It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Biting/Jumping Up issue.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AdjeYen
Newborn
Newborn
AdjeYen

Biting/Jumping Up issue. Empty
PostSubject: Biting/Jumping Up issue.   Biting/Jumping Up issue. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 11:44 am

Good day, my dear friends! Smile
It's quite of hot today, so I played with my husky outside in the dark around my house/garden. She started to dig holes, lmao Very Happy
Before that, when she saw me, she started to jump around like crazy, and would jump up. I didn't liked that at all, so I just turned my back on her and walked away, u know "ignoring her" then she would run to me and wouldn't jump, but when I go down, like, near to her face and pet her, she would still jump up, and then I would put my finger up and say "No" or "Shh" then of all sudden she calmed herself down, or I would make eye-contact with her and say "No" only once or twice, I dont repeat myself a lot, she would get confused.
Should I (everytime when she sees me and jumps on me) say "No" after she learns that it is not okay to jump, or should I reward her after?

Okay, the other part is the biting, and Im not talking about biting like, agressively, like "mild, loving", today I put her gently on her back and started to touch her paws really gently, she then would just bite my fingers "lovely" is that okay?
I noticed that she really loves when I give her a massage and sing to her: "Luna...luna..." or play to her a few songs of "Nujabes" then she would howl, that was the most amazing experience in my life. Playing a song of Nujabes called "Light on the land" and hearing her howling, really beautiful stuff.

So, what do you people suggest? That jumping and biting part, am I doing this right?

PS: She can already sit on command which is really great then I give her a reward. Smile

Have a nice day, People, peace and love! Smile
Back to top Go down
gertjan.vdk
Newborn
Newborn
gertjan.vdk

Male Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Biting/Jumping Up issue.   Biting/Jumping Up issue. EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 5:46 am

I personally don't allow my dogs to jump up. Ripley does have a tendency to get over-excited when i get home after classes though, so what i usually do is ignore her until she is in a calm-submissive state of mind and then reward her with affection. It seems to be an effective method as she's starting to get out of the habit. most days she calmly waits for me to call her over to greet her.

as for the puppy nipping, they all do it. best is to teach them not to. in time their teeth and jaws get bigger and stronger and their little love nips will start to hurt.

just my 2 cents.

best of luck!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Biting/Jumping Up issue.   Biting/Jumping Up issue. EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Folding your arms and turning away when she jumps is enough. You don't need to say no - in fact the jumping is for attention, and even saying 'no' is a kind of attention.

I agree that it's best to teach her not to bite at all, or it may cause problems later. Mouthing from a full grown dog is just a pain.

She joins in when you sing! That's so sweet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Biting/Jumping Up issue.   Biting/Jumping Up issue. EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Definatly turn away from her and ignore her when she jumps. As poster above says, saying no isn't needed either. You want to initiate the contact, not let her do it.

As far as the biting, it may be lovely puppy nips now, but it won't stay that way. Nip it in the bud now.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Biting/Jumping Up issue.   Biting/Jumping Up issue. EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 8:54 pm

With the jumping I use the 'Be a Tree' Method as advised by Trillion's mum.
I've got small kids and as Freya is mixed with a Bull Mastiff, she is going to be a Biiiiig girl. She already weight more than both my kids at 40lb at 5mo.

When the dog jumps you be a tree, Be a Tree involves standing completelly still, hands down by your sids, or for smaller children I recommend folding them over your chest.
Dont make eye contact, stop all interaction, no speaking, no movment, no nothing. THe dog gets nothing out of jumping nad will get down.
I was hesitant tbh when I first started be a tree. But within the first few times of using it I noticed Freya would get down within seconds.

It is a great tool. Freya doesnt jump at all on people (unless they are people who allow her to jump nad dont follow my directions for Be a Tree at their own will). She doesnt even jump in greeting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Biting/Jumping Up issue.   Biting/Jumping Up issue. EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 8:56 pm

As for the biting. I think as long as they know bite inhibition it's okay, and as long as they know who they can nad cant do it on.
Some woulw say no biting at all. But tbh I like to put my hand in Freya's mouth every few weeks just to see whatr she's going to do with it. Most of the time she spits it out, but others she will have a gentle nibble followed by some nice friendly licks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biting/Jumping Up issue.   Biting/Jumping Up issue. Empty

Back to top Go down

Biting/Jumping Up issue.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1