It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  Empty
PostSubject: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:42 am

Hello Ladies and gentleman,

I'm in the process of getting a Husky as I type this. It's been long process, because my girlfriend and I wanted one,but we weren't really sure on how to go about getting it and we knew very little about it at that time. After countless hours,days,weeks,months, and years, yes years. We both were in college when we decided we wanted a husky.

Enough of the boring story, Why I'm really here is because My girlfriend and I are not sure of which gender we should pick. I know it's depend on the puppy it self, but if you can share lights on which one will be more (even it's it not much) to train?

We will put the time with the training if you was just wondering.

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:56 am

Training either gender will be the same in my opinion. I usually tell people that the puppy will choose you lol. I have never seen a huge difference in behavior when it comes to gender. This is a very headstrong breed, and yes It does depend on the personality of the pup. It all comes down to preference I guess.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 2:33 am

I went with a female because they are smaller, usually more submissive and after a male dog who's still pees on all my crap marking his territory, I will never get a male again.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 2:49 am

I went for a female, simply because I feel that females are more mothering. I've got young children, so I felt more confortable with them, being around a female rather than male.

Also I agree with Brady. I didnt want her marking all over all my 'crap' .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:04 am

I heard if you have the male neutered, they will not mark territory
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:04 am

Kale doesn't mark. I've never had a male dog thats marked. Both my females have been bigger markers than my males lol it all has to do with the personality of the dog. Kale doesn't even lift his leg when he pees lol
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:16 am

Ya my min pin was always neutered. Still pees on stuff 10 years later. I've even ever known a female to mark and it's less likely for a female to.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:21 am

All of my boys lift, but would never dare to do so in the house. It's a housebreaking issue.

My females are more intense, my boys are more layed back. Training wise they're the same really.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:22 am

My mum's female maltese marks she even cocks her leg lol.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:17 am

All my dogs are fixed yet I've never had a problem with my male marking. However one of my females is a huge marker and we had a real tough time breaking her of that habit.

Training is the same.

I personally prefer males as they have a tendency to be a bit more 'clingy' than females who are often more independent. Of course there are exceptions to that, I have a clingy male and female, and one totally independent female. Although even my more clingy female is still more independent than my male. I still prefer males though, they're more likely to cling to my side and I like it when my dogs prefer to spend time with me versus hanging out on their own...that's just me though.

Last edited by Huskyluv on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:19 am

I prefer males too but in the end you should decide on the dogs charakter not if male or female
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:26 am

Really just depends on the dog. I think you'll be happy either way. Are you looking to get a puppy or adopt? If you're looking for a puppy, be sure to read https://www.itsahuskything.com/t1042-how-to-find-a-reputable-breeder

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 am

A reputable breeder is going to help you find the puppy that is right for you, not the gender. Once they are born reputable breeders usually try to match the character of each pup to the right family on their list.

I don't see a difference in training because of gender and I have one of each. My male is much easier to train, much more intelligent. My female is dumb as a box of rocks (love her). BUT my female is amazing around all adults, children, and other animals and Koda needs work. However, all these things have to do with the way they were brought up and not their gender. Nature vs Nuture, you know? Gender has very little to do with it.

And for what it's worth. I'd rather train a male not to mark ANYDAY over having the fear of my female going into heat before I got her spayed. *shudder* Hailey was in heat when we adopted her. Never again.

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 am

I have a neutered male and he still marks quite a bit outside. Never inside, he knows better! He's a sweetheart with adults and has been in contact with children and seems to love them even though he never grew up around any kids (he's 13 yrs old BTW).
I do agree that it depends on the dog and how it's brought up.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:17 am

I have 4 boys all neutered. they all mark, some lift some do the stretch and pee. I've fostered both genders and by far the males are more laid back.

However, I really think socialization level, environment and age have far more to do with it than gender.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:24 am

I have both male and female and there isn't a huge difference in the two. My female has more energy than my male does, but that's just because of her personality (I've seen other males that have way more energy than my female). My girl (Nicky) tends to be a bit more protective than my male (Hayden). Hayden is more into being off by himself, where Nicky is more cuddly. Some males can mark if left unneutered like other's have mentioned, fortunately mine don't do that.

I think you're good going with either gender honestly. If you go through a breeder, see the puppies and if you have a choice let the puppy pick you. You'll fall in love with all the furry faces, but when one favors you over the other's you'll for sure fall in love no matter the gender.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 11:18 am

Huskyluv wrote:

I personally prefer males as they have a tendency to be a bit more 'clingy' than females who are often more independent. Of course there are exceptions to that, I have a clingy male and female, and one totally independent female. Although even my more clingy female is still more independent than my male. I still prefer males though, they're more likely to cling to my side and I like it when my dogs prefer to spend time with me versus hanging out on their own...that's just me though.

I've had one of each but not at the same time. I'm sure the dog's personality plays a part as well, but we have found Val's statement to be very true! Remember the dog Eddie on that old sitcom "Frazier"? If he can't think of anything else to do, our male will just sit a few inches away from you and stare at you just like that dog did. He is very clingy!

He only marks outside. Size is a big difference for us. When we had our girl we were newly married and living in apartments and other small houses. She was only 35-37 lbs which was great for us. Our male is about 1.5 years and around 50 lbs. That actually doesn't matter much since I think huskies are very graceful dogs. Our friend's German Shepherd was always knocking things off of the coffee table. Neither of our dogs have ever done that. A husky can leap over that coffee table without disturbing a thing! And I should add that some females grow quite large, even above the breed standard.

I think both were very easy to train. They are incredibly smart. Our boy is more vocal, but I think that's just personality. Even though he barks for attention (neediness again) he will just watch the UPS come up on the front porch and leave a package without saying a thing.

I don't think you can go wrong! I see very little differences between the sexes and have enjoyed them both! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 11:58 am

The person I'm buying the puppy from is a friend of a friend. She been some what very helpful to us. I did ask her if the puppy parents are AkC registered, she told me the Mother is AKC registered and father is CKC and she's working on his AKC papers. She should have them before the pup are ready to pick up. The puppy will be 8 weeks old when I can pick them up. She promised me that the pup will be vetted and screened by the time they ready.

What do your time of that? Let just say she doesn't get the AKC for the father (not saying she won't) Will it be a problem for the future puppy or Can i sleep at night knowing that both parents are AKC registered ?

I want to share pictures with you on the puppies,but I can't load them for some reason, Can someone give me a step by step on how to load pictures please?
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Kizmat wrote:
The person I'm buying the puppy from is a friend of a friend. She been some what very helpful to us. I did ask her if the puppy parents are AkC registered, she told me the Mother is AKC registered and father is CKC and she's working on his AKC papers. She should have them before the pup are ready to pick up. The puppy will be 8 weeks old when I can pick them up. She promised me that the pup will be vetted and screened by the time they ready.

What do your time of that? Let just say she doesn't get the AKC for the father (not saying she won't) Will it be a problem for the future puppy or Can i sleep at night knowing that both parents are AKC registered ?

I want to share pictures with you on the puppies,but I can't load them for some reason, Can someone give me a step by step on how to load pictures please?

Are you showing? What real difference does the registration make?
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:15 pm

I would like to know does both parents have to be AKC registered? and What impact will it have on the dog if the parent(s) are not Registered with AKC?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 pm

I have never put much stock in AKC or CKC for companion dogs unless you plan on showing. Kale has "papers" but I never pursued them; and he has skeletal problems.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Kizmat wrote:
I would like to know does both parents have to be AKC registered? and What impact will it have on the dog if the parent(s) are not Registered with AKC?

There will be NO IMPACT on the dog. I have 4 rescues, no papers and as far as I can tell they are happy, healthy and have never been persecuted for not having papers.

That's why I asked about showing, it's the only case I can think of where they will be affected.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:30 pm

AKC and CKC don't hold much credit on their own. They are just a registry. However- reputable breeders you can find in breed parent clubs (such as Siberian Husky Club of America) and they do register their dogs with a registry such as AKC or CKC depending. While "papers" alone hold little to no meaning a reputable breeder does register their dogs and litters.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Ok thanks. Since I found out about the husky things been hard on me, I can't sleep long hours no more bounce . I'm always thinking about them and how my life will be with a husky. The lady I'm getting the dog from send me pictures of each dogs (2 female and 1 male) that I want to share with y'all,but for some reason I don't know how to upload them in this form.

My girlfriend want a female and already picked out a name (Luna), I want a male because well one picture melted my heart and I have it as well paper on my phone and laptop lol. They are various shades of red ( like deep copper) and white.

The Ava picture is the female my girlfriend want and she's doesn't seen to want to change her mind So it's pointless to fight her knowing I will lose:'(
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:46 pm

If the puppies are already in the world, a piece of paper really has very little to do with the quality of their life Wink At this point, all that matters is that they find good and loving forever homes with people who are prepared to handle the breed.

There's a sticky in the photo forum on how to upload photos.

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  Empty

Back to top Go down

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next