It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 Male15
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:01 pm

This is the puppy that I want (male)

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 Photo-10
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Very cute pup!

AKC papers really don't matter at all unless you plan on breeding or showing. Both of mine are AKC and I haven't even turned the paperwork in to register either one of them. It would be a silly thing to lose sleep over Wink
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:04 pm

If the sire isn't AKC registered, then you can't register the litter, so you couldn't get AKC paperwork on your puppy. But that only matters if you plan on showing or breeding the puppy. What matters more to me is if the parent's have had their eye's checked by CERF every year and were CLEAR and hip's x-rayed and cleared by OFA as good or excellent. And I like a breeder to have either shown or worked their dogs, i.e. had a reason to breed to better what they have.

Both those puppies are adorable. I'm sure you will fall in love with either one! We have two females. Siku is more independent, but Elara is very clingy to the point of following you where ever you go and making you usually trip over her.

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 4:46 pm

As far as being registered if your not going to show then it doesn't matter. I like to think that if both parents are AKC registered then they are truly "pure". It is my opinion that if they are AKC then hopefully it means the people care enough that they did all the proper health screens as well. But it sure isn't a guarantee.

As far as males vs females, I have had female husky mixes but never a purebred. I chose to get a male because we already had a female lab puppy and my vet said it was always better to mix the sexes where possible. My boy is now almost 5 1/2 months old and was just neutered. He did fantastic btw. He was beginning to play at marking and I wanted that stopped. He hasn't done it since. He is VERY affectionate. He will stay in your lap quite a while if you let him and he loves to kiss us all. He runs to the door whenever one of use comes home. He just loves people!

I have a neighbor who has a female and she is not nearly as affectionate. But I am sure it just depends on the dog. Frankly, if you have no real preference, go see them all, and that see what chooses you! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:51 pm

My first one was a male and he was by far the best dog anyone could ask for. I had every intention of getting a female when I went to look at the litter but Dakota stole my heart at first glance. I will forever be thankful for having him in my life. He was laid back, totally devoted to me and was so well behaved that he required very little training from me. I now have two females. The one I raised from a puppy is the most willful, headstrong, stubborn, independent dog. The other I adopted as an adult and she Reminds me a lot like Dakota. It really does depend on the individual dog and their personality.. Can you go see all the pups in advance and observe them together and with you? Also, ask the breeder to describe the pups individual personalities to you. It's ok to interview the breeder about the pups to see who would fit in with you and your girlfriend the best.
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

Female Join date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:05 pm

I have two female huskies and they are both as sweet as can be and very affectionate. They want to be loved on all the time!
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 4:50 am

My friend said the puppies look like malamute now his freaking me out, come someone look at the puppies and tell me

P.s I never seen a husky puppy before(beside movies and internet) and same goes for malamute
His the puppy I'm getting Very Happy Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 Photo-11
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 5:11 am

apart from size I believe Huskies and Mals are very similar in appearance (dont quite me though).

In my opinion he looks like a husky. But as I said I'm no expert.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 5:55 am

Husky for sure.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 6:08 am

I thought that, but I've never seen a full husky/mal in person/dog. My baby girl looks the farthest thing from a husky :-/
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 9:20 am

There is really no way to tell a husky puppy from a mal puppy as far as I know. What made your friend say that?

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 9:57 am

I don't think he know the different, most likely pulling my leg. It's working

With the blues I thought for sure it's a husky( even if it's not always the case), but Google tells me something different,Even mal have blue eyes Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 85993
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 10:28 am

I don't think a pure bred Malamute can have blue eyes (Mal experts here can correct me if I'm wrong.). What size are his parents? Are you able to see them / spend time with them? He could have some Mal in him and have the blue eyes. And even if one of his parents is 70 lbs or more and above standard for a Husky, he still might just be a large husky. The Sibe and Mal personalities are ultimately different, but you may not even see that until maturity.

I think he looks like a husky... (he kinda looks like mine!)

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 Img_0213
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 10:37 am

Malamutes don't have blue eyes. Most people don't know what they're talking about don't worry!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 10:50 am

arooroomom wrote:
Malamutes don't have blue eyes.
HA. Just goes to show you what happens when I post before I have my morning caffeine! Whoops Razz

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 11:06 am

He looks husky to me! And he's adorable! Believe me go with your gut and you won't be unhappy. Usually I try to pick personality over anything else. My Ruby (lab) is as loving as she could be, and so is Balon (male husky). He is so affectionate with everyone. He had the personality at birth, and so far he hasn't changed.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks, that was very helpful. Its not like I don't like mal, it because we invested a lot of time studying about huskies. From what I heard Mal is a lot of harder to train. Plus my girlfriend only want a husky Razz

My baby girl Luna will be home in 3 weeks,but we have lots of questions. We will post it in the Welcome Mat one week before we go pick her up. We estimated about 25 plus questions, please bare with u, unless y'all don't mind answering them now ^_^

The lady i'm buying the puppy from invite us to come visit the puppy on Monday. What kind of questions should I ask about the puppy and what i should look for?

FYI we only visiting once before we go pick her up, because We from Rhode Island and she's in New Hampshire that about 2+ hour drive. I'm studying radiology and my girl is studying for the MCAT. We both will be free by last week of August
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Wait I thought you were picking a boy? Did you switch to a girl now?

Anyway definitely go see him/her. Ask if the parents have health clearances, ask if shots will be up to date, ask what she is feeding the puppy. Ask if they will be wormed 3-4 times before you pick up. (No guarantee it won't come home with worms though) Meet the parents, how do they look--do they look well cared for and healthy. Are they friendly. Is where the puppies are kept clean and sanitary?

Go to youtube, believe it or not there are many videos by vets on how to pick a healthy puppy. You want an outgoing puppy not a shy puppy. One that has no drainage from nose or eyes or rear end. One that is appropriately bouncy lol.

Whatever sex you choose go with your gut, go for the personality that best suits you! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 10:04 pm

Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 12:46 am

I didn't switch, just couldn't win the battle with my girlfriend Crying or Very sad
Wormed 3-4 time? now i'm scared Neutral I need more research now Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 85993

Thanks Brady, that will be my homework for tonight

Question: I was reading an article on husky, it said if you don't plan to get more than one husky don't bother getting one. I stalked a few people pages lol and it seem liked everyone have 2 huskies
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 12:59 am

I only have one husky. I've never heard that before Neutral As long as you properly socialize and have regular play sessions, have one is perfectly fine. Personally, i think have two puppies at the same time is quite a task! Lol i commend everyone who takes on two at once!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 1:06 am

You can have just one. There are a few people in my local snowdog group who have only 1 husky. You just usually end up finding another and falling in love. lol. They're like potato chips! It's hard to just have one.

We got a second when our first was 10 months old. We wanted her to have a friend and I wanted a siberian I could show in AKC. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if we never got a second, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

But be patient with your first puppy and take the time to fully train it before even thinking about getting a second. I think there are pluses and minuses to having either 1 or 2. Which ever works for your situation.

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 2:20 am

I personally think the breeder should worm the pup a few times but not necessarily 3-4. If the breeder only worms him a couple times, you'll need to do it again or have his stool checked at the vet. Almost all pups have worms.

I've only ever had one husky at a time! We jokingly say that at times Sabaka "needs a pet", but it'll probably never happen! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 9:33 am

You don't have to have more then one, but the article probably refers to the fact the dogs are "pack" animals and sometimes it does seems they are happier having a friend around. I have one Siberian - Balon, and one Lab - Ruby, I had the lab first and wanted another lol, but my husband always wanted a pure Siberian (we had many mixes) so we went with a Sibe. Other then housebreaking (which is still a battle lol) he has been an easier puppy to raise.

As far as wormings, my vet said the norm for breeders is 3 times. Balon was only wormed 2 times, and like I said he had a very nasty case of roundworms which made him thin, have bad breath, and a dry coat. It took me two more wormings to totally get rid of them. Lisa you are also correct however that most pups have some type of worm. Though I was lucky my Lab did not, but her breeder did the 3 wormings. Don't know if that's the reason.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)    Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Soon to be a Husky Owner(which gender please)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next