It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bad jumping and biting while outside

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Azurebluedolphin
Newborn
Newborn
Azurebluedolphin

Female Join date : 2013-01-06

biting - Bad jumping and biting while outside Empty
PostSubject: Bad jumping and biting while outside   biting - Bad jumping and biting while outside EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 9:43 pm

Hey guys.... I need your help (again). Cash, who is now about 6 months, has been sooooo good the last few weeks. Of course he has his issues but he's been a good boy. But the last week we've started with a BAD case of jumping and biting when he's jumping. He only really does it outside when I take him out to go potty. He's on a leash outside because our fence is a mess, so he'd get out in nothing. Of course we are going to have it fixed but looking in to the corkscrew in-ground with a lead option as well. Anyway, he will be good for a little while but then all of a sudden either starts biting on the leash or just stars jumping. He's biting with his mouth open too, not growling and seems to be play but ROUGH. I've tried ignoring him, telling him no, knocking him down (not hurting him), putting him on a short leash... and then when I get him in the house he goes in his crate. But between the yard and crate is difficult. He tries to spin and get to my wrist. I feel like he's challenging me, but I'm not sure how to respond effectively. What is worse is my mom takes care of him during the week while I'm at work, and if he did this to her, he'd probably knock her down or really hurt her even in play. Please help, I need suggestions!
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Bad jumping and biting while outside   biting - Bad jumping and biting while outside EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 2:35 am

So, heres what i would probably do...
Find some way that he really HATES being picked up. Doesnt hurt him, just makes him feel like a dumb helpless dog. For instance, Soshanna hates being faced backward when i pick her up. Give him exactly one chance to stop when you give your cue. If he doesnt listen, he gets the thing he hates for a few seconds. Repeat as often as he repeats the behavior. If you need to hold him longer, do so. Praise the hell out of him whenever he stops attacking it. Also, try to be aware of his tells, and redirect him with obedience cues before he jumps or play bites.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Bad jumping and biting while outside   biting - Bad jumping and biting while outside EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Crissi
Is it an energy thing or and excitement thing? Have you tried turning away from him? Bourbon did this inside and his is out of excitment or has too much energy. biting - Bad jumping and biting while outside 2144500265
What I do is I hold my hands in my armpits so he can not get to me and I turn around and sometimes stick my butt at him and guive him a hip check. This worked GREAt at first and works sometimes now. (It has decreased alot.) Sometimes I grab his paws and "dance/hug" him to annoy him too. (kind of what Eric said but I think I can find a better annoyance now that I think of it.)

When he does it outside he is on a runner tie out. He bouces with excitementand I have to tell him to sit and wait him out. Eventually he calms down and sits down ...then I take him off a of the runner to greet me (I give lots of praise) and take him inside.

I understand your worry my mom is fragile and Bourbon has bruised her doing this same thing.We started have mom take care of him while I am around to help her, correct her, and remind her how to correct him. She is not alpha at all so it only works a bit but you might be able to try that.

counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Bad jumping and biting while outside   biting - Bad jumping and biting while outside EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 3:20 pm

How much exercise does he get. I've noticed that my dogs are a lot more obedient when they are heavily exercised, and less obedient when they're lacking exercise.

When Paw Paw was younger, he would jump up to bite my arms. I would use the side of my leg/knee/thigh in an outward leg sweep to knock him down and away with a sharp, loud "NO!" or "NO JUMP!!" or "NO BITE!!!" I only use the "no" command as a last resort, so he'd know that if the "no" command was used, he was doing something VERY WRONG and would stop (eventually through practice and repitition).

Over time, we were able to work through his hard-headedness and stubborness (typical husky) and it clicked, and eventually he stopped doing it altogether and has never done it since. It just took time, patience, and training-training-training, and then sticking to your training, holding your ground, and ensuring consistency by keeping the same boundaries so there's no "give an inch, take a foot" mentality.

Unwanted behavior has a strict boundary and is not tolerated, and I would drive that point home to correct it and eliminate it as soon as possible before someone got hurt. A lot of this type of behavior is the fact that the dog might not understand his boundaries, and might even think that he's just playing and having fun, unaware of how his "play" is affecting those around him.

Hope that helps! Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Bad jumping and biting while outside   biting - Bad jumping and biting while outside EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Our GSP used to do this. Even when he's had exercise. He just gets too excited. So I learned this from It's Me or The Dog... when they start doing this, turn your back so they don't get any anttention to feed this behavior. It's worked for me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad jumping and biting while outside   biting - Bad jumping and biting while outside Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad jumping and biting while outside

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1