It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is she going to be a small husky??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
MyaAndI2013

Female Join date : 2013-05-15

Is she going to be a small husky?? Empty
PostSubject: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyWed May 15, 2013 8:27 pm

I love my new baby Mya but I was wondering if I could get input from anyone about how big their female huskies were at 4 months. I took Mya to the vet a week ago and she weighed 15 pounds. Is this small compared to other huskies her age?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyWed May 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Every dog grows at different rates, that doesn't sound unusually small to me. We've had other members with dogs around that weight at that age. She sounds like she may just be on the lower end of the standard weight for female sibes.

Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyWed May 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Ours was 14 at her last vet check up, where is Alabama are y'all?

Edit: Sorry! I'm a goof, Nova's bday is December 29th, she was about 4 months and half a week.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:33 am

I have a fat girl mine was 32 pounds at 4 months lol
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:36 am

Yuki was 20.5 pounds at 4 months, 15 doesn't sound bad at all Smile
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
MyaAndI2013

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:41 am

Ok, I just wanted to make sure I was feeding her enough. She always acts like she's starving. I give her 2 cups a day, 1 in the morning and 1 at night and then a few treats during the day. Nothing too big but she always seems like she's continuously hungry for more!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:45 am

MyaAndI2013 wrote:
Ok, I just wanted to make sure I was feeding her enough. She always acts like she's starving. I give her 2 cups a day, 1 in the morning and 1 at night and then a few treats during the day. Nothing too big but she always seems like she's continuously hungry for more!

I would get a stool sample to rule out worms. It seems you're feeding more than enough as shes getting the amount my 9 and a half month old gets.
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
MyaAndI2013

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:47 am

Mobezilla wrote:
MyaAndI2013 wrote:

I would get a stool sample to rule out worms. It seems you're feeding more than enough as shes getting the amount my 9 and a half month old gets.

She shouldn't have worms...at least I hope. I give her trifexis every month which is supposed to kill intestinal parasites.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:51 am

MyaAndI2013 wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
MyaAndI2013 wrote:

She shouldn't have worms...at least I hope. I give her trifexis every month which is supposed to kill intestinal parasites.

Oh no definitely have her checked out, just in case. I have all mine on Trifexus but I had this problem with Yuki, TWICE! She got tapeworms, which is a worm not covered by Trifexus. I still check her stool every month because I keep thinking its the reason she hasnt gained weight since she was 7 months old. My vet charges about $16 for a stool sample but I'd get a quote from your vet and it'd be nice to rule it out, just in case. Because with Yuki I never saw the tape worms, I only found them by stool sample test.
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
MyaAndI2013

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:56 am

Mobezilla wrote:
MyaAndI2013 wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
MyaAndI2013 wrote:

Oh no definitely have her checked out, just in case. I have all mine on Trifexus but I had this problem with Yuki, TWICE! She got tapeworms, which is a worm not covered by Trifexus. I still check her stool every month because I keep thinking its the reason she hasnt gained weight since she was 7 months old. My vet charges about $16 for a stool sample but I'd get a quote from your vet and it'd be nice to rule it out, just in case. Because with Yuki I never saw the tape worms, I only found them by stool sample test.

I will talk to him about it when I see him tomorrow. Thank you for all your help! She's been like this for as long as I can remember and they did a stool sample on her a week ago but I may ask them if there's anything they may have missed. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:58 am

MyaAndI2013 wrote:
I will talk to him about it when I see him tomorrow. Thank you for all your help! She's been like this for as long as I can remember and they did a stool sample on her a week ago but I may ask them if there's anything they may have missed. Smile

Well if they already did a stool sample then that's fine. I just know Yuki was on Trifexus but still got tapeworms, twice xD
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
MyaAndI2013

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:59 am

Aren't they lovely? Mya had them when I first got her, that's when she started the Trifexis.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 4:40 am

Based on pictures you posted she's fine.

Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Your girl is adorable! I think shes just growing at her own pace, its probably in her genetics. her diet might be affecting her growth rate as well. Nothing to worry about either way!
My pup was 12 pounds at 8 weeks affraid she was free fed kibble at the breeders and was chunkster when I picked her up. She has thinned out since switching her to a raw diet though
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
Wy Renegade
Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 4:35 pm

MyaAndI2013 wrote:

Personally, I always feed as much as they will eat when the bowl is down when they are growing. If she is going through a growth spurt, she may need more food right now and in a few months, she might cut back and you'll be worried that she is starving. Siberians self-regulate their food intake pretty well. That said don't let her make herself sick, but if she acts like she wants more than what you feed her at a particular setting, give her a little more.
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 4:40 pm

I have a boy but he was very small until he hit about 4. No one even believed he was a husky until then. Then, one day he just filled out. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Back to top Go down
MyaAndI2013
Puppy
Puppy
MyaAndI2013

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptySun May 19, 2013 1:26 am

I just took her to the vet yesterday and now she is 16.7 lbs so she is gaining. I just thought she would be bigger than she is by now.
Back to top Go down
Mink
Puppy
Puppy
Mink

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptySat May 25, 2013 1:25 am

I've seen puppies that are smaller and then have a huge growth spurt or a long-lasting growth spurt.
I've also seen puppies grow like no tomorrow and everyone thinks they will be massive but then their growth suddenly grind to a halt at a younger than average age.

So, there's no real way of telling much... Parents size / weight can be helpful in knowing what to expect.

Cadance was 27 pounds at 4 months, she is 40 pounds now at 6 months.
Her mother is 50 pounds, her sire is large, more like 70 pounds, if she keeps a steady growth, she could possibly reach 70lbs, but she could also slow down growing and end up closer to 50lbs.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptySat May 25, 2013 2:03 pm

I think Yuki is definitely one of those slow-growing and I don't think she's gonna grow much more lol. 34 pounds at 10 months XD She's lost weight from when she was 7 months. It'll be interesting to see what they end up as!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptySat May 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Koda grew so fast the first few months I had him.. He is just under 50 at 6 months. But he started to slow down a lot. I think now he just needs to get a little longer and taller. He seems short to me for a husky. But I never owned one so I could be wrong
Back to top Go down
holister
Newborn
Newborn
holister

Male Join date : 2013-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Shes female and normally the female is 10-15 pounds lighter than a male husky and my male husky is almost 4 months and weighs in at 23 pounds, so it sounds like your husky is at the right weight Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is she going to be a small husky??   Is she going to be a small husky?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is she going to be a small husky??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1