It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

So how much exercise does a husky really require?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DYaugo
Newborn
Newborn
DYaugo

Male Join date : 2016-12-10

So how much exercise does a husky really require? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So how much exercise does a husky really require?   So how much exercise does a husky really require? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 4:55 pm

When I got Sasha she was 2 months old and someone had abandoned her. As far as walking her when she was this age it was about 1/2 mile every other day and 1 mile every other day when she was between 3-4 months. I gradually increased the distance as she got older. Right now she is about 7 months and we walk 3-4 x per week and average about 45-90 minutes per walk (2-4 miles). Usually it depends on the weather. I live in Southern California so in the summer we would go early in the mornings or late evenings. Now that its cooler she likes the longer walks. I also make sure she gets a break for one day between walks. I feel its important that when they are growing to get the much needed rest they need. Huskies have a lot of energy so on her days off I play fetch with her in the yard and keep her active. She has brown into a beautiful dog and is already around 20" at her shoulders. I'm sure she still has some more growing to do, but maybe not much? I also waited until she was 5 months before I spayed her. The vet said she still had plenty of growth hormones left in her as well.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: So how much exercise does a husky really require?   So how much exercise does a husky really require? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2016 3:42 am

The usual accepted guideline here for continuous walking is 5 minutes per month of age. At 7 months that translates to no more than 35 minutes in one walk, particularly on hard surfaces. This is to protect growing joints and their growth plates.
Back to top Go down
DYaugo
Newborn
Newborn
DYaugo

PostSubject: Re: So how much exercise does a husky really require?   So how much exercise does a husky really require? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Exercise? This is a great question, but I agree that it depends on the owner, the dog and how much time you have during the week to do this. I have a 2 1/2 year female husky named Sasha. I've been on a good exercise routine since I've her as a puppy, but given huskies high level intelligence, I try to be consistent at being inconsistent when exercise is concerned. This means I exercise her 5-6x a week, but I mix the times and the days. This keeps them from knowing the routine and becoming too demanding. I always believe that you should have a day or two off to relax from the walks and use this time for trips to the pet store to go shopping or just hanging out in the yard playing fetch or relaxing. Generally speaking when I walk Sasha its a minimum of one hour regardless! These walks are in the morning before I go to work and are usually 2-3 miles, but on the weekend we might go to the park(s) and walk 1.5-2 hours or around 5 miles. Although most of the walks are more like prowls, because she always wants to chase either squirrels, lizards and rabbits. I always walk her with a 50 foot lead to allow her some freedom to walk out in front of me and sniff while I maintain my pace. This makes the walk enjoyable for her as well as me. If she fails behind and I get 50 feet in front of her she runs and passes me, so it works out well. There's one thing I would like to add. As puppies you really shouldn't walk them that far. I would say no more than maybe 20-30 minutes. Puppies need to develop their bones and also require plenty of sleep, but at about 6 months they are usually ready for the 30-40 minute walks and at a year they are good for the longer walks. Every dog is different so you need to pay attention to their behavior and how they react. Another thing I do is carry my own water during the longer walks and especially if the weather is slightly warmer. I carry a canteen that I wear around my neck. Hope this helps?
Back to top Go down
RAHUSKY
Puppy
Puppy
RAHUSKY

PostSubject: Re: So how much exercise does a husky really require?   So how much exercise does a husky really require? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 12:22 pm

My two are fully grown, We walk a little over a mile in the morning, a little under a mile at lunch and 2-3 miles late afternoon - 7 days a week. 3-4 days a week we go out for a mile or so around 9-10. Once a week I take them to run 'out behind ye old cement plant' - that is usually 5+ miles.
Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://rahusky.blogspot.com/
DYaugo
Newborn
Newborn
DYaugo

PostSubject: Re: So how much exercise does a husky really require?   So how much exercise does a husky really require? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 9:27 pm

RAHUSKY wrote:
My two are fully grown, We walk a little over a mile in the morning, a little under a mile at lunch and 2-3 miles late afternoon - 7 days a week. 3-4 days a week we go out for a mile or so around 9-10. Once a week I take them to run 'out behind ye old cement plant' - that is usually 5+ miles.
Good luck.

Wish I had that kind of time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So how much exercise does a husky really require?   So how much exercise does a husky really require? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So how much exercise does a husky really require?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2