It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-30

Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? Empty
PostSubject: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Growing up I always wanted a Husky. Even after I learned all their ridiculous tendancies and the difficulties owning one. There was a close second one though, the Beauceron. They are such big majestic creatures and look amazing. They have a rep of being dog aggressive if not excessively socialized and a guard dog. I was curious if anyone has any experience with this breed?

Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? Beauce10

Last edited by vegeta819 on Thu May 23, 2013 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:25 pm

I've never heard of it before now kinda looks like a doberman/gsd mix
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:34 pm

amora wrote:
I've never heard of it before now kinda looks like a doberman/gsd mix

I was actually thinking the exact same thing.
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? EmptyWed May 22, 2013 11:05 pm

Did you know the breed standard requires double dew claws on the hind legs
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/88/269273110_c60fea7b23.jpg
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? EmptyThu May 23, 2013 9:51 am

You might get better replies if you mention the breed in the title. Never heard of them

Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? EmptyThu May 23, 2013 11:30 am

One of my friends in elementary school had one. I remember thinking it was absolutely massive. He was so, so calm and really gentle with her little brother. He didn't like new people much at first, but warmed up to you the longer you were there.

Not much experience, but I remember thinking he was really cool.
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? EmptyThu May 23, 2013 3:38 pm

This is what one of my dog friends has to say about the Beas:

' The beaucerons I have seen really poor temperaments. These are working line dogs, imported from France with impressive working pedigrees (Ring 3 dogs, etc), with no drive. At the very least they are slow to mature. I have met one nice one, she is a French Ring II dog, which is an impressive feat for a non-malinois, however of the two of the poor-temperament dogs that I know, one is her son, one is a nephew or cousin or something, so unfortunately she (and the dogs behind her) are not producing herself so there is inconsistency in temperament and drive in the breed to be aware of. '

she is very involved in dog training and involved with Mals and i respect her knowledge when it comes to breeds with guarding/drive tendencies.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? EmptyThu May 23, 2013 3:40 pm

I know someone who is obsessed with this breed and she has wanted one for a long time. She has finally found a breeder and is waiting for a litter. It will be interesting to see what the dog is like.

Last edited by wpskier222 on Thu May 23, 2013 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? EmptyThu May 23, 2013 3:43 pm

The double dew claw thing still creeps me out. I know in cats extra toes is a sign of inbreeding I wonder if it applies here?
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? EmptyThu May 23, 2013 3:52 pm

People I've talked to so far have said it's nurture over nature with the temperament. It seems to be geared more towards the early days, they need socialization. And not just a little, a lot, they need ot be exposed to tons of positive happy people and places fairly young. Also they aren't a forgiving breed. You get X number of strikes before you're out, so they need a strong leader. I agree with the dew claw thing being a little weird, but if it's a requirement in order to be recognized I imagine it can't come from poor breeding (unless it did back in the day and someone liked it so there was an inbreeding frenzy). I know they're a rarer breed in the US (hence some of you have never heard of them), just didn't know if anybody had come across any during shows.

Side note: Funny thing you guys mentioned the Doberman/German Shepherd appearance, I thought the same thing. Apparently the Beauceron was one of the dogs mixed in to create both of those breeds.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? EmptyFri May 24, 2013 10:33 am

I've been reading and researching a little bit, and talked to the trainer I know that is really into them, and my impression is that they are sort of similar to huskies, in that, they really require a certain kind of person. We always say that the Siberian isn't for everybody, and encourage people to do their research, and it sounds like the Beauceron is the same. One thing that is fascinating to me is that they mature more slowly than other dogs. It sounds like they aren't really physically and mentally mature until they are 3 years old, and that you shouldn't expect a two year old to act like an adult dog.

Here is a link to a temperament test they do in the French shows, that is very interesting. All of them must pass this test before they are allowed in the conformation ring.
http://www.beauce.org/docs/The%20Journ%C3%A9e%20Temperament%20Test.pdf

There is a lot of information here: http://www.beauce.org/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?   Experience with this breed (Beauceron)? Empty

Back to top Go down

Experience with this breed (Beauceron)?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1