It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

a few quick questions about my new husky pup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Niko24
Newborn
Newborn

a few quick questions about my new husky pup Empty
PostSubject: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 7:12 pm

hello!

I recently just welcomed a new husky pup last month. i got him when he was 8 weeks old. hes about 13 weeks now and eveyone in the household loves him! I had a husky when i was a lil boy but he was full grown so i didnt know what exactly it takes to raise a husky lol. my main concern is if my husky (niko) is eating right, getting enough excercise, overweight, etc

i take him outside everymorning for about 15-20 minutes for a potty break at around 715 am before i head to work. hes in his crate for about 5 hours while im at work and when i get home i take him for about a 30-45 minute walk. feed him one cup of Authority Puppy large breed afterwards. He pretty much runs and roams the house all day and night. usually feed him another cup of authority at around 830-9 pm. take him for another 30-45 minute walk after.

now of course we still take him out every 90 mins to 2 hours for a potty break. and every now and then we take him to the dog park to kill off some energy for the day.

athats pretty much the jist of our day to day schedule with our boy niko..

again im just wondering if im doing things right so far or if theres any suggestions or things you guys would reccommend changing as far as his diet, excercising, etc..

Thanks for the help!

feel free to ask any questions if you have any about what we do with niko on a day to day.

thanks again

Don

ps. not sure on how to up;load photos, if anyone can help please let me know so i can
Back to top Go down
Niko24
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 7:12 pm

[img]a few quick questions about my new husky pup Img_3212[/img]

heres a pic of niko...again hes 13 weeks
Back to top Go down
Niko24
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 7:14 pm

a few quick questions about my new husky pup IMG_3257
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Cute pup!
I think it would be wiser to take him for a couple, shorter walks. The general rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month of age, because you don't want to injure their growing joints. That doesn't mean you can't take him out several times, of course!
Huskies aren't large breed dogs, so large breed food is not necessary. How are his stools? I'm not familiar with the brand, but you can check out food ratings at dogfoodadvisor.com. A lot of people here feed grain free (this includes ingredients like rice) and we can really tell the difference in our dogs. Less fillers also means less poo, everyone likes less poo! Check out the nutrition threads for favorite foods/reccomendations. There are some great threads already out there, I hope you utilize the search function and browse around.
I'm raising my first husky pup too, and this forum has been an invaluable resource. Welcome! wave
Back to top Go down
Niko24
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 7:36 pm

The formula is a petsmart brand. It is chicken and rice grain free. It gets 3 stars on good advisory so is that good enough? Thanks for the advice, I'll def shorten the walks His stool are pretty good. A lol soft from time to time. Although he did have diarrhea recently due to our 4 yr old giving him a dozen dog treats lol. I know it's not a great pic but based off what u see, do u think he's overweight. He was the chunkier out of the liter we picked out of so I was just wondering. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Dot gave some good information and I don't think he is overweight he has tons of growing to do.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Welcome! You have such a cute pup!!

Seems like everything is okay so far, I know that people on here advise to use at least a four or five star rating for the food they pick on dogfoodadvisor.com, but it really is up to you.

Doesn't seem like the pup is overweight - it's just puppyhood. Smile

Only thing I want to point out though - make sure your pup has all of his shots (incl. rabies) before he goes to the dog park. But like I said, other than that, you're pretty much on track. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Dot pretty much said it. I'd take him on two or three 10 minute walks, might want to get him used to heeling now while he's easier to control! As Dot also said, I would get him on a regular puppy food, he won't need the large breed food as he's not a large breed. Also, just my two cents on the matter, but Petsmart doesn't seem to carry the best brands of food. If you have a Pet Supplies Plus or some kind of smaller chain pet store near you, they'll carry the more holistic brands of food. Huskies are notorious for their sensitive stomachs, you'll want to find a food that is grain free. Also a lot of huskies seem to have sensitivities to chicken so I have mine on a fish flavored kibble diet, something to think about.

So basically, shorter walks, regular breed puppy food, and grain-free food.

That aside, welcome to the forum! Niko is sure one stunning little guy Smile
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 pm

Niko24 wrote:
The formula is a petsmart brand. It is chicken and rice grain free.
If it has rice, it isn't really grain free . Rice is a cereal grain. It may be wheat free, but not grain free. I have seen some treats marketed as grain free, but are lamb and rice or chicken and rice, etc. So just to be clear, I don't doubt you that the package says that, but it's not Smile

Angela made a good point, I'd exercise caution bringing a puppy that isn't fully vaccinated to the dog park, or any high-dog-traffic areas where the dogs may not all be vaccinated.

Can't wait to see more pictures of him!
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:28 pm

I had a vet tell me to put mine on the puppy large breed as well. I was told because they get hip problems so easily that this dog food would help them grow there normal growth rate and they will not get it right away. But I will have mine on blue buffalo ... never switched her. Her stomach was uneasy at first because like what everyone says on here they have very sensitive stomach. But so far everything is great. I just home make my puppy treats just to make sure she gets the healthy stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:34 pm

Your Niko is adorable! I feed Taste of the Wild Grain free- I think you will find a lot of people who find their dogs have less issues with inflammation and digestion both on a grain free food. I wouldn't bother with the large breed personally, but that is your call. Sounds like you are doing a great job, especially if he is able to hold it between potty breaks, that is great for a young pup! We are just finally at that point with our 5 month old!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a few quick questions about my new husky pup   a few quick questions about my new husky pup Empty

Back to top Go down

a few quick questions about my new husky pup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1