It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Blaze started about 3 weeks ago we would brush him day and it never seem to stop. Last Friday I took him to the groomer he isn't blowing much now but he looks really skinny on the hind legs..

Kerian hasn't blown her coat in fact it getting fuller all the time I kind of think she had blown it before we got her.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 5:14 pm

I think Saphire is just starting. This will be our first "blow" since she was born in February. I'm prepared. I just said to my daughter at lunch today that Saphire needs brushed tonight. Just starting to notice though, ran my hand down her back and pulled back quite a bit. Should I just brush everyday? Any recommendations for a first timer?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 5:29 pm

dbingham12 wrote:
Should I just brush everyday? Any recommendations for a first timer?
how sane do you want to stay? i go crazy brushing every day and it looking like i did nothing a few hrs later! i let it build up for a few days till its ready to pick then i go to town for like 30 min and repeat 2 days later. now it depends on the coat as well, Jack gets the tuffs to pick, sierra just sheds with few clumps. sierra i can brush every day and not go mad because she always looks the same. i also give up on vacuuming everyday and just pick up the clumps of fur bunnies when they blow past me, and vacuum when i can. good luck!

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 8:55 pm

If your willing to spend a half hour SLOWLY combing, I find that this comb gets the majority out at once and there is less daily hair flying around. After using this comb on Willow a neighbor thought I had sent her to the groomers for a haircut!

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 Cb97465e

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Asia is about a week into blowing her FIRST coat affraid I brush, brush, brush, brush and it's like I did nothing! The only evidence is that it looks like it snowed in the yard! She looks so much thinner from all of that hair being gone though. I brush her every 3 days or so because doing it everyday makes no difference really. Mya is also starting to blow on her hind legs. Kody, not yet.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:41 am

Sabaka is taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r!! I had friends over last weekend and I had to give them a "heads up" that they will have fur all over them, they will most likely eat at least one dog hair and it is impossible to keep the hair tufts cleaned up in the in the hallway!

Actually, I had to explain to them that Sabaka does not actually have tumors on his haunches but rather clumps of fur that is refusing to turn loose!! I have people looking at him with pity as I walk him or have him out in public. They must think he is dying of cancerous tumor or something! I took a pic. I'll have to post it when it's not so late and I can find my camera.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 8:18 am

SabakaMom wrote:
Sabaka is taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r!! I had friends over last weekend and I had to give them a "heads up" that they will have fur all over them, they will most likely eat at least one dog hair and it is impossible to keep the hair tufts cleaned up in the in the hallway!

Actually, I had to explain to them that Sabaka does not actually have tumors on his haunches but rather clumps of fur that is refusing to turn loose!! I have people looking at him with pity as I walk him or have him out in public. They must think he is dying of cancerous tumor or something! I took a pic. I'll have to post it when it's not so late and I can find my camera.

I always thought Dakota looked like he had Mange!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:05 am

Balon is 5 1/2 months I can see some hair coming out but more like strands. When will he blow his first coat, is he too young?

The lab meanwhile sheds on lol.
Back to top Go down
Treesa
Newborn
Newborn
Treesa

Female Join date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:09 am

@Balonsmom - I was wondering the same thing.

Sasha is only 3 months old, so I was wondering if she was going to blow her coat, or do I get lucky this year ?! lol
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 am

Balon will probably start soon. Saphire is about the same age and is beginning slowly but starting none the less. No idea with Sasha. I would assume she will also as I don't think it has to do with age but with season. Hey at least I know I am not alone on the first time thing.

As for the brushing tips. Thanks for the advice. I'm just gonna play it by ear and see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:58 am

3 months is pretty early for a coat blow - I would expect you will get a pass until next time around.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Nicky is almost 5 month's old and thankfully isn't blowing. She shed's a few hair's here and there, but nothing compared to Hayden's clumps! I think I'll get away with it this time, but I have a feeling come spring I'm gonna be in for double clump's between the two of them.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Tika skipped her should have been first two coat blows. It's normal with a young-in.

We got a late blow mid or the end of the spring instead of the FEB-MAR one everyone else seemed to get and are working her normal one now.

~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn
Treesa

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 12:44 pm

woo-hoo !! lol Thanks everyone !
Back to top Go down
Treesa
Newborn
Newborn
Treesa

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:20 am

Since I posted this the other day, I can now see that she is definitely shedding more hair, but certainly no where near a "blow", not yet anyway ! I am still hoping for a pass this first year !! wish me luck Wink
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:29 am

maggie is shedding but not blowing...Its lovely in the car trip. lol
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Balon is losing hairs, nothing major, I have to assume at 5 1/2 months maybe I won't get a major blow until Spring Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Ginger and Storm hasn't stopped shedding since they blew their coat - it's just been a long, hot summer that they probably will keep on shedding out through the rest of Summer and into Fall! It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 1625187496

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Biko just finished a major blow about 2 weeks ago and now he is OMG soft, you would swear he soaked in fabric softener for an hour.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:56 pm

Both of mine have been shedding like hell since May. Koda sheds like a monster for 3+ months. Rogue appears to not be any better!

I think my two initiated your dogs shedding, Claudia. They just started when they visited me!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 am

Last week Embry had his first "real" coat blow. It was horrible. He dropped down to 47lbs too during it! He was a skeletor.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Indy just started his first coat blow!
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Female Join date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 3:23 pm

Rue at 5 months has started shedding, I've started to notice the dust bunnies around. Hopefully it's not a blow, it's very small clumps and hopefully I can get a pass until next year on a real blow Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:40 am

I was not aware they had this much fur and it comes out so much at once!

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 386844_129224900555700_1637072868_n- really gettin bad!
It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 558249_129224643889059_1008702599_n- the end of brushing for today.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:43 am

At this point, they wrestle so much in the living room and office that it just all collects on the area rugs in those rooms and I just vacuum a million times a day. Uhggg.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!   It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's that time of year! coat blowing season is on!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next