It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 9:03 pm

Started with a pack of seeds and some potting soil. Then they sprouted:

Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 20200511

They grew and grew and made a beautiful pot:
Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 20200815

And then the peppers became a beautiful golden yellow

Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 20201015

And I picked them:

Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 20201014

And fermented them:

Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 20201111

And lo, they became Ho Chi Minh Hot Sauce.  Or engine cleaner, depending on your taste buds 😝

Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 20201110
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 10:30 pm

My hash plant just started to flower, seems like hot sauce is as much trouble as pot plants.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 10:48 pm

Emily, I was quite surprised at how easy this was. Now want to try sauerkraut and dill pickles. I sliced the peppers lengthwise (including a yellow sweet bell to tame the results a bit),peeled some garlic cloves, stuffed them in a quart Mason jar, added bring to cover made with 4 curious if water to 4 tsp picking salt, filled a jelly jar with water and covered it, used the jelly jar to hold the peppers below the too of the brine, covered with cheese cloth held on place with elastic band. Five days later, cloudy brine, lots of bubbles when I disturbed the jar. Drained the peppers, saving the brine, dumped the outlets into a blender, added a couple of the brine, some apple cider vinegar, a spoonful of honey, pureed, agreed some optional xanthine gum to keep the pets in suspension. Now it sits in fridge to mellow. Next... Sauerkraut!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 2:47 pm

So that seems pretty easy. Very similar to the horseradish that would make people turn red and purple that i used to do for passover.

But im confused about the fermenting. When we did kimchi we had to add a rot culture and different cultures produce slight differences. Maybe its because when i think of fermenting i think of wine and kimchi.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 4:40 pm

By using the specific salt to water ratio for brine, it inhibits certain bacteria and creates the right environment for lactic acid fermentation. If you really want the whole shebang on it, I will have to ask my older son - he's a food scientist. But I don't guarantee I'll remember it all or get it right!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 4:45 pm

Its all good. I think i may be going down a lost cause road. Trying to find  Dünyanın Uyanışı by Şengül Boybaş in english. And dont ask how to pronounce it because i dont speak Kurdish or turkish.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 5:22 pm

Glad the puller worked well. I usually wiggle and then just pull them by hand by squeezing them between my knees but there will be a hernia in my future if I keep that up. Sounds like engine cleaner to me. I don't do spice. Total wuss about it. I canned my tomatoes yesterday. Still have salsa left to can but didn't have time for that. Just had to get the tomatoes out of the freezer to make room for the beef we got back from the butcher. Going to have to figure out what a Pikes Peak cut is. We have one package of beef labeled Pike's Peak and I've never heard of such a cut in all my years cattle farming and butchering. Not my normal butcher. Probably won't use them again. Didn't cut things how I wanted.

Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 Egwab0VAmy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 Egwam5Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 N37SqqdAmy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 N37Sm5Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 XcwxC0CAmy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 Xcwxm5
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 6:06 pm

Also called "Heel of round roast," the Pike's Peak is cut from low in the round, just above the hock. This roast cooks into a flavorful pot roast using the braising method. This cut originates from the Round section. I found that here https://zbarcattle.com/products/pikes-peak-roast
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 6:18 pm

Hmm...seems they could have just labeled it roast like they did the others.

Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 Egwab0VAmy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 Egwam5Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 N37SqqdAmy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 N37Sm5Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 XcwxC0CAmy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 Xcwxm5
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 6:30 pm

When i go to the butcher and ask for a roast they usually give me a bunch of options. This is making me hungry for non vegetarian food.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 8:44 pm

@TwisterII wrote:
Hmm...seems they could have just labeled it roast like they did the others.
lol! lol!
lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures   Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Amy's Folly - The Garden Adventures

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4