It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Anyone own a Agouti?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 1:12 am

Thank you! I'm very proud to have him. You're puppy is very cute. It's hard to tell what their general coat color is going to be until they are a couple months old. Kavik was all black except for his underside, paws, and the stripe on his snout when he was first born, then he exploded with colors and patterns. I say your best bet to know if you have an agouti is to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 11:37 am

Ok so i havnt posted here again since i got koda and i wanted to see so far what you guys think. Im at work right now ill get some better pix of his coat when i get home but. The first one is the latest picture of him and the 2nd one is probably a month old but shows his coat better even though he got a lot darker. He still has that cream color under his coat but he just got a lot more dark gaurd hairs i think they are called.. But im not sure i dont lnow much about coats thats why im asking.. Soo agouti?
Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 C34BCB7F-66B3-42F1-AD6E-E5386B58B702-3596-00000195C9B792A3_zps6e6146e8

Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 2F7F8703-748A-4B60-9FF0-56F555EB15BE-24950-000016E6A9CE7B64_zps02723350
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 11:50 am

I still am voting wolf gray with a dirty mask.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Could be sable actually, but I need a better picture from the side. Looks like if he's mostly dark with red thoroughly within his coat, he's likely a sable. His points are all blac, so get me a few good side shots Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Given how much coats change through out puppy hood, I'm inclined to guess the dog will likely be wolf gray with a dirty face.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 pm

So far he looks like an agouti to me. Is he changing to more to red or to black?
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:25 pm

I am still in the woods about Klutch these days. he has the brindlely type look to him, no bright white and i know its doesn't mean much, but also a black tipped tail. i fully accepted that Keno is a wolf grey, which is no big deal, i understand huskies can be hard to identify at the time of birth and registering.

here are the most recent pictures

https://2img.net/h/i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy256/prncsstffny/Dogs%202013/198_zps781075a1.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy256/prncsstffny/Dogs%202013/158_zps88c50c28.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy256/prncsstffny/Dogs%202013/009_zps1f6917f0.jpg
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 pm

here is a site of a friend who likes genetics. kinda puts things in more simple terms.

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/tan.html
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Ok i got 2 pix of koda.. They arnt great cause he was sleeping and i woke him up just for some pix lol. I can take more tomorrow if you need more.. I will try to take a good one tomorrow of behind his ears cause they do have some red to them.. But the rest of his body is turning black not red.
Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 E866FF6F-87F6-4688-AF99-FABAEC2FD37E-4238-000001EBEC1D0E95_zps6670a829

Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 8C1DFF73-DF63-40B6-B73C-EF6F05B15EAF-4238-000001EBF380AFAE_zps909afc26
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 12:26 am

Whoa, crazy! Koda still looks like he could be Kavik's brother.

I Snapped this pic of him today. He's turning black again too!
Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 IMG_1179_zpsa345f448
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Ok here are some more pix. Im kind of unsure if he is agouti or wolf grey now.. What are the difference between the two? I read wolf grey can have red behind their ears.. If there is red behind ears does that mean it cant be a agouti?

This first pic you can see his coat a little, then the reddish tint behind his ears..
Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 A2793191-E140-4EAA-AB0A-91C01F92178F-37176-00001276B747D0EA_zpsdff2179c

This shows his coat pretty well

Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 ACDB1C47-55C0-4CFE-AAA6-F8C311980176-9876-000004F72C53A192_zps48e9cebc

Here is another with his ears..

Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 BA73249D-9082-4B22-AFB0-A6A52EC341F4-27362-00000D6D1AE4DDCC_zps7165e6f3

I know i keep bringing this thread up but im just intersted in coat colors.. Its so hard to distinguish between a few im trying to learn.. I dont even know if its possible to know for sure bybjust looking..

Now this is a pic of his grandfather. He has all the exact same markings!

Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 CAE15229-D1E8-4110-BA48-8B64621F264C-21320-00000A715475AD11_zps9ee02e1c
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:41 pm

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/tan.html

What do the individual guard hairs look like? Are they banded? To me, I would call him an agouti because he does have tan points. And his face looks tan, vs. white in the lighter areas. I could totally be off though. Smile
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 5:31 pm

He might genetically be an agouti - he probably fits the SHCA description of an agouti if he has banded guard hairs black root/tip cream/off white center.  A dirty face is also synonymous with what everyone says an agouti is - but an agouti can have the traditional bright white and irish markings as well - just to further complicate things.  

If you really want to know - VetGen has a test available (I believe you have to order at least 2 tests for it though) and you can find out for sure Smile.

Honestly - the way they have things set up as to what "describes" each color and what genetically happens ....it's a huge guessing game with some dogs.

Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Female Join date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:10 pm

Your guy is really cute, looks very similar in coat to mine, Rue's mask is a little different in the face. The breeder we got him from marked him under agouti but who knows!

Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 47493410
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:38 pm

One day I will be an agouti husky owner... one day...

lol!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 9:17 pm

One day i might to the test when i got extra money. Thats something i really wanna do. Im not going to lie. When my breeder first said that the litter i was going to pick from could possibly have agoutis. I looked them up and said i dont want one of those. But it just grew on me and before he was even born im like "I HOPE THERE IS A AGOUTI MALE" lol
Back to top Go down
Lucila
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 5:37 pm

I just Got my baby husky home this wednesday. I believe he is a dirty faced agouti.
I Think hes one of the only agoutis in Denmark where we live. And i Think hes beautiful! ;)lol.

Im So excited to see your pictures of all your beautiful dogs!

Here is a picture of Wolf, my baby, from 2 weeks ago Smile

Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 Image12
Back to top Go down
andrew.montague
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi guys! i will be posting an intro shortly but this is my baby girl Freya! she is a light colored agouti.

Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 Photo10

Also if you guys want to see some excellent examples of agouti

this breeder has loads of pictures!
http://agoutidreamsiberians.webs.com/
Back to top Go down
andrew.montague
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:56 pm

I just wanted to post another way to tell if your husky has the Agouti Allele in them.

Here are hairs off of freya.
Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 Photo310

Here is a Drawn example:
Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 Agouti13
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 6:17 pm

I try not to use hair banding as the only form of identifying agouti....for example, my female is sable and her hair is banded. She is not an agouti. I'd suggest a vet gen test
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 7:23 pm

If/when we get another Husky I would have to say that Agouti would be my first pick. Awesome coloring.

Your guy is handsome.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Agouti interacts so differently with many other genes that something that doesn't even look like an agouti could be an agouti genetically.  Banding is not a reliable source at identifying whether or not one is agouti.

If that was the case my Black and white girl would be an agouti - and many other colors would be agouti.

Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone own a Agouti?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3