It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting frustrated trying to adopt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 4:09 pm

So the lady who has Balto emailed me yesterday and i gave her my number and asked that she call me i was willing to drive the distance to get him and have heard nothing. Now i see the posting is deleted so I hope he at least went to a good home. i know she said she was worried about me having another dog because he can act dominant. oh well. i will keep looking. mindy sorry about lumen that was one heck of a drawn out situation.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Melissa was so right about timing. Maybe when this retrograde thing is over, you will find the one. I think she said the 15th??

I found a 4 mo old in Chicago and thought of you but they want $300. He's really cute and has freckles, it's too bad they want so much for him.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 4:34 pm

26nikita wrote:
Melissa was so right about timing. Maybe when this retrograde thing is over, you will find the one. I think she said the 15th??

This retrograde is kicking everybody's a$$! It's been one thing after another and nothing works out. Ugh!! Over the 14th, but we'll feel the effects until like the 17th/18th. Almost there!!!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 7:12 pm

That really sucks about Lumen, especially as you already waited so long to hear. I don't think their reason is a good one; like Dee, I always thought being with another dog would help with the separation anxiety.

I am sure the right dog is out there somewhere waiting for you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 11:26 pm

Sorry to hear about Lumen Mindy, that blows Sad

The right dog will come in time Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 11:55 pm

26nikita wrote:
It's official, I am not getting Lumen. They said she has SA and they are going to try to adopt her out as a one dog only. I'm dissappointed...

That's bullsh** - if they're making up an excuse they should at least make up a better one. It's well known that dogs with SA do better in a multi-dog household. Sometimes they transfer their dependence to the other dogs and are ok without the humans being present. Good job at making yourselves look incompetent, rescue! Smile

Whatevers, as everyone said - what is meant to be will happen! Smile We lost out on numerous dogs and I thought I was going to go INSANE before we got a dog! Wink It's all good now!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 am

I honestly just don't know what to think aobut it...she ended her email by telling me if I wanted to adopt in the future to let her know. Oh well, It is what it is!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 6:24 am

did you ever hear more about Luna in Kenosha, WI?

i was doing my daily dog browsing and stumbled upon this gorgeous boy, says he's dog and cat friendly!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21636653
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 9:36 am

Nope! I had to email them twice to see if she was available and finally got a yes. So I emailed a third time to tell them I was interested and wanted to fill out an app and never heard from them again. I would have called to talk to them but where it listed phone number it said to email. She is at a rescue. I think rescues are not an option for me. I may change my mind in the future but for right now... I'm pretty soured on the whole experience with rescues. I'm gonna stick to private rehomes and I'm gonna wait to get the third. Maybe Christine would be interested though.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 am

That boy is a bit far for me, he is in Indiana.
So the lady with Balto did not listen to me about calling me, instead she emailed me at work, which I told her 3 times I can not access it at home. Oh well, I guess she is getting rid of him because she has recently seperated from her husband and now Balto is anxious around men. She thinks that it is because he feels abandond my her husband. It has only been a few weeks and she is in school and cant take care of him alone. It is way to far to drive after work so I said if he is still available I could come this weekend. We will wait and see.
Mindy I feel the same way you do, I would rather get one from someone that is trying to rehome them and stop them from even reaching the shelters. It is also a lot cheaper, most of the time.
I am not giving up, I will find the right one.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 12:37 pm

This guy is available form our local rescue. Who wants a wooly?!

Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 393236_256844484376155_131543303572941_690621_191067667_n
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Riley, he looks a lot bigger than I can handle. Could you imagine the shedding with the long hair. He is really cute though.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Oooh! He's so cute, Riley!

Christine - the woolyness is definitely more work, we brushed woolies at a rescue and once matted, you had to cut out the mats! Eeek!

But as for size, I'm finding the big ones are more mellow and as long as they're well trained - are less work. I've taught our big one the stop and "whoa" commands - and can pretty reliably call him off from chasing and pulling. He's a dream on a leash compared to our little Wile E. Coyote! (working on it!) Working in rescue, walking any huge dogs that aren't huskies feels like walking a Chihuahua on a leash. hehe No pulling!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:25 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
This guy is available form our local rescue. Who wants a wooly?!

Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 393236_256844484376155_131543303572941_690621_191067667_n

I don't really want a wooly but I would so change my mind for this guy! He is georgous!!!

Why are some of the words highlighted in red??? Is it just on my computer? Does anyone else see that?
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:29 pm

WOW! I just looked Lumen up on Petfinder to see if they changed her profile since all of a sudden she is no longer good with other dogs and she has a pending status! Really????
Back to top Go down
ariels0315
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:44 pm

I see some of you are looking for a husky and I have a private rehome I am looking to have someone that already has a dog because Titan is really in love with his friend Truffle and I know the separation is going to be a lot easier if he has a new friend. We are from Ohio and my husband and I are willing to drive to the surrounding states if that will help meet anyone half way. I have a post up under the rescue section, please email me for pictures or call me.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 2:01 am

I can't see why they lie, Mindy. I just don't get it.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 am

libbybell74 wrote:
Riley, he looks a lot bigger than I can handle. Could you imagine the shedding with the long hair. He is really cute though.

I have a long hair and he sheds the least of my 3. He does require more grooming however or all his fur ends up in knots. Depends on the dog and the climate I suppose. Of course I always tell people that ask about shedding ; "Hair today hair tomorrow!"
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 9:53 am

arooroomom wrote:
I can't see why they lie, Mindy. I just don't get it.

You're right, they have no reason to lie. I'm just not happy with how they handled everything. I'll get over it and I AM glad she is getting a home.

ariels0315, I wish I could help you out but I would not be the best home for him if he needs training with cats. I'm pretty sure I could train him but I realize it would not be fair to my 16 year old cat that is sick with kidney failure. She is not doing so well and I think if I added another dog that would pester her, the stress would cause her to decline even more. Considering this, it is probably best I don't add another one until she has passed on. I was lucky that Piper has no interest in the cats.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 11:29 am

Mindy, I am sorry about Lumen and I didn't realize that about your cat. Sorry. My one is 18.5yrs old and Libby loves to chase him around and I always worry she will jump on him and do some damage. She doesn't attack him but wants to play.
Have not heard anything from the lady with Balto so I am guessing he is gone.
I did find an all white one about an hour from me and just have not had the time to email or call yet. Been busy with work. Christmas season in retail.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:33 pm

So I did my daily check on CL for huskies and came accross a 4month old red. She is so cute, but the guy wants $250 to rehome her. UGH I dont know. That seems a little steep. I have another email into him asking why he is rehoming her. He wrote saying she gets along with all the farm animals at the house. So now I'm confused about what to do, It would be great timing because I have off 4 days over Christmas and then work 3 and have off another 4. The only thing holding me back is the price.
Any opinions?????
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Honestly, that's the price from many of the Husky rescues close to here... Although, I do think that you could find something cheaper from a shelter... and they are in more danger of being put down. You run the risk of not getting a full blooded husky, but as long as they are sweet does it really matter? rendeer
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:43 pm

I know a rescue at least would have the animal already fixed and thats a bonus, but I have been dealing with rescues around here and they refuse to call or email back. I am worried about the cats with an adult because a puppy can get used to them being family and not food.
He just emailed back and said the 7yr old lab they have had since he was a puppy does not get along with the husky and they are worried about it getting hurt.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:43 pm

People going to CL are looking for bargains and will try to work the seller down in price, usually works to. Make an offer you feel good about if he declines flag the ad. LOLOL
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:48 pm

He said he is firm on the price because it is 1/2 of what he paid. I look at it as you dont want her anymore, you cant make money off of her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting frustrated trying to adopt

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next