It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting frustrated trying to adopt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

Getting frustrated trying to adopt Empty
PostSubject: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 3:12 pm

So I made the decision to try and adopt a rescue husky to add to the family. I have emailed several times and never got a response. I searched all the humane societies in wisconsin and found a few beautiful dogs, but they are open the same hours I work. So I guess I either need to take some days off to go look or put this off longer.
I was really hoping to have a new baby home in the next few weeks. I understand they are probably really busy, being volunteers and such, maybe I'm just being impatient.

On another note, we went and had Christmas pictures taken last night. Hopefully they turn out good. It was a really awesome snow background.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 3:45 pm

FreeSpirite never contacted you?? I emailed them asking if they would work with my distance and I got a response. They told me to just put in an application when I'm ready.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 3:51 pm

No I emailed twice and got nothing, So I just filled out the application and clicked submit and and error came up and I think it deleted it. UGH just so frustrating. How did you email them? What I mean did you go under a general question or through the adoption link?
Did they ever say how much the fees were?
That was my questiona nd whether I can bring Libby with to meet dogs? and have not got anything back.
I don't know if I should wait and call on Monday to see if my application went through or fill it out again?
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 4:01 pm

I used the adoption link
adoptions@huskyrescue.org <adoptions@huskyrescue.org>;
Julie Lesch
Adoption Coordinator
Free Spirit Siberian Rescue
huskyrescue.org
630-290-3327

I didn't think to ask price. I just asked about distance and about cats. I havn't submitted an app yet because I am waiting to hear about Northern Lights. Let us know if you finally hear from them!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 4:28 pm

I did email them asking if my application went through so now I will wait and see. I don't want to submit another if it had. It would be a waste of time on their end. I have off all next weekend for Thanksgiving so it may be a drive around to different shelters to see how the huskies there are.
I will keep you posted.
Thank you
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 4:35 pm

I emailed the rescue yesterday asking if they had any good canidates if Lumen does end up getting adopted out and I haven't heard back from them either. I do think these rescues have events on Saturdays to help expose the dogs to the public, maybe they are busy with that. It's hard being patient, isn't it? Very Happy

Last edited by 26nikita on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 4:45 pm

It is very hard, because in the back of my mind I keep thinking what if that dog gets put down because I didn't get an email back. I know drama queen, right.
I am just enjoying Libby and when the time is right they will get back to me.
But yes its hard. Smile
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Well they just called me and said that the application did not go through so I need to redo it, the fees are $325 on average.
So I get the fun of refilling in the application and we will see. My computer has been acting up so maybe I will wait and try it again tomorrow.

Mindy I hope you get a chance to go get the furbaby you are looking at.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm glad they got back to you! I did have a rescue in Chicago not call me back before so you never know. Good luck in your search as well!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 1:41 am

I was browsing Petfinder earlier, and stumbled upon a few Sibes, not sure how far they are from you though..

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17572245
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21468306
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21292916
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21406607
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 2:54 am

Definitely head to the adoption events so that they can get to know you in person! Smile
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 12:15 pm

Good finds Jennet! Luna is beautiful! Obilooks like Willow!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Thank you Jennet. they are all pretty close. I really like Obi, he is gorgeous. I like the reds. im hoping to get some applications in and go look at a few by the end of the week.I like the idea of having a boy and a girl, but it will be up to who Libby likes.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 12:14 am

Ok, so now I'm getting frustrated. I emailed Friday asking for other options if Lumen is taken and I haven't gotten one word back. I think they are blowing me off.

Last edited by 26nikita on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:29 am

26nikita wrote:
Ok, so now I'm getting frustrated. I emailed Friday asking for other options if Lumen is taken and I haven't gotten one word back. I think they are blowing me off.

Can you call them or is it only via email?
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 11:53 am

I think a lot of those folks still have jobs and things that come before the rescue stuff. When dealing with volunteers, it is what it is.

Once we make a decision to get another, it's impossible to be patient. So far we've been lucky and found all of these guys reasonably fast. Except Coco, her post disappeared for a couple of weeks and then the guy finally called back.

After we lost Lakota we had one helluva drawn out maddening experience with shelters and rescues before we finally turned to craigslist. I'm sure you're frustrated, just don't get angry. You will end up like me.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Eddy's right, we all work other jobs and only one lady who is in charge of everything is retired. Just look at Claudia who does the adopting end for us and how frustrated she has been getting trying to get homes for huskies and then getting the bad end of the stick from our rescue, know what happens she gets discouraged and then it hurts all of us. i gave up on the husky rescue the first time as i NEVER heard back from them and got sierra on CL. then i made a point to get jack from the rescue, we did not know who we were coming home with that day, but i called and called and emailed and emailed till someone got back to me. remember all the stories we have of our huskies finding US, maybe your trouble is only happening because the husky for you is not really there yet?...

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 2:02 pm

I remember when we went through the adoption process for Ginger. It took over 2 months until we finally took her home. The beginning part was the slowest. Adoption application getting lost, home visit report getting lost or misplaced, no return phone calls for a few days - all of these factors contributed to the process in the beginning being drawn out longer than I felt was acceptable. When we finally got to take her home, I became a volunteer, and I now know why it takes a few days in between for anyone to get back to the potential adopters.

I try to get back to the applications within 24 hours of receiving them, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't been sitting for a few days before I even get it. When it's a rescue you're dealing with, things may go slower than when dealing with a place like Dumb Friends League who has more resources and facilities that you can go do, put in an application, and meet the dog of choice and take it home. However, we've gotten some of the huskies that came out of Dumb Friends League because they don't check that the applicants have husky experience or if they have a cat and the husky is cat friendly, etc...

Be patient, be persistent if you really want to adopt a particular dog...

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 2:04 pm

....and Jenn has a point that often times, the right husky will come along at the right time - which may not necessarily mean that it'll be when you're looking.

It happened with Ginger and it happened with Storm....they came to us when it was supposed to happen.

Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 4:00 pm

I am going today to meet Obi, it was on the pet finder links that Jennet sent me. I think heis adorable. I called the place today and they told me now that they don't know if he will be adoptable becasue he gets mouthy with women, but it could be because of the kennels. I asked if it was possible to still come see him and she said yes and that they have been working with him. One of their workers has several huskies and knows the breed. So I am driving the hour and 20 minutes just to see. you never know. We have all heard about the stories thata dog may seem aggressive but the right person comes along and it is different. I guess aggressive is the wrong word she just said mouthy, so I don't know if he just pulls at the clothes or what. Libby gets that way with me when she really wants to play when we are outside.
I just cant take their word for it, I need to see for myself. They also said that they get huskies in a lot and can keep me informed. I will let you all know how it goes.
He may just need training, he was found as a stray.
Thank you all for the input, I too think that if the timing is right it will happen. I love Libby and if it is just the 2 of us for a while that is ok with me too. The right one will come along.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Just got back from seeing Obi, he was really sweet. He was a little growly in the kennel, but once we had him out he was running around and fine. so We decided to get Libby out of the car for them to meet and she was great. she didnt like him sniffing her butt so much but within a few minutes they were running around together. He still needs to be fixed and they said that a few other people were also interested as well and to call on Saturday. fingers are crossed.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Good luck! Did you by any chance see if Luna was still at that shelter? Still haven't heard anything about Lumen. It is hard not to be impatient. Tomorrow I call the local humane society to see why it was in my best interest...

Last edited by 26nikita on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 10:31 pm

he was the only husky there. was luna the one you were waiting on? Obi is at safe harbor humane society in kenosha, wi. Im hoping it will be a plus for me because I already have a husky and understand the breed. I hope you hear something soon. the least they could do is call you back and say the dog went to a good home.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 10:41 pm

I believe Luna is at the same shelter as Obi...It was one of the links Jennet posted on this thread along with Obi.

Lumen is the one I am waiting to hear on...she is not adopted yet. They always put pending next to their name and it hasn't happened yet. They have put pending on two other dogs names during my wait....
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 10:51 pm

I relooked the links that Jennet sent and Luna is in Kenosha but she is at St Francis society and in foster care. It is aggrivating how much they are tossing you around. You think they would want the dogs in a home and have one less animal to care for. It was just surprising how well Libby got along with him. She always growls at other dogs. she turned and rose her lip to him once or twice and he backed off and it went so well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting frustrated trying to adopt

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next