It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting frustrated trying to adopt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Thanks Meredith!

I have sent off an email inquiring about Luma (Jennet provided this link in this thread) on Friday. Waiting to hear back...
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17572245

I just sent off an email inquiring about Sky. She is in Indiana but only 2 1/2 hours away according to mapquest. I was hoping I could just call and go see her today but the website says I have to email my request and then they will decide if I should fill out an application followed by a phone interview and then make an appt to see her. And this girl as ita animal control! Man, if Breeders went throught this process, maybe we wouldn't have so many in the shelters!
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21031612

Last edited by 26nikita on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:10 pm

26nikita wrote:
I'm not really frustrated with how long it's taking, cause it has only been two weeks but with the rescues and how they won't work with me or leave me hanging.... I'm suppose still suppose to get an answer from Lumen's rescue this weekend. If I don't...I'm emailing them to find out why they are leaving me hanging. They have other dogs on their website that says cat friendly so I don't know why they are not offering them to me. I emailed and asked about other options and have gotten no response. I'm almost at the point that I will just try to rescue a CL or HS dog and forget the rescues. If that doesn't work out then I'm getting a puppy...but I will give it some time before I make that decision.

I understand this very much Mindy... Before getting Mickey we tried so many rescues. Half of them wouldn't even call/email us back the others took our "adoption application" fee and never heard another word. It was seriously frustrating and eventually we just walked into animal control and walked out with Mickey not even an hour later. All we had to do was show our drivers licences and pay $65. Once we had Mickey we figured it would be easier to adopt a 2nd dog. Not even close- we got the same run around and BS from all of these rescues who "needed" homes for their dogs so badly. We found Cheyenne after a few months but after the whole ordeal before and after Mickey I said goodbye to rescues and have taken in strays, shelter dogs, and rehomes.

Not to bad mouth rescues but they need to understand that we're trying to help. And to ignore us or brush us off because were "too far" is BS and we're not going to sit around and wait for you to finally decide we may be worthy. I think the worthiest dogs are those sitting in animal controls, humane society's, or owned by idiots who could care less. Their lives really are in jeopardy. Those dogs need the rescuing. That's all i'm going to say about it... makes me so angry.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:23 pm

Kristina, your animal control must be more lenient. in my post before yours, I mentioned sending off an inquiry to Sky and she is in Animal Control in Indiana. Their process of adoption is as bad as a rescue.

Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 8:39 pm

I dont even know if we have an animal control around here. All I know is that the humane societies pick up strays. I have not really looked on CL yet. Just because I dont know if any shots or anything is up to date like at a shelter.
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 9:26 pm

I feel so bad for you guys! These rescues sure are giving you a hard time. I understand they want to make sure the dogs go to good homes but there's a fine line between being to lenient and being too strict. You want the dogs to go to good homes but you want them to actually go to a home!

Keep your chin up though! You'll find your husky friend before too long and when you do, you'll be glad you had to wait. Trust me, it took me 4 years to finally convince my mom to get my first sled dogs and when I finally did, I was glad I had the dogs I had and not ones I had looked in the past. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 10:03 pm

I really can't stand how a lot of the rescues in this area are so stuck up. I've never really personally dealt with them myself, but I haven;t heard great things. Adopt a Husky was really good thought about helping pull a very mouthy and anxious Husky from our shelter last year though.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 10:15 pm

It's all meant to be. If it weren't, we wouldn't have Chili - the most awesome husky we could have imagined! Wink We went through alot of heart ache - but as Dee has said - you get the husky you need not necessarily the husky you want. We're here with you. Good luck! Smile

Last edited by hollywoodhuskies on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 6:54 am

I'm hoping to get a puppy in a month or two. I would love to adopt I am just concerned that i would not be able to be approved. That is, unless i can find one at a local shelter. I doubt that's likely. I will probably just buy one from a BYB. I will still be giving a husky that might not have had a better chance a good home. That's still a good thing in my book!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 12:15 pm

Casey, why do you think you wouldn't be approved?

Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 12:44 pm

kclee wrote:
I'm hoping to get a puppy in a month or two. I would love to adopt I am just concerned that i would not be able to be approved. That is, unless i can find one at a local shelter. I doubt that's likely. I will probably just buy one from a BYB. I will still be giving a husky that might not have had a better chance a good home. That's still a good thing in my book!
If there is anything that I can do to convince you against this course of action, consider it done. Even though you are saving one puppy, BYBs will never stop breeding unless we stop giving them business. I echo Sara's inquiry: why do you think you won't be approved? Further, if you don't think you'll be approved from a rescue to adopt, why would you go to a BYB and not a reputable breeder? If you let us know your circumstances, I'm hoping perhaps we can point you in the direction of somewhere that you can adopt from or at least a reputable breeder in your area.

Back on topic... this same issue has come up time and time again about rescues. It took us 6 months to find both of our dogs. And that's 6 months from the time we started seriously looking. I understood it taking so long to get Koda. We were inexperienced first time dog owners. Our only experience with huskies was John when he was little had one, but as we all know, growing up with a dog is not the same as raising one yourself. However, we were shocked when it came time to find Hailey. We had a happy, healthy teenage husky and we were turned down left and right from rescues. We were over 100 miles away. We didn't have a fenced in yard. We didn't own our own home. Everyone focused on what we DIDN'T have and not on what we DID have to make it work: two dedicated owners, plenty of fenced in public areas that we brought Koda to, a track record of responsible ownership, and the love and tenacity to make it work.

I understand that rescues are picky when they are not hurting for space to take in more dogs. What I don't understand is when rescues are turning dogs away, dogs are dying in shelters, and people STILL focus on what negatives and not the positives. An experienced owner with one happy husky who wants another is almost ALWAYS a great home for another. There are exceptions to every rule, but I don't understand why rescues do not see it that way more often.

Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Casey, don't let us discourage you from trying a rescue first. It is better to save one that way. I understand that getting a puppy from a BYB is easier but does not help the situations for these dogs. I know it can be stressful but I know it will be worth it knowing I saved one and they get that too. Please do what you can. Smile

In my mind like Mindy and I said it wouldn't be so bad if only they would reply to our questions. I at least have had the oppurtunity to at least meet a few dog, unlike Mindy.
It seems like all the rescues are so far away and location seems to be everything to them.
After the post of the universe being off makes so much sense because nothing seems to be going right lately. I'm not going to give up and know that the right dog will come along before I know it.

Its also stressful becasue gas is not cheap and when I'm driving around meeting these dogs, that doesn't mean they can come home with me that day. I will still have to go back and pick them up, which is fine but I work until at least 5pm everyday and they are closed on Sundays, so time is an issue. I still have Libby at home and she needs to meet these dogs too.

My weekends will be Christmas shopping and I am going to go to some of the adoption sites this weekend. I guess Petcos all over are having adoptions this weekend.
Can someone give me an extra few hours a day to help. LOL It is also hard because it gets dark by 4:30pm around here now. I hate driving at night!!!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Casey, I echo Tori and implore you not to give a BYB business. Perhaps we can all band together and help you with a solution? Smile The husky family is there for you! Having a buddy for your husky is so rewarding, as long as you are ready for the additional work and expense (incl. emergency vet fees, etc).

First of all, do you want the puppy experience? I see numerous puppies on petfinder in West Virginia - not sure how far they are from you. You can offer to foster a puppy.
Click here for petfinder in WV

However, please understand that it's huge undertaking for at least the first 4-6 weeks with little sleep, with it still being a lot of work for the first year and a half. Do you and your girlfriend have the time with work/school/friends/life to dedicate 24/7 to a puppy? Not trying to deter you - but just putting the reality out there.

If you do have the time and energy - that's fantastic! I'm sure that we can help you find puppies through a rescue or a legitimate breeder. If you're worried about cost, legitimate breeder costs are usually less than pet stores/backyard breeders. Real breeders aren't in it for the money - it's to expand their show or racing line and they usually barely break even after vet costs.

If you're worried about an older husky being unpredictable and damaged by their previous lives, I think that you can see by all of our rescued huskies that they bounce back no matter what they've been through and no matter how old they were when we got them (hell...I got a four year old that's the perfect dog! Fully trained!). Spending some time with the husky prior to adoption gives you a good idea of what to expect, especially since you already have one and understand their temperament.

We do have some crazy rescue group stories - but there are a lot of other rescue groups that are awesome. The one we adopted our dogs from was sooooo welcoming and awesome. Please consider volunteering with one prior to getting your 2nd so that they get to know you. It's extremely rewarding, plus you'll get first dibs on puppies. Wink

We're all here to help! Smile

Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 1:19 pm

^^^^^Awesome advice!^^^^^^^
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 2:48 pm

I really hope you reconsider- while rescues aren't the easiest or most pleasant to adopt from there are still tons of Siberians looking for homes who are stuck in shelters and humane societys. Siberians who can't be pulled by rescue because there isn't enough space.

I truly hope you won't add to lining BYBs pockets- if we continue to buy they will continue to breed.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Christine, how is the adoption hunt going? I haven't read anything lately and didn't know if you decided to wait a bit.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 4:36 pm

I keep looking on CL and at the local shelters waiting for some luck. There were a few posted on CL today and I have emails in, but no response yet. I'm even looking at younger puppies that are out there. Libby needs a playmate, with the weather changing so much around here, she doesn't get as much outside time because it is dark out when I get home. I play with her and walk her but she is bored with me. Keeping my fingers crossed.
To me if someone is rehoming there puppy or dog they shouldn't be asking $300, to me thats a breeder acting like someone who needs to get rid of there dog.
How are Willow and Piper getting along now? Has Piper opened up more?
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 4:54 pm

I agree...$300 is way too much. They should not make money off of dumping their dog. It's ridiculous!

My two girls are doing great! Piper is giving me such a great puppy experience! I'm so thankful cause Willow was not a good puppy experience! LOL! She is my girl now though. Very Happy They have meshed well. I really couldn't ask for better...
Back to top Go down
Lainaloo
Teenager
Teenager
Lainaloo

Female Join date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 5:03 pm

I was just looking on CL and someone was wanting $500 for their 2 year old German Shepherd.... What the hell is up with that. I emailed them a piece of my mind.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/laina.dotson
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 5:17 pm

I have an email in for one in the Chicago area named Balto. very cute and they only want $50 for rehoming, waiting on a response.
Also may have an option to Maya that was posted the other day on here. Another waiting game.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Lainaloo wrote:
I was just looking on CL and someone was wanting $500 for their 2 year old German Shepherd.... What the hell is up with that. I emailed them a piece of my mind.

That's crazy!

Balto is cute! Reminds me of my Dakota. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks Mindy, and I'm glad the girls are getting along great.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 2:31 pm

It's official, I am not getting Lumen. They said she has SA and they are going to try to adopt her out as a one dog only. I'm dissappointed...
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 2:39 pm

26nikita wrote:
It's official, I am not getting Lumen. They said she has SA and they are going to try to adopt her out as a one dog only. I'm dissappointed...

That sucks. Sorry to hear. I always thought a dog with SA would do better with the company of others dogs. Frankie was practically cured of his SA once we moved in with Bruiser.

The dog that was meant to be with you will come along soon enough and you will see it was worth the wait. Sorry it's so frustrating
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 2:45 pm

Dee&Frankie wrote:

That sucks. Sorry to hear. I always thought a dog with SA would do better with the company of others dogs.

That's what I was thinking too. That sucks a lot, and I'm sorry to hear that's how it worked out for you. As Dee said, the right dog will come along, and for now enjoy Piper and Willow.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Dee&Frankie wrote:
That sucks. Sorry to hear. I always thought a dog with SA would do better with the company of others dogs. Frankie was practically cured of his SA once we moved in with Bruiser.

The dog that was meant to be with you will come along soon enough and you will see it was worth the wait. Sorry it's so frustrating

I agree. I think it would have made more sense if she used the excuse of my work schedule. But, your right, if it was meant to be...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting frustrated trying to adopt

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next