It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate pad?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Now that Simon is a bit older I have been considering getting a crate pad for him. The thing is I don't want him to destroy it and I also am wondering if it would make it hotter in his kennel.

Thoughts? Suggestions? He isn't super destructive but he loves to pull the stuffing out of toys and he has ripped a hole in a blanket that was next to his kennel and pulled some of the stuffing out so maybe this is a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:28 pm

I got Diz a bed when he was around Simon's age. I had been using an old pillow, and I tried to wash it and it came out all weird, so I went ahead and bought the bed. He's not very destructive either, he did chew on the sheet i was using to cover his crate a few times, but not much more than that. Maybe try something like that, or a towel and see how he does. Diz has never tried to chew his bed.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:34 pm

What kind of crate pad do you use? And the blanket he chewed and got the stuffing out was covering his crate too. I think Simon would be destructive but he has always had nylabones and antlers and they are just more fun to chew.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:38 pm

I have this one:

http://www.petco.com/product/116631/Petco-Brown-and-Tan-Memory-Foam-Rectangular-Pillow-Dog-Bed.aspx?CoreCat=MM_DogSupplies_Beds
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:47 pm

Jeff (Link) uses and likes one called the Primo Pad and said it has lasted well with Link.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 4:17 pm

This is true. It has proven to be indestructible and super easy to clean since we have had it, almost a year now.

They are made of a non-toxic vinyl and they're soft and cool. Very common in the dog show world apparently.

www.primopads.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:25 pm

Jeff, I have been looking forever to find an indestructible one for Nikolai because he has chewed several "indestructible" ones in the past, and he is starting to lose some hair and stuff on his elbows. This one looks great, can't wait to order it!

If I didn't order the exact size of the crate do you think it would be easier to chew on? Like does Link have absolutely no room to chew because it fits so well?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Exactly, it has to be the exact fit.  This pad is not recommended for a stand alone pad/bed, but a crate pad only.  

Also, make sure to order it with the tie down/zip tie tabs on it with their zip ties.  It will come with their own.   They have a crate size/pad size conversion chart on their site.  

Here's their zip tie/lock down tab and tie
Crate pad?  Imag2511
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Oh, and if you have an unusually sized crate they can customize a pad for you as well. You want it to be as flush on all walls as possible.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 9:31 am

Yeah, thats what I thought you would say. Just hoping that I could save some money and get a smaller one since he has a massive crate, its going to be pretty expensive. But if it lasts and keeps him from having to lay on that rough crate ground then it will be worth the money. Wish I had known about this before I spent $20 or more on 3 beds that he has ruined!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 9:46 am

Yeah, no cutting costs.  If the ends are exposed that is just an open invitation to start chewing. But this is exactly what their lock down system aims to prevent...successfully in our case.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 am

Just ordered one. I'm very excited and hopeful that there is no way Nikolai can ruin this, plus this will be better if he does have a seizure in his crate it will be more comfertable. I just couldn't believe shipping was $12.95  affraid 
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 10:57 am

Jeff, finally got my primo pad! I love it, I'm glad I saw this. Nikolai as we speak is currently trying to tear it up and it having no luck as far as I can tell from our little pet cam, but I will be very impressed if it continues to hold up! I think our size was a little off but I was able to make it fit.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 6:11 pm

All of our dog crates have a wool sheepskin rug in them like below in the pic. Any other type of bed or blanket got destroyed in the early days until we tried these. Beowulf, as a pup, had a little fun trying to rip the wool out in places, but it was quickly caught and corrected, and now he loves laying on his rug. Funny, because his fur matches the rug and he is totally camouflaged when asleep curled up in his wulfball. The wool keeps them cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I've also read about how wool is a natural flea and pest repellant, as they can't or choose not to live in it. Not sure how true that is, but if it is, that's just another perk!

Crate pad?  ALFRB__03462.1397517870.1280.1280

I found some pics of Beowulf camouflaging himself outside of his crate, after he no longer needed a crate and the dogs were given an entire bedroom to be theirs, aka The Dog Room:

Crate pad?  037-6

Looking like his normal, rascally puppy self, always so guilty looking:

Crate pad?  0343

Crate pad?  030-10

Crate pad?  028-7

Crate pad?  024-8

Crate pad?  002-14
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crate pad?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate pad?    Crate pad?  Empty

Back to top Go down