It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting frustrated trying to adopt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Did you get a pissy email back from her or something?

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 2:58 pm

edited
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 4:14 pm

26nikita wrote:

Maybe the timing is all off and that's why I am having all these issues. I think I'm going to stop looking for now.

Ok, don't call me crazy, but I'm very into astrology. Well, I should say that my mom is VERY into it and I just completely believe in it. I grew up with it. So anyways, Mercury (the planet of communication) is now retrograde. Which means it's orbiting backwards instead of forward. This happens a few times a year and lasts about 2-3 weeks. During this time EVERYTHING goes wrong!! Miscommunications, electronics breaking, tension, fights, etc, etc. It's not a good time to sign any papers or get into anything long term during this time. Look what's happened to me! Broke my work phone, hubby broke his phone, the accident, Mya and Kody fighting, Thanksgiving was a bit of a hassle, etc. It's just not a good time and you need to very cautious with everything. They are minor to big inconveniences ALL AROUND.

I think it should be over in mid December. In my opinion this is why nothing is working out. Just keep looking, but don't get frustrated and give up. The "one" is right around the corner!!!

Last edited by MelissaI on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Never would have thought about it, but that kind of makes sense Melissa. We've had a bad run of it here too.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 4:23 pm

I don't think you are crazy! It wuold explain alot. By-the way, i took out my previous posts. Even though I am having issues with some of these rescues, I don't want other people to read them and then be discouraged from trying to rescue from them, so I deleted out my posts.

The owner of the skinny dog emailed and said his dog is still available. I emailed him back and told him that's great except his dad won't return my call. I feel it's too late to head towards an unknown part of Chicago now. If he doesn't get back to me tonight or very early tomorrow morning, then I will not be available to go see this dog until next Saturday. I'm at the "whatever happens, happens" stage right now. If something changes, I let you all know.

Hopefully Christine is having a better day....
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Got a call from the dad....the skinny guy got into a fight with his beagle so he took the husky to animal control.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Sad

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:48 pm

That's such crap. I wonder if it wasn't a case of the smaller dog instigating and the bigger dog getting blamed for it. That's what always happens at our house.

I'm so sorry you're having trouble with this.

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:51 pm

I really hope he doesn't get put down. Maybe they will see that he has been starved and give him a chance!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:55 pm

He took the dog to ANIMAL CONTROL? Really? Crap!
I cannot believe the hassles you guys have gone through to try to adopt! The only GOOD part is maybe it takes them so long because they are wanting to really be sure the huskies are getting teamed with the right owners?
We waited a maximum of a week for Nanuk from the Humane Society. That was from meeting him to paperwork to picking him up. When we saw Mika, they practically wanted to send her home with us 2 days later! (nanuk had been a problem child, and they had seen how well we have done with him, so were more than glad to adopt her out to us!) Of course at the time, she was too thin (despite being pregnant, which the Society "supposedly" had no idea about) and kinda scraggly, and had been there two months, so I am guessing they weren't having much luck with her!
It took longer for Isis...she was in a private rescue run by one lone woman, and took longer to set things up. Then, she was pregnant at 9 months and had heartworm. It was over a month til she was actually ours.
Things will happen as they are supposed to, and not before. I know it's hard, but don't rush it! When you find your next fur-baby, everything will just click!
Good luck to you both on the journey!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 6:04 pm

I think I am so frustrated is becuase I haven't even gotten to meet a dog yet! Half the time I get rejected and I haven't even filled out an application! The one place I have filled out an application, they have had it for two weeks and none of my references have been called on. I totaly get that we need to find the right match, but I have yet to meet one single dog! Melissa is right! The world is ass backwards right now! Maybe in December I will have some luck!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Did you guys have a chance to meet that 5 month old good with cats? Or is she too young?
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 6:22 pm

I didn't want to inquire yet since I was going to go get the skinny boy. Sorry, the guy never gave me his name. Anyway, the 5 month old is in Chicago so it's not easy to just jump in my car and go see her without getting some facts from them. I don't want to waste a 6 hour trip for nothing! She is at a rescue and as you have read...I am having issues with them even talking to me.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 7:50 pm

WHATTTTT??!!!!!! THEY TOOK HIM TO ANIMAL CONTROL?! WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!! Can you go see him at animal control? How far is from you again? I'm in shock...wow!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:54 pm

OMG! what the hell is wrong with that guy. you dont take an animal in because of some fight. Well my day was unsucessful. I drove around over 300 Miles total and got to see 3 huskies but 2 are older and they want to keep them together and the other boy was so cute and wanted attention, but was a total basket case and Libby and him did not get along at all. So back to square one. Im going to keep looking and decided that when the time is right it will happen. The whole universe out of alinement makes a ton of sense. Mindy if I were you I would try and contact animal control or at least see if the kid can contact them for you.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 9:17 pm

I was hoping you were atleast going to have some good news Christine!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Sorry, I guess it is not in the stars for us right now. Hopefully before Christmas. Sometimes I can see why people get puppies, it seems easier. But I really want one thats at least a year old.There are humane societies around me but they dont have any huskies. just going to keep looking.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 3:34 am

Poor Husky Sad I cant believe they dropped him off, I'll keep an eye on the Husky Animal Control pages to see if I spot him.

The 5 month old Sibe was picked up as a stray in Chicago, brought to animal control, and was never claimed by her owner. The rescue grabbed her right up, she's precious I love you if you don't want her send her to me Wink lol
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 3:43 am

Mindy-any chance that this is him? http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21529577
there's no pic, but it was just added today to petfinder..
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 3:56 am

That may be, but I believe the original CL post was from Lake in the Hills, which is actually quite a ways away from Lockport. Shoot, Lake in the Hills is only about 20 miles or so from Wisconsin. My parents actually only live about 20 minutes away from there, and it's extreme SW suburbs. Mindy, if you were to pursue that one, it wouldn't be as much of a drive for you, only about 2 hours as opposed to ~3.5 to the northern 'burbs like Lake in the Hills. That one looks promising, you should give them a call and see if he's been cat tested.

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:06 am

I believe she said in one of her previous post, Lockport said she was too far away to adopt..

Do you know what county animal control he would have been brought to?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:15 am

I think the problem with Lockport was that the rescue considered her too far away, as she's around 100 miles south of there. Lockport is in Will County and Lake in the Hills is McHenry County. It's also a good hike from Chicago, so I doubt that skinny boy went into the Chicago Humane Society system unless daddy lived closer to the city (~ 40 miles away). The Chicago area is amazingly large and sprawled out. It takes fully 2 hours to get from Lockport to Lake in the Hills (I've driven pretty close, dad used to have a client up that way).

Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 10:25 am

If it isnt him it is another very skinny neglected boy. Only 22lbs at 10 months. poor thing. They are about 145miles for me, so that is a hike. On my drive yesterday I saw a McHenry on the Gps and it was about 30 miles away for me yet, but I was so sick of driving around in the rain that I headed towards home. Maybe I will have to make the trips if they arent too far and visit some of the adoption sites. I liked the one yesterday named Maylo, but he was a little psycho, needs a lot of training and would be better off the only dog and no cats. I need cat freindly.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Lockport won't adopt out to anyone over an hour away. Here is the thread if you want to read it and see the beautiful girl I wanted to adopt from them.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t997-female-husky-in-hobart-in

Jennet, that 11 mo old would not be him. He was 3 years old.

Meredith, his dad's address was not too far from Lake of the Hills....It was Algonquin. Have you heard of it?

All dogs are at minimum 2 1/2 hours away from me. That's 5 hours round trip, so I can not go see a dog during the week. I don't want to be traveling in the dark in unknown cities like Chicago. Plus I really have to get facts on these dogs before I attempt to go see them. Please keep the links coming just remember I can't jump on it right away. I'm at a huge dissadvantage because of my distance and then adding cat friendly to such a high prey driven breed.

I hesitate on the 5 mo old. He is a puppy and I was hoping to avoid the whole puppy stage with rescuing. In reality, I have only been looking for a bit over 2 weeks so I want to give it some more time before I have to settle on a puppy again.

I'm not really frustrated with how long it's taking, cause it has only been two weeks but with the rescues and how they won't work with me or leave me hanging.... I'm suppose to get an answer from Lumen's rescue this weekend. If I don't...I'm emailing them to find out why they are leaving me hanging. They have other dogs on their website that says cat friendly so I don't know why they are not offering them to me. I emailed and asked about other options and have gotten no response. This is the one that has had my application for 2 weeks and has yet to call any of my references. I'm almost at the point that I will just try to rescue a CL or HS dog and forget the rescues. If that doesn't work out then I'm getting a puppy...but I will give it some time before I make that decision.

Last edited by 26nikita on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 3:53 pm

26nikita wrote:

Meredith, his dad's address was not too far from Lake of the Hills....It was Algonquin. Have you heard of it?

Yeah it's right next to Lake in the Hills, still McHenry county. If anything, skinny boy will turn up in the McHenry County shelter system (most likely anyway)

I think we all understand your frustrations are with the rescues themselves, not with the fact that you expect to find a dog right away (though it would be nice). I really hope you have good luck, and I, for one, will support you whatever you wind up doing.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting frustrated trying to adopt   Getting frustrated trying to adopt - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting frustrated trying to adopt

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next