trade family.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 5:11 pm

I don't know Malamutes, but I have heard that they can be more "testy" with people. We love having a dog that we trust around children. One of the things that we enjoy doing is taking Sabaka with us to most of our kids' outdoor activities. Even though this is not a tiring, 5-mile jaunt, it is extremely mentally challenging and, for our husky, works just as well to tire him out. Since you have a young child, your pup will grow up loving the interaction he can have at soccer games, or parks, or bike trails... Huskies do not really like to be alone. It sounds like since you have a wife who stays home and a young child who (I assume) enjoys a few outside activities, you already have a recipe for husky-owning success!

I guess I'm saying that not all "activities" you do with your husky need to be strenuous running or cycling or hiking. Going anywhere with you and your family will be enjoyable and stimulating for him.

Our 16-year old and 11-year old sons have really never known life without huskies (well, there was that couple year "dog break"... but I digress). Within a few weeks our puppy was trained to not nip at children. As a matter of fact, this spring when our 4-year old twin nephews visited, their mom commented that her sister's Bishon-Shitzu mix is very "nippy" with the boys and Sabaka was not.

A puppy's a puppy and since you say that you cannot keep this cutie, I question whether you are ready for the responsibility of any puppy.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 5:24 pm

I'll chime in here and also advocate looking at older malamute rescues - since it sounds like an older dog may better fit your lifestyle. If you give your general location (state), we can help look.
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 6:38 pm

I have a quick thing to add. I live in a one bed room apartment. I take Khuno for one or two walks a day... roughly an hour each. He needed more when he was younger, but now that he's a year old he doens't need it as long.

I'm glad you are going to find a good home instead of going back to the "breeder".
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 8:17 pm

I would wait. If he's just a normal puppy then you don't know his energy leveles as an adult. There are plenty of huskies (mine included) who aren't hyper/distructive. I dont even exersize kiara everyday and she does fine.. Even when I do, 20 minute bike ride and she is dead (she is 2 1/2 years old) Huskies are known for their energy and possibly being destructive if you get one who really like to have a job running and pulling... But it's also very common to have one who is like any other dog energy level wise.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 10:50 pm

I can understand everyone feelings and frustrations. And everyone may be right about his energy level but I was basing his future more on what I've ready on many, many husky sites advocating the breed needs 5 mile runs per day and even that might not be enough. Many of you are saying that may not be the case. Being a puppy isn't a problem. I get up numerous times at night to pee him. He's being crate trained (which is coming along nicely, still whines and howls but it's only 20-40 minutes). I walk him every morning and afternoon. We wife plays with him during the day. We're doing the Kongs and other things to keep his interest. His favorite thing is a plastic I can't believe it's not butter tub. He thinks sliding it across the floor is the greatest thing.

The bottom line is we rushed into getting him because we missed our Mal that passed away 2 months ago. I didn't know if I could emotionally handle another Mal that would remind me of my previous one. I assumed (and yes I did make an ass out of myself) that Huskies were smaller Mals with different color eyes. Every day that goes by I see and read about more and more differences and realize how much I love the Mal breed. Nothing at all wrong with Huskies, it's just a matter of personal preference.

We're now trying to find him a good home that he deserves. We realized only a few days after we brought him home. The breeder was perfectly willing to take him back but I don't feel that would be a good situation based on what I've said in previous posts so I'm trying to do right by the little guy and put him in the best situation possible for him to be a happy pup.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 10:55 pm

Yes well finding a home for a husky puppy won't be difficult. It is unfortunate though.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Personally I would get in touch with husky rescues near you and ask them to advertise him and do applications on him so they can ensure he goes to a home that this time is permanent, or even just let you surrender him to them. Usually I say return to the breeder, but since they really weren't a "breeder" I truly believe getting a rescue involved (who knows what makes a very good home for this specific breed) is the best course of action.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 11:12 pm

You know your situation better than anyone else. If you truly feel that a Husky is not a good fit then you should find him a new home. I do not think you should wait and gamble on his temperament, rehome him now when he has the best possible chance of finding a good and hopefully forever home. Just make sure you do interviews and are as thorough as possible in finding him a home.

It takes a lot to admit to a mistake and try to correct it.

Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:56 pm

PS- Like what was mentioned, this is unfortunate, however... All dogs are different, you may be gambling with his temperament by keeping him, you will also be doing the same thing with a new dog... There are dogs that are known to be "low maintenance" and very well turn out to be the exact opposite... So if you get a new Mally, you will be taking the same gamble as far as temperament and the required exercise.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:13 pm

cmanding wrote:
Just wanted to give a different perspective...
I am not familiar with Malamutes, and only have just barely 2 years experience of owning a dog, let alone it being huskies. But I think I must have 2 of the rare mellow huskies around.

I adopted Ginger in August 2010 at around age 3.5. I adopted Storm in April 2011 - he turned 7 this past May. From day 1 of adopting either of them, they're very mellow. I believe they still prefer to be around their humans as much as possible, but can be left home alone for hours. They play together about 2 minutes in the morning and about 2 minutes early evening. Other than that, they are laying around or sleeping. However, when it's time to hike, or go to the dog park or snowshoe, they are up and at it, but not crazed with energy. They don't pull when on a leash, but I don't think I'll ever get to a point to where I'd be completely confident with them being off leash until they are much older.

I guess I am blessed by the husky heavens above with 2 mellow huskies...

I am in the same boat with Claudia. I have the laziest huskies EVER.

Only you know what is best for you, and though I hate seeing dogs rehomed because of this reason, it is in the best interest of the dog to find a suitable home.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 12:30 am

I love my mals. I have met some hyper mals though. Most are calm. Maggie was the worlds calmest puppy. What do you want to know about mals? Smile
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 1:39 am

Every dog is different. You may have a husky puppy on your hands that will develop into the most mellow dog ever. You may get a mal and they may be the most hyperactive dog. I've seen lazy huskies and I've seen out of control mals. It all depends on how the owner raises them and molds them into the dog they'd like them to be. I have never crated my two and they never destroy anything, and I have gone several days with not taking them for a walk or run and they've been content laying around and entertaining eachother for a few minutes. It's not like all huskies have these concerning behaviors, and honestly if you work with them hard enough you can ensure you don't have these issues you are not too keen on. Koda was a rough puppy, but I looked for advice, worked with him as best I could, and he pretty much has no flaws aside from he will try to play chase if let loose before coming home (though he will come back once he realizes the game is over). I took all the experience of what I learned raising Koda, plus everything I learned from becoming a certified dog trainer at my old job, and Rogue has been the biggest pleasure ever to raise and from day one I got compliments on what a good puppy she was. Any breed of dog isn't automatically amazing for the most part, it's up to the owners to instill good behaviors.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Puppy
Puppy
Fenrir

Male Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 12:30 pm

Like what everyone else has been saying, ANY puppy is going to be hyperactive. If he isn't destroying your upholstery, I'd be willing to say he's going to taper down. My pup (10 months now) is very tranquil, calm, quiet. I don't walk him 4-5 miles a day. I give him a few hours at the dog park at 7pm due to the heatwave and he's good to go. I could skip days if I wanted, but eh. As long as he gets that exercise, he'll be content to sleep pretty much until we go again. I mean, yeah, he gets up and plays for a bit every few hours, but he's by no means an energy monster.

Addendum: But, as many have likely said, I am of the opinion that, if you don't think a husky is a good fit, it's a good idea to contact a husky rescue about it. Huskies are not everybody dogs, they are demanding little divas, drama queens, escape artists, and you've got to be able to handle that. You can't expect a husky to be dedicated and obedient like a lab. Not happening.
Back to top Go down
mayazaayman
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-04-21

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 pm

I struggle to come to terms with what I am reading here. I have had several breeds in the past, but all of them were just dogs. Then I got my husky cross, and she has opened my eyes to this breed, something I would never have considered in the past. They are not dogs, they are superior to that. I would love a Malamute too, but not at the expense of my 2.

Maya is a fullbreed Siberian, and is now 4 months old. She gives us no trouble at all. What we do, perhaps different, is that we have treated both or dogs like children from day one. They are with us almost all the time, and when they were babies they slept on the bed with us. We had no howling at night, and both of them understood very quickly that peeing is not done indoors. They have a trapdoor to go out at night, and I only spent the first week waking up to take them out.

I really believe that 20 percent of a dog's personality, is breed, the rest is the environment. We were given all the warnings, and heard all the stories, even with Maya's parents, but we did not let that deter us, and we committed to our dogs from day one. I do believe firmly that a Husky is not a breed for families where both adults work. I am lucky that my wife is at home all the time, and my dogs are happy. We have taught them that the bathroom is their "crate" when we have to leave them alone, and they have taken to that with no problem, and can stay there for up to four hours without soiling.

I guess what I am saying is that you did not seem to commit to your puppy, and you will likely miss out on a fantastic breed. All the people in Cape Town that had problems with huskies have one thing in common, they all considered them to be dogs that you can lock up in the garden while the family goes off to work everyday.

As for puppy vs adult adoption, I prefer to go the puppy route, so that it is moulded into our lifestyle from young. Who knows how an adult dog was raised, unless you know the previous owners.

As a final note, Maya is now as big as my four year old daughter, and they dote on each other! I have lots of photos of them sleeping in each others arms. And my daughter can do just about anything, but Maya remains patient.

And neither Sheba nor Maya howls, unless we "talk" to them.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From Malamute to Husky...mistake?   From Malamute to Husky...mistake? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

From Malamute to Husky...mistake?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next