It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

School shooting in Connecticut.:(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:19 pm

so sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:20 pm

Ya i read that he killed his mom at the school and then he also killed someone at his house.. Not sure who.... But this is terrible... I remember when my school went on lock down for 9/11 and i didnt really know what was going on and i was a scared... I cant imagine what all these kids went through
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:35 pm

I'm seriously suck a wreck... this is SO crazy.

School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:38 pm

I'll just say I'm deeply saddened. My heart goes out to everyone effected and I wish them the very best on this terrible day.

I think most of all however I'm just so disappointed right.... Extremely Disappointed.

~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
I saw this a couple hours ago and it brought me to tears.

I'm not sure if the shooter committed suicide, but regardless he is dead. What I don't understand is if he was planning on killing himself, why take others down with you?

This is very sad indeed.may all those killed RIP and the families try their best to stay strong during these very tough times..

Not sure what set him off or got the ball rolling but to answer your question (if it's not rhetorical). Anger/Hatred can be a very powerful constructive or destructive motivator. Some people who plan on leaving this world depending on their "situation" may not be willing to leave silently into the night. Some people may be looking to gain attention and go out with a bang and in the process inflict maximum damage. It's a shame children had to be involved in this man's sick plot but there is only some much we can do to prevent these incidents from happening.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:49 pm

xredrainx wrote:
Hayden_69 wrote:
I saw this a couple hours ago and it brought me to tears.

I'm not sure if the shooter committed suicide, but regardless he is dead. What I don't understand is if he was planning on killing himself, why take others down with you?

This is very sad indeed.may all those killed RIP and the families try their best to stay strong during these very tough times..

Not sure what set him off or got the ball rolling but to answer your question (if it's not rhetorical). Anger/Hatred can be a very powerful constructive or destructive motivator. Some people who plan on leaving this world depending on their "situation" may not be willing to leave silently into the night. Some people may be looking to gain attention and go out with a bang and in the process inflict maximum damage. It's a shame children had to be involved in this man's sick plot but there is only some much we can do to prevent these incidents from happening.

In this country we can't do much. He doesn't want help, he doesn't get help. I hope buddy burns in hell for wanting to go out with a bang.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:50 pm

I just watched the CNN update, sadly 20 kids were killed, 6 adults, his brother at home and the shooter. 1 person injured

Heartbreaking. I cannot imagine what those families are dealing with. My heart goes out to them.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:54 pm

I can't even stomach things like this. Thinking of that being my kid or sibling brings me to tears. I hate what's happening in this world..
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:57 pm

On Fox news they are still saying dead mother and father. Brother is possibly 2nd shooter but that's about it.

Heather I agree with you on that one. Made my family think about my young cousins, what if it was them, I can't even imagine..
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 7:20 pm

Such a terrible tragedy.

Something is truly wrong with society when such a young person feels this is any sort of answer to whatever problem there is...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 7:27 pm

And what is even worse they keep changing the names and who shot who and who is dead.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 8:11 pm

And therein lies my problem with the news...

Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Problem with this is the constant coverage on this subject. Yeah, this is a tragedy, but most psychologists don't recommend that. Too much exposure can give people who are on the brink of going postal, to cross that line and well, go postal.

Here's a quote from someone that is living in Newtown

Quote :
Are you happy, 24 hours news media? You've got what you wanted, right? You've got something to talk about for days, and every December 14th you can remind us of a day that will haunt Newtown until the earth shatters into the emptiness of space (although for us that happened yesterday). Now you can have 25 pieces of fodder to discuss mental illness, gun control, safety regulations, and what ever else you need. You have a list of 20 children and 5 heroes and you can call up every one of their names, hardcore atheists and Christians, when trying to convert people. Wonderful!

I am so glad I have yet to read a comment in this thread about religion, gun control, etc...Sadly, this is a time for mourning and respect, not an onslaught of news vans and helicopters with reporters trying to get the scoop on the story. No one needs specific names. All the rest of the world needs to know is the # dead and the fact that the shooter is dead. Now move on to investigating motives, etc. If you're a true friend/relative and know someone who lives in Newport, a phone call should have been dispatched yesterday. Sigh...I just don't know
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Here's the address from the president regarding this incident if anybody is interested in watching:

https://youtu.be/mIA0W69U2_Y
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 12:41 am

Koda wrote:

When media doesn't know the facts they'll make them up and hope they are correct. If they were correct then they claim they have a scoop if they were wrong then it just isn't mentioned again like it never was said. That is why the media can't be relied upon.

I lifted this from my Fartbook:

Morgan Freeman's statement about these random shootings....

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you kn
ow the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

Len Che: Exactly what I've been harping about all along. As long as the media endorses this copycat mentality there will be others more then happy to oblige. Very very sick but very very true. When this crap hits the fan shoot the offender with no name recognition just name the victims. To those gun control prohibitionist yes it could have easily been a different weapon used. How many children could defend themselves against a man with a knife, club or whatever tool of perversion, it happens around the world all to often.
Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:34 am

Here4thePics wrote:
Koda wrote:

When media doesn't know the facts they'll make them up and hope they are correct. If they were correct then they claim they have a scoop if they were wrong then it just isn't mentioned again like it never was said. That is why the media can't be relied upon.

I lifted this from my Fartbook:

Morgan Freeman's statement about these random shootings....

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you kn
ow the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

Len Che: Exactly what I've been harping about all along. As long as the media endorses this copycat mentality there will be others more then happy to oblige. Very very sick but very very true. When this crap hits the fan shoot the offender with no name recognition just name the victims. To those gun control prohibitionist yes it could have easily been a different weapon used. How many children could defend themselves against a man with a knife, club or whatever tool of perversion, it happens around the world all to often.

Although Morgan Freeman never said that, it is how the media works. Sadly, it's not changing anytime soon.

Also Connecticut is one of the highest ranking states in terms of gun control laws, according to Brady's website where they rank the laws. Let's be honest, there will be no way of eliminating guns unless it's a Federal law and even then, ,it would take time. It's not the weapon, it's the person like you said. It just happens to be that the weapon is a lot more effective at killing from range than a knife.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:39 am

I'm sorry but if you honestly think the US will ever be completely rid of guns you are ridiculous even with a Federal Law. It will be just like with alcohol. There will be one guy who will be the Al Capone of guns. It won't happen.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:35 am

Exactly my point. Right now your going to see every Sarah Brady fan come out of the wood work calling for the elimination of the 2nd Amendment rights as we know them. Criminals will never abide to the gun laws, thus leaving the law abiding citizens even more vulnerable to freaks of man kind.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 10:25 am

Of course getting rid of all kinds of weapons won´t change anything. It is soceity that has to change. It might sound weird to some people but people like this freak that killed over 20 humans now, are victims of our soceity.

We have very strict weapon laws in Germany and things like this happen here as well. If you want to have a gun you´ll get one if the law wants you to or not.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:11 pm

So the students and faculty left from Sandy Hook Elementary School are being transferred to my Middle School. In case you didn't get a good idea of how close this shooting was to my childhood... it can't get anymore real than that. They will all be at Chalk Hill Middle School in Monroe, CT...the middle school I went to growing up. Sad

Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Tori,
That really is close to home. I just got a Christmas card from my friends in Easton which is close by. I used to work in Rocky Hill many, many years ago and I have been trying to remember why this town of Newtown seems so familiar. It is so scary. I had really bad nightmares about it the other night. Steve King could tap my nightmares for books. Hope all you know from the area are okay.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Saw this on facebook: http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

Although we don't know what (if any) mental illness he had, it's still worth reading...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 11:06 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Saw this on facebook: http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

Although we don't know what (if any) mental illness he had, it's still worth reading...

I normally try to refrain from cussing in this forum as of late ....BUT..... holy shit, that was quite an article.
good find, aroooooooooomom.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 pm

It's sad that we seem to be getting more information in Aus than what you guys do there.
It's such a terrible waste of life, without getting abused, the right to bear arms should not come before the right to life. These children's rights have been extinguished because this individuals mum was a gun ethusiast who had a number of weapons at her home, and he had the sick need to use them in such a manner.

Guns don't solve problems, they don't make the world safer and I think it's time to crack down on which right is more important. Just my 2cents.

http://www.news.com.au/world/feared-dead-in-school-shooting/story-fndir2ev-1226537283734
http://www.news.com.au/world/no-clear-motive-for-adam-lanzas-gun-rampage-say-connecticut-police/story-fndir2ev-1226538076592
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 am

Guns do make the world safer. If you've ever been at the wrong end of safety and out numbered by either thugs or someone breaking into your home, a gun will put the shift the balance of power back to where it belongs. I've been there and if it hadn't been for my 2nd Amendment rights then I might not be here. Wouldn't be so news worthy if it was reported that I stopped a crime from happening because I had a firearm.
More crimes are prevented by fire arms then committed by a huge margin. The media just doesn't report it. Amazes me that the media will advocate the elimination of the 2nd Amendment. When the one to follow after that would be the 1st, maybe it has already since most news is already generated by the government.

Gun control prevent these?:

Knives are the most common homicide weapon in Australia at 39 per cent, compared to firearms (13 per cent) based on figures from 2009-10.

Maybe knife control is next since they are advocating the same in the motherland.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School shooting in Connecticut.:(    School shooting in Connecticut.:(  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

School shooting in Connecticut.:(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next