It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 am

capellalayla wrote:
There's a meme out there that says women spend a third of our lives trying to figure out where mysterious bruises come from. I'm sure it's not factually correct, but funny nonetheless!

lol! lol! lol! There's a big round one on my butt...Wayne and I are pondering "the end of the WalkyDog?" "The point of the seat?" "No, no - it must be the brake handle!"
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 1:41 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 11:39 am

We went bikejoring with our Boston Snow Dogs folks yesterday at a really awesome trail up in Auburn, New Hampshire. Nice and wide, well-groomed trails that are pretty easy to follow. Apparently a lot of the pros use them for training, as was evidenced that morning, when we let a pro team of Alaskans head out before us. Luckily we didn't run into them again on the trails, and thankfully I didn't take a spill this time! Layla and I ran about 5.5 miles together, and by the end she was pretty beat.

Pics aren't from me but are courtesy of one of our members.

At the end of our run, me and a cut-off Layla
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 11224810

Layla greeting Shelby, with Sebastian and his mom in the background
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 11231110

Group photo! Of course, you can hardly see Layla, who's found something on the ground to sniff  Rolling Eyes
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 12029610

Another airborne shot of Layla pre-run. Shelby says, "What's going on here?"
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 12039010
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 12:24 pm

Look like a lot of fun, Liz bounce Layla is so pretty - I love her white shawl.

How long does it take for you to do 5.5 miles with Layla? I'm trying to figure out how fast is safe for a husky to run continuously.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 12:55 am

Those are great pics Liz!! Layla is sooooo happy when she is out running. I adore her jumping pic. You both look happy and great!
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 3:02 pm

very cute picture of Layla in the air. very beautiful pictures, beautiful trees and nice wide trail. look like you guys had a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 3:28 pm

amymeme wrote:
Look like a lot of fun, Liz bounce   Layla is so pretty - I love her white shawl.

How long does it take for you to do 5.5 miles with Layla?   I'm trying to figure out how fast is safe for a husky to run continuously.

It was fun! The trail was one of the best we've been on yet, and it's only about 40 minutes from home.

We weren't running 5.5 miles continuously. The first 3 miles or so took probably about 40-45 minutes or so. Then we went around partway, which took about another 20-25 minutes. So, all in all I'd say 5-6 miles is about an hour-long trip if taken continuously. Layla was really tired at the end, though, even with plenty of breaks for rest and water!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 12:59 pm

amymeme wrote:
How long does it take for you to do 5.5 miles with Layla?   I'm trying to figure out how fast is safe for a husky to run continuously.

So glad to see other bikejorers/dog scooterers (is that a word? It is now!) on here. Our daily loop is 5.4 miles, and we do it 5-6 days a week. On a good day, it takes us 45 minutes. On a slower-paced day, it takes about an hour. It all depends on the weather and wind resistance. The dogs run faster in cooler weather, plus the cooler air drops the animal/critter scents down to the ground, so the dogs pull harder and run faster when they pick up on various jackrabbit and coyote smells. Our record so far is 14 miles. We run non-stop, and have trained and built up to that distance. I'm sure they could go a lot farther, but we are limited here on base and don't want to be around moving cars or people and dogs walking as we pass.

I give my dogs water once we are done, so there is no risk of bloat or other medical problems due to drinking during an extensive and strenuous exercise. I let them pull and set the pace, and I just motivate them with commands and songs. YES! I sing to my dogs as they OBEY and RUN and PULL (in that exact order of importance). Certain tunes inspire them to run faster, and they are all songs I made up, usually singing about the dogs running in front of me (see lyrics below). Ha! I'm sure if there are people out in the desert listening to us, they probably think I'm nuts. I know voices travel, and I sing loudly so all the dogs can hear me. Must look/sound pretty funny, not only because I'm a random guy being dragged by 4 big dogs, but that I'm singing my heart out as we pass.

"BIG KING KAZE, BIGGEST KING AROUND.
BIG KING KAZE, BIGGEST KING IN TOWN!"

"WHAT DO YOU SMELL? WHAT DO YOU SEE?
WHAT DO YOU HEAR? WHAT COULD IT BE?
OHHHHH, LUDICROUS SPEED AWAY.
PUPPY POWER IS ON DISPLAY!
RABBITS AND COYOTES BEST STAY AWAY!"

Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Singing is a great idea! Not only would I think it's a great motivator for the dogs, but it could also scare away woodland critters that could distract the dogs and possibly even let nearby hunters know you're around. In New Hampshire, where a lot of mushers train and run, there's a big hunting culture, so we dog people have to be extra careful during hunting season.

We did some training yesterday, another 5.5 miles at the same trail as last week (and the same trail as the race we entered next weekend). Pics to come! Now that I'm a member of the New England Sled Dog Club, which holds a lot of the local races throughout the season, we'll probably enter more races this year!

I've also got to figure out a good way to take photos while we're actually running. I don't have a Go Pro or anything, just my handy iPhone 6, but as you can imagine without some kind of contraption to hold it steady on the bike, it's really hard to take good photos while bikejoring!
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 4:41 pm

Pics from yesterday's 5.5-mile training session. I took some, and another Boston Snow Dogs member took others.

We tried to get another jumpy Layla pic, but this time it didn't work so well ... Rolling Eyes
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 12190010

Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 11220110

Layla posing with her pal Sebastian
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 12193310

Mid-shake during a water break
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 12138410

Pretty Layla
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 12186310

"When are we going to get back on the trail, already?!"
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 90594210

Reflecting on life with Sebastian
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 11700910

Hanging out with Miakoda
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 90558710
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 7:45 pm

So much fun Liz! Layla is still a most pretty girl I love you
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 7:47 pm

She always looks like shes having so much fun!
I love her in her purple xback very fitting Smile
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks, ladies! Layla's a happy girl. I can really sense her gratitude after a good run. I can tell by the look in her eyes that she's thankful that she's able to get out and run and that we can share this pastime together. I love you

Yes, purple is definitely her color! Her Urban Trail harness from Alpine Outfitters is also purple. We use that for hiking and walks.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 9:32 pm

capellalayla wrote:
Singing is a great idea! Not only would I think it's a great motivator for the dogs, but it could also scare away woodland critters that could distract the dogs and possibly even let nearby hunters know you're around. In New Hampshire, where a lot of mushers train and run, there's a big hunting culture, so we dog people have to be extra careful during hunting season.

And that's another reason why I sing whenever the dogs sense that critters or coyote packs are nearby: to scare them away so we don't have any unwanted confrontations. The coyotes in Oregon would trot across our path 20 feet in front of us and then just stop. Either they were the bravest little dogs on the planet, or they were so shocked to see their brethren dragging a human behind them like a charioteer and his workhorses. Ha!

In Idaho, only once, I've had two packs (or one pack split in half) run along beside us, some on the right of us and the rest on the left. The dogs never sensed them, as the coyotes were sprinting behind some big boulders, but I was higher up on my bike and could see them all. It was one of the most wonderful experiences I'll probably ever have in my life. It was like the coyotes were playing a fun game of chase out of curiosity. We don't have to worry about hunters on base, as hunting is not allowed, but if we were off base, I would feel the same as you!
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 9:41 pm

Wow, that story about the pack(s) gave me chills. That's amazing! We have coyotes here, but ours are generally loners, and I wouldn't want to run into one on a trail. I'm sure Layla would want to play, haha.

That's great that there are good trails and opportunities to run the dogs on base -- and that you don't have to worry about hunters, either!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Liz, Layla is a born racer. I love her pics of her jumping and ready to go. I think this is a great way for you and her to bond, and do something you both love to do. She is a natural at racing!! Want more pics, haha. Good luck to you both next week.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 1:16 am

Layla is gorgeous and it is so great to see her doing something she loves! I'm so glad you guys found something fun to do and bond over. I can't wait to see pics from the race!

counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 5:50 pm

capellalayla wrote:
Wow, that story about the pack(s) gave me chills. That's amazing! We have coyotes here, but ours are generally loners, and I wouldn't want to run into one on a trail. I'm sure Layla would want to play, haha.

That's great that there are good trails and opportunities to run the dogs on base -- and that you don't have to worry about hunters, either!

Yeah, it was a beautiful experience. I didn't feel threatened by their presence at all, especially while surrounded by maybe 20 at once. We see the loners too, who I think are either scouts hunting for food, or the juveniles who are outside of their pack's boundaries. Paw Paw is the one I have to watch, as he would probably try to take as many of them with him as he could. He has more prey drive than any dog I've ever known.

No hunters allowed to shoot on base, though I've heard some joking about killing coyotes for fun and that they'd just use bows/arrows so there are no gunshots to hear. Sad that they love to kill so much that they're willing to break laws or stoop to such a level just for that thrill or to get a rush.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 05, 2016 8:52 pm

While I'm here, I may as well update with some photos. And now that I look at it, it seems as if I haven't done so in more than a year. Shocked

We didn't get to do much last winter because we had no snow in New England, and when we did the weather was horrible. And summer this year was so hot that Layla enjoyed her walk in the early morning and lazed around the house most of the day while I took baby Tabitha around on outings. But this fall we're back into the swing of things and have been on a few bikejoring trips. We have a "poker run" tomorrow with Boston Snow Dogs. There are stops set up along the trail with a bunch of cards. You pick a card at each stop, and the people with the best hands at the end get prizes. It's an annual event, but it's the first time Layla and I will be running it.

Some pics from the past couple months:

Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 14591610

Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 14650410

Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 Img_3913
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 1:46 am

Layla has matured so beautifully. And her enthusiasm for biking is wonderful.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 7:49 pm

Love her happy face in the second pic!

I totally understand what you mean about not updating. I hadn't done it in almost a year too.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 2:45 am

Pics are so pretty with the beginnings of Fall color in the backgrounds. She looks so happy to be out on the trails
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 10:22 pm

A couple more from the past couple weeks:

Relaxing in her hole in the back yard
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 Img_4016

With her friend Ariel during a break at the poker run last weekend
Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 Img_4017
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 11:20 pm

Aww. Seems like life has gotten the best of quite a few of us.

She really has grown up beautifully. Hope to see some photos of your adventures this fall!

RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 5:37 pm

beautiful pics, she looks so happy just running the trails with you. love that second pic, she has a very cute face.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**   Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16** - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Layla's scrapbook **updated 11/7/16**

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8