It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is snow nose real?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Is snow nose real? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Plastics (supposedly) can release things over time. (Its why people say to not give water in plastic bowls-water would wear away the coating).

Wasn't I the one that told you about the snoebear connection? Lol

On some dogs it's not bad...just really not something I like lol. I don't find the loss of pigment very appealing in any dog. Just like Iddon't find fleshy colored noses appealing. Lol. Its why I am thankful that mechta has very dark pigment for a red.

Is snow nose real? - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Ha ha! I don't think so but maybe. Smile I think, I was looking at Link's pedigree one day, but could be wrong. Lol. Smile

If that's true about the bowls though, why doesn't it happen in all breeds? Or at least somewhat closely related breeds.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Just found this, sounds like the bowl thing and the snow nose are different.

Plastic Dish Nasal Dermatitis
This is a localized form of depigmentation that affects the nose and lips. It is caused by eating out of plastic and rubber dishes that contain the chemical p-benzylhydroquinone. This chemical is absorbed through the skin and inhibits the synthesis of melanin, the substance that produces dark pigment in the skin. The involved skin may also become irritated and inflamed.

Snow noseisa separate but common condition in which dark pigment on the nose fades during the winter months and darkens again in spring and summer. Complete depigmentation does not occur. Snow nose is seen in Siberian Huskies, Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Bernese Mountain Dogs, and other breeds.

Source: http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/pigmentation-problems-nose-dogs
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 1:23 pm

The genetics site said the depigmentation in some cases has stayed as the animal ages.

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Niraya wrote:
Wasn't I the one that told you about the snoebear connection? Lol
I think you did actually. Sorry, sometimes I get all excited because I've learned like 3 things. Wink Mostly from you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Like I said I can't vouch for the validity of the plastic bowl claims.  Daytona ate and drank from plastic bowls for the eentirety of the 11.5 years she lived.  Bella/Mechta uses the same bowls Daytona had and I also have a second set of plastic bowls. Both are very dark pigmented still and Daytona never had any loss of pigment.  But that is just one example with only three dogs.

I personally feel it is a mix of environmental and genetics (think HD) as opposed to being environmental vs genetics.

Also, for what it is worth, Debbie's dogs are all extremely dark/heavily pigmented and I believe she hasn't experienced any snow nose or loss of pigmentation in her agoutis or KB dogs (I don't remember if anything was said about the monochrome blacks or not).  That isn't to say it can't happen just not something she has seen in her kennel.

Last edited by Niraya on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 2:06 pm

Good point on the mix of environment and genetics. Could be predisposed to the chemical reaction, which is then triggered by an environmental factor. Genetics is very fascinating. Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Niraya wrote:

I personally feel it is a mix of environmental and genetics (think HD) as opposed to being environmental vs genetics.
This is what I was thinking too. Genetics is so fascinating, but I always get stuck on the issue of causation because it won't ever be perfect. So where do we draw the lines of causation? The issue of "pre-disposition" even further complicates the whole story of causation.

I've had the exact same conversation in so many different circles about sexuality over the years, which gets very tricky.....won't go there here, but just illustrating that this basic issue has occupied my mind before and that this snow nose discussion has been enjoyable Smile

So wait.....do one of you or both of you know Link's uncle??
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Who is his uncle?

If we are talking about snoebear siberians I know the breeder- Tim. He livees on the other side of PA and is a professional handler so I see him at shows quite often.

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 5:14 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Btw, Link's sire is a snobear dog. Kylie's brother. Smile
Ok.  Sorry, Link's aunt perhaps.  

That's cool you know the breeder.  Link's sire is Lance, Snobear's Dueling in Defiance.

(As an aside Jen, in 4 generations the doppelgangers have not a single dog in common)
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 5:24 pm

I haven't seen lance personaly but I have seen a number of snoebear dogs.  The one Jen referenced, Kylie, belongs to a good friend of ours.

as an aside - that same friend just earned her championship (pending akc approval) on her friest show dog - another snoebear dog - Snoebear's Noir de Blanc.

Last edited by Niraya on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 6:27 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
I repeat, we need an IAHT research grant!  Who is trained in grant writing around here?
*raises hand* I am. I'm in the middle of writing two at the moment, but those will be finished by the end of January. If someone can find a funding source, I would gladly pitch in. I have access to lab space too (for DNA/molecular stuff). Plus, it occurs in many other breeds, so figuring this out would benefit a lot more people/dogs (makes it easier to justify to the funding agency)
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 6:56 pm

When I got Snoopy at seven months his nose was black, but during his first winter he got snow nose right down the middle. Our red doberman also developed snow nose, even though her nose was originally red because of her color, it turned pink on top. Nunya does not have snow nose and also has a red nose. Our GSD-hybrid had a pitch black nose and never developed snow nose during her short life either. My sister's GSR/rott doesn't have snow nose either, and her nose is either really dark brown or black. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some genetic predisposition to it, this is interesting!
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Karli is over a year and hasn't developed snow nose. I thought it happened around that age so I was surprised when it didn't with her. Its cold here but no snow although Karli likes to sit outside during the day.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:11 am

Is this a snow nose? Or a birth mark?

Is snow nose real? - Page 2 52810610

Is snow nose real? - Page 2 Micole11
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:17 am

Hmm, snow nose is usually centered and pretty symmetrical. I've never heard of a birthmark on a dog on the nose but it could be.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:30 am

Amy I don't know what that is other than super cute! I haven't seen it before on a husky but I have seen in on other dogs as puppies and most of them faded or went away as they grew up.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:38 am

I have no idea what it is either! She was 9 months old here and Thank you! She was super cute then... Now, lol Different story hahahaha

But the "Mark" went up into her nose as she grew older. It never disappeared or just went away. If you look at her you don't see it till you get up and close to her and you look up into her nose lol and it is still there.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:39 am

Could you take an up close of her nose? I think it would be really cool to see how it changed.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:41 am

hmmm.... let me see if i can do this, this is going to be hard hahaha she doesn't like taking pictures nor standing still. Challenged excepted!Is snow nose real? - Page 2 1347041234 
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:59 am

Treats are amazing! lol Here is what it looks like now

Right side is the liver color and the left side has that "pink birth mark"

Is snow nose real? - Page 2 20131211
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 1:01 am

Wow it really faded away. Or many it stayed the same size and her nose just grew. Wink  Also congrats on being able to get that challenge done. My dog loves to be super cute until I grab the camera.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 1:04 am

Agree most of the time I get a blur and in the background you see two yellow dots, they are eyes... that is my malamute wondering why she is getting treats and not her lol! 
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 1:33 am

I'd like to toss in a few comparison pictures of Lycus lol

This was earlier this summer, and as you can see, his nose is completely black.

Is snow nose real? - Page 2 R70dW4Q

And this is earlier this week, where you can see pink pigments. Lmao, ignore the unhappy birthday face. That hat did not last haha.

Is snow nose real? - Page 2 OftPrxs
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 1:36 am

Pfft. that birthday pic...wow Smile

So there are clear examples of seasonal and non-seasonal snow-nosery, just for the record.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is snow nose real?   Is snow nose real? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is snow nose real?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next