It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fun - Husky names background info

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

Fun - Husky names background info Empty
PostSubject: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Thought it might be fun to post our pups names with their meaning and origin. Here's mine.

Mikko - Who is like God? Origin is Scandinavian. Alternate Michael.
Sebo - Revered. Origin is Hungarian. Alternate Sebastian.
Blaze - Stuttering. Origin is Latin. Alternate is Blaise.
Topaz - Orange topaz, also known as precious topaz, is the traditional November birthstone, the symbol of friendship, and the state gemstone of the US state of Utah.

Last edited by Lordbroll on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Kale- "free man" origin Hawaiian.
Violet- "Color violet, flower" Origin Latin

And just for fun i'll do my kitties Very Happy

Tabitha- "gazelle" origin Aramaic.
Dusty- "Full of dust" (LOL TOO TRUE) Form of Dustin. Origin English.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Thor was already named when I got him. No clue why he was named Thor, he was named by a 17 yr old. But I do know it was before the movie.

I named my GSD
Nero Thaddeus
First I named him Thaddeus but people were having issues pronouncing it so I changed it to Nero Thaddues

Nero - Crazy Roman Emperor
Thaddeus - brave heart
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 4:42 pm

iceblulady wrote:
Thor was already named when I got him. No clue why he was named Thor, he was named by a 17 yr old. But I do know it was before the movie.

It's common but for those that may not know.

Thor - God of thunder, Norse.
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
iceblulady wrote:

I knew who Thor was but no clue why he would name him that. He does not seem like a Thor.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 4:51 pm

iceblulady wrote:
Lordbroll wrote:
iceblulady wrote:

I knew who Thor was but no clue why he would name him that. He does not seem like a Thor.

Most people know I'm sure. I didn't name any of mine but thought it would make a neat thread to see the origin of the names. Some may know (especially if you named them) already but I didn't.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Kody - "helpful" Origin is English
Mya - "uncertain" (ain't that the truth..lol) origin is Greek

This is cool! Never thought about looking up their names meaning!
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Dante-It is of Latin origin, meaning lasting, enduring, steadfast.
Jezebel- Derived from the Hebrew 'īzebhel meaning impure, wicked(amen)
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Dakota - originally when I looked her name up before getting her, I could've sworn it meant little girl, but I can't find that anywhere now. It does mean friend/ally, Native American

Demon - means the people in Ancient Greek, but really we named him because he looked so much like the dog in Snow Dogs when he was a little guy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Sioux - It's a Native American (see that pc awareness?) thing. His name was Snow and we were also on a Johnny Cash trip at the time. So far all of my male mals have had Indian names. That was just keeping with the tradition.

Coco - That's the name she came with and her response was such that changing it made no sense. Her papers have her listed as Jennifer's Coco Puff or something like that.

Ridik - Some movie I've never seen.

Tambi - Not sure about that. Lindsay probably knows since her mom named her.

Limbaugh - A different spelling of a town in Germany that a notable radio host's grandparents came from.

C - Third letter of the alphabet, and our third cat.

D - Fourth letter of the alphabet, and fourth cat.

My dogs' names don't have cool origin info.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 6:27 pm

harrise wrote:
Her papers have her listed as Jennifer's Coco Puff or something like that.

she is my coco puff Smile

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Sierra's papers have her called cinnamon stick Rolling Eyes im guessing from her color???? her mother was named Sierra so the people who rescued her the first time renamed her after her mom.
Sierra-It is of Spanish origin, and the meaning of Sierra is "saw", also found meaning to be Mountain range (maybe thats why she is so happy in the mountains)

Jack came to us named Nanook- he paid no attention to that name so on the drive home we were just naming off names and Jack popped into my head he kind of looked at me when i said that so we kept it Smile
Jack- It is of Old English origin. Name based on John (Hebrew) "God is gracious"

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 6:41 pm

We dislike naming living things, so our children and pets often remain nameless for long periods of time.

Our fist husky was named "Sandy", first of all because we were living near the Historic Sandusky House in an area of town known as Sandusky, we began making fun of our nameless "Sandusky Husky". Then it clicked... she IS a sandy color and Sandy is a nice name! (We still occasionally called her Sandusky but that was really not her official name - not that she had an "official" name since she had no papers!")

"Sabaka" is the Americanization of the Russian word for dog, собака.

Like our first husky, our cat is named "Smokey" first because she arrived at our house on Smokey Hollow as a stray and secondly because she is a smoky gray color.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 6:46 pm

harrise wrote:

C - Third letter of the alphabet, and our third cat.

D - Fourth letter of the alphabet, and fourth cat.

lol! That's cool!
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Neo means "New" in English, or " gift" on Africa. Really he was just named after the Matrix lol.

Jackson means " jacks son" ....... figure that out.
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Stormy because he was the only gray in a litter of red. His official is Huskavarna's Eye of the Storm. I also found this...
Quote :
In English, the name Storm means- Tempest..
Other origins for the name Storm include - English, American.The
name Storm is a unisex name and can be used for a boy or girl name (male
or female).

Sollie is short for Solstice. She is the sun to his Storm. Her official name is Huskavarna's Autumn Solstice. And this...
Quote :
In Greek, the name Solstice means- sun exposure.
The name Solstice orginated as an Greek name. The name Solstice is most often used as a girl name or female name.

My cat is named Blink after Blink 182...don't ask.

My old cat was named DeOgee.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 7:57 pm

henielsen wrote:
My cat is named Blink after Blink 182...don't ask.

Does he play guitar? I know don't ask.....
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 7:59 pm

jocolor Not well. But he does play a mean harmonica.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:39 pm

Neo means "New" in English, or " gift" on Africa. Really he was just named after the Matrix lol.

Jackson means " jacks son" ....... figure that out.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 pm

Months of agonizing over cool names for both the dogs - and they were named in minutes (with different names than we chose!) after meeting them.

Chili - because he's just so darn "chill" and laid back. I was joking when I suggested "Chill-ee" to hubby and he loved it. It suits him!

Frosti - same thing - picked out a name but ended up taking home a different dog! Smile She looks like an arctic wolf - so a quick iphone google search for snow dog names brought up Frost and a host of other names. Hubby and I agreed on Frosty - and then changed it to Frosti on the way home so it matched with Chili. Smile Not a cool or sophisticated name - but it's cute and so is she!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:02 pm

I didn't say why we named them their names. Oops. Mya we named after Maya in SnowDogs (real original, huh?) and for Kody it took 2min of us throwing names around. Hubby said he looks like a Kody and I agreed. That was that.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:20 pm

MelissaI wrote:
I didn't say why we named them their names. Oops. Mya we named after Maya in SnowDogs (real original, huh?)

At least I'm not alone in that! lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Demon&amp;Dakota wrote:
MelissaI wrote:
I didn't say why we named them their names. Oops. Mya we named after Maya in SnowDogs (real original, huh?)

At least I'm not alone in that! lol

lol! That's right! You said you named Demon after Demon! Demon was one of my favorites in the movie too Smile
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Dakota - I was interested in Indian heritage - Means "friend" in the Dakota language

Willow - It sounded like an Indian name... - From the name of the tree, which is ultimately derived from Old English welig.

Piper - I just liked the sound of it. - From a surname which was originally given to a person who played on a pipe (a flute). English

Cheyenne (cat) - Indian heritage thing again... - Derived from the Dakota word shahiyena meaning "unintelligible speakers"

Tana (cat) - short for Montana - It's my dream to live in the mountains of Montana - Latin for montanus "mountainous

My user name is after a shelter dog I had very briefly in my early 20's. Sad She was very dog and food aggressive. Colton was very young and I was not confident she wouldn't turn on him so I found her a home with my dads friend. I like to remember her by using her name as my user name. It's Russian.

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Mine came with their names and we didn't bother to change them.

Gingersnap - cookie, that goes well with blue cheese! aka Ginger - a key ingredient I love when making Asian cuisine; also an ingredient used to help with vertigo, something I battle on occasion!

Storm - at first he was more of a 'Bubba' instead, but now that he's at normal weight, he's Bubbie because he has a new spring in his step and his personality is so much more 'bubbly'!

Razz

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info Empty

Back to top Go down

Fun - Husky names background info

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next