It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting frustrated trying to adopt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:51 pm

im with Len, make an offer you want to pay and tell him you are asking him to go to that price because you will have to have her spayed still and does she need shots? tell him you have a husky looking for a friend and that you will be a great parent to this new addition, sell your self! good luck!

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:52 pm

You have to sell yourself too. With the dogs we've gotten off of craigslist (most of them), by the time I'm done with checking out the dog and building rapport with the seller they're not confident enough to keep asking for the original price. You know you're the better home. Hammer that point to no end and don't be afraid to walk away, if only for an hour or two. Everything is sales. Especially with people who aren't familiar with the breed. You can easily impress upon them the need for that dog to go with you.

I would think that at four months of age, enough cuteness has faded that they would be ready to compromise on their original intentions.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Is the dog coming with vaccination history, paperwork, anything?!

I wouldn't pay $250 for an unaltered animal. I've been spoiled by animal control I guess. I'd tell the person that the dog isn't spayed and if he would compensate by dropping the price to $150. If not, and you really don't want to pay that... Flag 'em!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:54 pm

libbybell74 wrote:
He said he is firm on the price because it is 1/2 of what he paid. I look at it as you dont want her anymore, you cant make money off of her.
yeah like he has to pay his bills or buy x mass gifts or some other thing..... ugh people piss me off on CL i think $150 is the MAX anyone should be asking on there. your right HE is re-homing her and its his loss on what he paid, he should have done better at thinking about adding a puppy with an older dog. i just hope if you don't get her she does not end up with someone breeding her!

Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Be firm about it and offer your price. If they say they won't take it, thank them, and let them know that you'll be willing to take the dog for that price, if they don't find someone else able to. You may lose the chance for that dog, but if they aren't looking to make money, they should be open to all offers.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks everyone, I wil keep you informed, and yes ahe has her first shots but needs her 6month ones and to be fixed.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Just a heads up, if she doesn't have a vet record of the first shots (like, they were done at a pet shop), you will still need to get those done at your vet. At least, that's what our vet told us with Isis when we got her.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Get the vet records when you pick her up. Pipers former family did not respond to my emails for vet records since I already had her. I just didn't even think of that and she had to get all her shots again.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Ok, I will ask for records if we can work something out.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:01 pm

So he has no records and will not budge on hs price. Now i'm confused, Do I or Dont I???????
I guess I have some thinking to do.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:05 pm

libbybell74 wrote:
So he has no records and will not budge on hs price. Now i'm confused, Do I or Dont I???????
I guess I have some thinking to do.

how much you want to bet he either found the husky, took the husky, or bought it off CL and is reselling husky to make $$$..... some dumb person will pay it and then you can only hope they will do right for her....

if you have your heart set on her and you have the $ then do it. but make sure you get the husky in the pic and not a swap like Mindy thinks happened to her.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:14 pm

Really just depends on if you want to spend $250 on a pup with no papers or records to speak of. We were in your position a long time ago trying to find Mickey a friend... everyone wanted $300+ for their "rehome fee" and rescues wouldn't look twice at us. Finally when I basically gave up, Cheyenne basically fell into our lap.

Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Sorry, when I bought her I did not get her puppy records.
It is only the worming and distemper shot. The important
ones is the rabies that she gets at 6 months, and 1 year.
Then every 2 years after that. Some vets are every 3 years.
I can be home tonight, just let me know when. I am a disabled
Navy Veteran and usually only go to town when my son is home
to drive me.
I can not go below $250.00 for her. I have so many interested
families, and I am giving up alot of what she cost me just a couple
months ago. Jasmine has run of the house here also. Except they both
only go upstairs at night when we do.

This is the last email from him. She is adorable, but I keep thinking that one at a rescue would be fixed and have all the shots already, but the puupy would grow to be good with the cats. I have the money but keep thinking that he is trying to make money from her. He does have pictures posted that are dated for a few months so this could be me not fully trusting people, you never know.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm at the point that I don't believe anyone. If he hadso many intetested, he wouldn't still be talking to you since you are trying to bring the price down. Why would he bother with you if he has intetested parties willing to pay the fee?
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Thats what I keep thinking, He did give me his address and phone number with my first email. I am just tired of the rescues I have tried and all the adults I find at shelters always seem to go to the person before me. I just dont want to make this decision because I want another dog. She is listed under the madison, wisconsin CL ad, if anyone wants to look at her.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 5:02 pm

would it be to hard to go and see here with libby and see how they do? then "walk away" and see if he comes down in price? i agree if there are sooo many wanting her then why keep talking to you unless you were first in calling and he is giving you the option....

Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Aw she's super cute. I don't think those pics can be dated correctly and have her currently be 4 months old.

Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 5:34 pm

I was thinking the same, She seems way too big in the 12/19/11 picture to be only 4 months old.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 5:39 pm

If this doesn't feel right all the way around, stand firm also. If he has other interested families, then fine. Take your time. The right one will find you. And you'll know when it's the right one because you won't have the doubts you're having with this one.

Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks everyone, I think I may take Libby to meet her and then I can see everything for myself and see if they get along, it nice because it is only about a 1/2 hour drive from me, unlike the past long drives. Maybe if I'm there with cash he will reconsider the amount.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 5:55 pm

Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Be careful:
http://madison.craigslist.org/pet/2763634702.html
Like so many have said if he has plenty of interested people he wouldn't communicate so much. I know its tough but listen to your head along with your heart or you'll be taken. (good looking pup though)
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 8:35 pm

I can't find the ad...did it get taken down already?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Ad is gone as it was there this afternoon......................... there was one for a beautiful red & white and now that is gone also.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 10:06 pm

Christine, if you don't get the red/white girl...check this 6 mo old boy out. I would help transport....he is beautiful!

http://decatur.craigslist.org/pet/2763786161.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting frustrated trying to adopt

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next