It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

Female Join date : 2013-04-02

Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? Empty
PostSubject: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi all,

My name is Hailey and I'm a new member on here. I've come to find your forum due to a serious issue I have been having with my male husky Baron over the past couple days.

There is a chihuahua mix here that he's grown up with who's about 2 years of age, and it belongs to my in-laws. The dog recently went in to heat and we caught Baron outside with her attempting to mount and copulate with her (thank goodness it is not physically possible given her size). We jumped in to action and stopped it and brought her inside. Though the problem we have had over the past two days is that HE WILL NOT LISTEN. It's like he has gone in to a frenzy and mating with her is all he can think about. We've been taking him on exhaustive walks and runs and tried to keep him busy, but without fail every time we bring him inside he's whining and looking for her. Having to keep them on different schedules for being outside and hearing her yodeling back to him when he howls for her is really taking its toll.

Luckily, I'm in the middle of finding the little dog a new home, so she should be gone in the next 3 days. My in-laws were VERY irresponsible in owning her, as she's not been spayed and she's had the run of peeing and pooing wherever she likes inside. They aren't the kind of people to understand dominance over a dog or proper training, and expecting us to take care of her as well as Baron (in addition to paying for everything for both of them) is not working for us.

I guess my questions are summed up as follows:

1. Will this frenzy behavior stop once the little dog is gone, or has come out of heat?
2. Is there anything I can do to help him now, so he wants to eat and can stop pacing about whining inside and out?

Thank you for any input you might have; I haven't found anything similar online searching all the different engines.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 pm

I apologize for being so blunt, but is there some reason why he's not neutered? That is the only way to really stop that behavior, and honestly even with the smaller dog gone he will do that any time he comes anywhere near a female in heat.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 pm

He actually has an appointment for this coming Monday. It's been difficult getting an appointment with the low cost spay/neuter facility in town. If we were to have gone through our very local vet outlets up here it would have cost at least 200$, just for the procedure.

I was also advised to put off neutering him until he was at least 6 months of age from a vet technician friend of mine.

Though really, I'm hoping to find something to help him now, as I cannot bring him in until Monday.
I'm a little concerned he's bonded with the little dog.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 11:02 pm

This frenzy as you describe it is exactly what it is and known as in the dog world. Male dogs will become obsessive, even sometimes after they are fixed, if they are near a female dog in heat. The scent will literally drive them mad and like you've experienced, they can stop eating, drinking, and become destructive just to get near the female in heat.

Kudos to you for having him scheduled for a neuter ASAP, but there really is very little you can do for him other than keeping them separated, and preferably by a crate, while she is in heat. Responsible kennels will do the same and have separate housing and accommodations for their males and females so that there are no accidental matings.

I know it's frustrating, but there is not much more you can do and you'll have to keep up the separation until the little one is gone or is out of heat for a few days.

Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Thank you so much for your response, it's very reassuring to know that I am not the only one who has experienced this. I really could not find anything searching online.

I've just been so worried over his lack of appetite; we were worried he had eaten another tube sock (which was another ordeal in and of itself Rolling Eyes ). We will continue to keep them separated, she's in his old crate and he's inside/outside til he comes in for bed at night. Luckily I think I found a home for the little one to go to tomorrow, so we should have a few days of peace in between now and Monday.

Thank you again. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Tube sock, huh? I bet that was a fun one, and I'd definitely be paranoid about that happening again. That's a common theme on here, we've had a few get blockages from eating stuff. Hell, not too long ago one of our older member's dog ate a tampon and had to have surgery.

Best of luck, and I hope he does calm down and give you a couple days of peace before the big snip Smile He's gorgeous, by the way!

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Haha, yeah, that was definitely an eye opener. I have never heard him cry so loud before in my life, and when his dad walked over to try to help him coax the thing out (which was roughly 8 inches long by the time he was done), he nipped at his arm. We decided then that he was not to receive any more unsupervised visitation with Uncle Denver and his tube socks again. Razz I feel incredibly lucky in that it didn't turn in to a serious surgery-requiring issue.

And yes, neutering most definitely has been big on my list over the last week. It was like night and day with him. He marked the couch in the living room and then tried marking me at the lake. Needless to say, he knows mom is dominant. Just had to remind him. Rolling Eyes

Thank you very much, he's a big one, think he's actually bigger than average for his age. Reminds me of a horse. His parents were just beautiful too, and his dad was GIGANTIC. I love your Ghost's name, totally reminds me of Jon Snow's direwolf. (Please pardon my obsession with Game of Thrones)
Is he your only pup? Smile
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Ghost was named for Jon Snow's Direwolf. No excuse necessary, I'm the biggest nerd in the world. I'm just all pissed off right now, I saw yesterday that George RR Martin is on an "indefinite break" from writing Winds of Winter Suspect I read Game of Thrones years ago, and decided then when I got my Husky it'd be named Ghost, and I'd always planned on getting a male. Plans changed, and instead of a white male I have a black and white female. I almost went with Nymeria for her, but I really wanted to stick with Ghost. We've also got a butthead of a Cocker Spaniel and a foster Pittie mix, as well as 2 cats. Howabout you?

Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 11:40 pm

That is AWESOME. I can't contain my excitement with having found another GOT nerd. I am about halfway through the first novel, because unfortunately I found out about the books after watching the first 2 seasons on HBO-Go. I think I stayed up a good 20 hours one day just watching as much as I could.
We found Baron through Craigslist; the people had just had puppies and we visited him every single weekend until we adopted him. The name for us was random. When we get another (because we DO want him to have a spayed/neutered play pal) we are hoping to find a red and name her Nymeria. I think it's a lovely name, though I'm sure I'll get crap for it due to the name being too difficult for some to pronounce.

The only other pet here that I really take ownership of is my cat Cheezeburger. Smile Her son (she had 1 litter before I spayed her) Buttons also resides here. Like I mentioned, there was that little dog, but her training through her rightful owners (my fiance's family) has been beyond lax, and she's ruined the carpets throughout the entire household. I tried training her myself, but it was inconsistent with the rest of them and failed miserably.

Oh, we also have 2 hens. Buff Orpingtons. Almost old enough for their outside enclosure.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:23 am

Another GOT fan here-- my husband has read the books. I normally love reading, but people have told me it's important to take notes with these books.. I don't like reading for pleasure and taking notes. So the series will do just fine Razz

Also OT: Here's another thread about how unaltered dogs can act: Another reminder of the dangers of unaltered pets

Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:25 am

We've actually got several GOT nerds on here. My older brother got me into it several years ago by giving me Game of Thrones for Christmas. I plowed through the series, and then was really mad that Dance With Dragons didn't come out like it was supposed to because I would have had it when I deployed to the Middle East. Another 3 years later...

And Tori, I never took notes. If you read them all back to back you'll be fine.

You'll have to go post more pictures of your pack, I'd like to see the kitties Smile Sucks about the inconsistent training with the little dog, that's so frustrating to have people who aren't really on board with a dog. Best of luck on that one.

Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:31 am

The book can be a bit dry at times. I try to pace myself because I usually read too fast and then don't have enough cash to get the next book and end up really sad and out of things to read. Razz

I actually just jumped in to that thread! I was reading a little through it, and I feel bad for kennel owners now. I can only imagine the stress of having that many dogs all acting crazy like that. Shocked

Yeah Ghost, it's very unfortunate. Chis, chi mixes and pits/pit mixes are probably the most consistently given up pets here where I'm at. I know little dogs can be trained better, but there are so many people who get them who just do not have the disciplinary skills or the want to learn those skills to get anywhere with their pups. And where exactly could I post those pictures? I don't want to step on any toes and post in the wrong forum, or in the wrong section! My fiance is laughing at me because this is my first forum and he's so experienced with his BMW forum. tongue

Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:41 am

I just started watching GOT, was wondering if i should give the books a try. Razz

I've only had to deal with female dogs in heat, never had a in-tact male and a female in heat before. Bet it would be crazy and frustrating!
Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:43 am

The books are definitely worth a read Abby, just get the paperback! I initially thought the hardback was the only available and because the show is so popular, they wanted 45$ for it. Shocked

We actually want to get a female for our next pup, do you have any input for me with that? Like, are male and female huskies incredibly different in behavior? I've only ever had experience with males.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:48 am

I will definitely get the paperback then! Smile

I've only had females and man are they a handful. The drama in this house is unbelievable! I want to rip my hair out almost everyday! A male and a female would get along great, i believe. My girls get all cute and adorable when they play with male huskies, lol.
Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:50 am

Thank you, that's good to know. Smile
I really hope to find a red female this time.

If my fiance wasn't with me, he'd be able to get the girls like nobody's business. Baron is a definite lady killer. We've had friends ask to borrow him.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:57 am

Haha, my girls are more of a repellent then a magnate, lol. I've never had people ask if they could borrow them, I've asked people to take them though. Razz
Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 1:29 am

Hahaha!

Just for everyone's FYI, I just posted a thread featuring my lovely pack. There are some truly great pictures of Baron in there from when he was still under 20lbs. Razz
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 am

As far as it goes, once the little dog is gone the main issue will be gone- I'd say goes out of heat but that can last a month, longer if the bitch is messy and isn't bathed after heat cycles.

Even better that you are getting him neutered, the drive will cease at that point as well. Especially if he hasn't been used as a stud. If he has, depending on how much will depend on how much of a result you get with the curbing the drive or not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:03 pm

My sons and husband are very into GOT, hence how Balon got his name..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 3:21 am

Haha my boyfriend and I have become GOT crazy. Him a bit more than me because he's finished reading the books and probably has read everything/watched everything on the internet possible by now. But I would be beyond going stir crazy at this point if I had started reading GOT when they were first published. I can hardly wait a year for a new book in a series to come out, let alone it taking 5-6 years. Yikes..

I've only had male huskies, but any experience I've had with a female husky, they've been a bit high maintenance . My sister had two females, they were definitely more go and vocal at all times. My boys get the zoomys but they're definitely willing to lay on the couch all day on a rainy day or when I'm not feeling good.

When we go to Happy hour in the cooler months we bring Darwin along with us, our room mate borrows him and goes and talks to girls, since they just wanna love over Darwin's handsomeness.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 9:29 am

Another GoT fan here - couldn't depend on which one of the Stark wolves to name our husky, so we just went with Stark (seems fitting) Smile

I'm about half-way through the second book - it's interesting to see how they handle Bran's journey (it's so much more detailed in the book). Just need to stop myself from looking up potential spoilers!!
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 10:09 am

Another GoT fan here...it was actually this forum that turned me on to the series in the first place. I read the books first (I'm a big fan of reading the books then watching whatever relates to them, like I read all the True Blood books recently as well) and am now catching up on the tv series. We named Karli before I started on these, otherwise I would've named her Nymeria, calling her Nym for short.

Girls can be more high maintenance, but I've noticed a lot of girl/boy pairings on here and it seems to work well.
Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 11:46 pm

Update: We took the small dog to her new home today. Really nice family in the valley; the girl's eyes just lit up when I handed her over.
When we got home, I opened all of the doors and let Baron do a very thorough walk throughout the house, and he visited all of the rooms. After about 10 minutes he ate his first full bowl of food in THREE DAYS. He's had a few bites here and there in the 3 day period, but he hasn't actually eaten anything of substance. I think he's lost just under 10 lbs. in the whole week and a half period that the little one was in heat.
I am overjoyed to have him *mostly* back to his chipper self. He actually started chewing on his pig skin chewie too, and we had a super great howl session not too long ago. I can finally stop pulling out all my hair. At least until we take him in Monday morning to be neutered. Then I can start worrying all over again. Rolling Eyes
As for adding a new family member to our pack, it will probably be a bit longer til my mother in law is comfortable with it. I'm hoping I can convince her soon enough. Wink

In other news, Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? 888911 by GoT, right?! Very Happy
I am so happy to see there are so many other nerds here. Have any of you checked out merchandise on Etsy?! Oh my goodness, I just want to buy it all.
Back to top Go down
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 10:27 am

I'm glad to here that Baron is coming back to normal!! i can't even imagine what that was like. When we got Darwin neutered it was because our neighbors had a female pit that he used to always play with and our yards were connected, she wasn't fixed and they had no clue when she would come into heat. We were already planning on neutering Darwin so that got us just to get the move on for neutering done.

His surgery went really well too. We did it at a low cost clinic here in town so I think it was just at 100 or a little bit below on the cost. He wore his cone of shame for a day or two, but he was pretty pathetic with it on so we just took it off of him. He was really good not to bite at the stitches. Though the funniest thing was him trying to go play with the neighbors dog with his cone on, her running up because she could smell him but the moment she saw him with his contraption on his head, she turned around and hauled but away!!

But I haven't even thought to look on Etsy for stuff! I'm betting there is adorable stuff! Now that my stressful week of school is over, hopefully I'll get some time to read some more of the fourth book!! It's getting so good!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?   Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input? Empty

Back to top Go down

Male Husky in Breeding Frenzy! Any Input?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next