It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Anyone own a Agouti?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Anyone own a Agouti? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 1:04 pm

I was just wondering if anyone on here owned a agouti husky... I havnt seen any pictures of any. I was reading the post about the genes of a husky a little.. I wish that would take off a little more i found it kind of intersting..
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:05 pm

What is this? I googled it and just came up with a South American rodent. It was pretty cute...
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:06 pm

tiffany owns two agouti's, Keno and Klutch. Well, Keno was an agouti as a puppy but then did that husky thing where they transform LOL. Here's her thread and a couple pics from her thread.
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t6510-izzy-koozie-keno-klutch-updated-on-11-12-12
Anyone own a Agouti? 2v1kh9s

Last edited by Mobezilla on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:09 pm

I don't think Koda is an Agouti.. At least not what I've read about their coloring... Perhaps I'm wrong.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:19 pm

from what i read its the binding of 3 colors on a single string of hair which he has.. the breeder calls him agouti.. so what i read he was a agouti.. i dont really have any good photos that show all the color in the fur, but when i get him home january 5th ill take some. what did you read about their coloring kristina? maybe i read something that was wrong.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Danzig's Mommy wrote:
What is this? I googled it and just came up with a South American rodent. It was pretty cute...
its a coloring of huskies
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
tiffany owns two agouti's, Keno and Klutch. Well, Keno was an agouti as a puppy but then did that husky thing where they transform LOL. Here's her thread and a couple pics from her thread.
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t6510-izzy-koozie-keno-klutch-updated-on-11-12-12
Anyone own a Agouti? 2v1kh9s
omg its crazy how close keno and my kodas marking are so close when they are young... i cant believe how much he changed when he got older!!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Ericobeasto wrote:
omg its crazy how close keno and my kodas marking are so close when they are young... i cant believe how much he changed when he got older!!

I know right? He looks like a completely different dog. Gorgeous either way <3 <3
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Cheyenne has that though and she's a wolf grey. As a pup her colors contrasted more and she had a full mask. At 4 years old its mostly faded. I think mccrackens huskies are just dirty faced... Not Agouti. Most people will call it agouti but I don't think it is... They have more creams than white I think too...

Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:45 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Cheyenne has that though and she's a wolf grey. As a pup her colors contrasted more and she had a full mask. At 4 years old its mostly faded. I think mccrackens huskies are just dirty faced... Not Agouti. Most people will call it agouti but I don't think it is... They have more creams than white I think too...
hmmmm i dont know then... cause the mom was all black with cream markings.... and i know her dad was a agouti, so i figured koda was agouti.. and with this pic you can see his fur a little better... what do you think he would be considered then?Anyone own a Agouti? Koda-410Anyone own a Agouti? Koda-411

sorry i dont kno why my pix always come out side ways
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:46 pm

by the way kristen i love mickeys coat!! what is he considered?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:49 pm

This is the coloring i think an agouti husky is, the whites are more of a cream color.
Anyone own a Agouti? 2234468_f260
Took the pic off this page
http://cowgirl0216.hubpages.com/hub/Colors-of-Siberian-
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Koda looks like an agouti to be but i dont really know my colors that well.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:55 pm

ya i seen that picture before.. and to me it looks like kodas fur, im not arguing with people i just am trying to figure out what color he is and wolf grey and agouti are so similar lol.... my breeder actually told me he is agouti/white... which i can see... but from what i read i cant distinct between agouti and wolf grey......
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Even in tht picture u posted of the agotui.. his bottom half is kind of cream/ tan looking.. and you can see that a little in kodas bottom half.. i brought that up to the breeder the last time i was there and she thought it was from the hay he lays on in the kennel.. So that throws me off to lol.. but she could be wrong about the hay.. cause i didnt notice that color on any of the black/white pups with white on their belly
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Yeah his fur does look creamish in the pics you just posted. It'll probably be easier to tell when you bring him home. I've always wondered this, where do you look on the dog to figure out if their fur is banded? Along their back?
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 3:16 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:
Yeah his fur does look creamish in the pics you just posted. It'll probably be easier to tell when you bring him home. I've always wondered this, where do you look on the dog to figure out if their fur is banded? Along their back?
I am not really sure ether that is a good question
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Yeah you won't be able to tell much with those pics. I'd just wait until he gets home and gets a bath lol

The yellowing/cream could be from flash or dirt/hay/urine

Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 4:22 pm

I read somewhere to look at the guard hairs for banding (the 'rougher' hairs along their spine).

Don't remember where, but I'll see if I can poke around my bookmarks. Smile
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm willing to bet the pup is a black/white with a dark face.

My breeder has genetically true agouti's (verified through vetgen DNA test).

The "cream" or "tan" that you're seeing will most likely fade to the traditional white.

Now that's not to say that he couldn't be or isn't even a partial agouti. Agouti gets thrown around a lot because people jut assume that if the dog has a mask or a dark/dirty face its an agouti.

Anyone own a Agouti? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Niraya wrote:
I'm willing to bet the pup is a black/white with a dark face.

My breeder has genetically true agouti's (verified through vetgen DNA test).

The "cream" or "tan" that you're seeing will most likely fade to the traditional white.

Now that's not to say that he couldn't be or isn't even a partial agouti. Agouti gets thrown around a lot because people jut assume that if the dog has a mask or a dark/dirty face its an agouti.
its not the face though tht is throwing me off... if you look at his back and stuff you can see the black/tan/gray mixed in his coat a little..
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 5:01 pm

My Bella is a black and white. She's a salt and pepper - basically. She has a black head, and a mostly solid black stripe down her spine. She has black and white. Black, white black. Black, cream, black. And black, white, black, white banded hairs. Her undercoat on the top half of her body is charcoal. Her guard hairs are white. Her sides starting about halfway down her ribcage and back to her hind legs and tail she is a cream/off white/tan (intermingled with her black and white and gray hairs) undercoat and has clear red markings on her hind legs. She has a white face, white chest, white underside and mostly white legs.

She has the traditional Irish markings (bright white face, chest, underside and legs). Even though she has some agouti characteristics she's a black and white.

Most often people associate an agouti by a dark face, the triple banded hairs (most people will tell you it has to be root black, middle off white and tip black). The dog will lack in the bright white coloring which will be off white/cream (IF there is any white markings). And the coloring from the body will extend all of the way or nearly all of the way down the legs.

The agouti gene is actually pretty complex and I haven't scraped the surface in my research about it (I'm the one who made the genetic research/agouti thread and I haven't had time to keep up with it with my fathers lung transplant)

When I get home I will post two pictures of genetically true agoutis.

I apologize for all of the errors - I'm on my phone.

Anyone own a Agouti? Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Delilah has black/tan/grey in her coat and red all over. She is a sable.

This is a horrible picture, but I hope it helps you see that she has red all over, not just in buffing and burning.

Anyone own a Agouti? Photobucket-10015-1354379426519

Here she is again

Anyone own a Agouti? 427309_2388203242492_561414831_n

Delilah also has triple banded fur but is not an agouti.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
SolitaryHowl
Puppy
Puppy
SolitaryHowl

Female Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 5:56 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Delilah has black/tan/grey in her coat and red all over. She is a sable.

This is a horrible picture, but I hope it helps you see that she has red all over, not just in buffing and burning.

Anyone own a Agouti? Photobucket-10015-1354379426519

Here she is again

Anyone own a Agouti? 427309_2388203242492_561414831_n

Delilah also has triple banded fur but is not an agouti.

She looks very similar to my Suka, and I was told he was wolf-grey.

Anyone own a Agouti? Suka_67_by_canuckzd-d3hrytf

EDIT: But now that I see them side-by-side, I think Suka has more red/tan in him?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 5:58 pm

I always thought she was too - but a few prominent breeds in my area firmly believe otherwise.

All of her guard hairs are banded with multiple colors, if I can get a pic later I will. and she has red/orangey/beige undercoat (that is where all that red comes from) all over her body. She also has black points.

Last edited by mheath0429 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone own a Agouti?   Anyone own a Agouti? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone own a Agouti?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next