It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fun - Husky names background info

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
amynbebes
Newborn
Newborn
amynbebes

Female Join date : 2012-03-26

Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Jake was named Whiskey by the pound and just ummm, no lol. So, I'm admittedly a twilight fan and he just had this knowing look in his eyes so I named him Jake after the character Jacob.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Merged topic with existing Smile

Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Origin of the Name Axel
Hebrew

Meaning of the Name Axel
The name Axel is a Scandinavian form of Absalom.

Meaning of the Name Absalom
The name Absalom comes from the Hebrew name Avshalom meaning "father of peace" or "father is peace". In the Old Testament Absalom was the favorite son of King David and was praised for his great beauty and abundant hair.

yepp sounds like Ax alright haha
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 2:26 pm

amynbebes wrote:
Jake was named Whiskey by the pound and just ummm, no lol. So, I'm admittedly a twilight fan and he just had this knowing look in his eyes so I named him Jake after the character Jacob.

<----loves twilight too shhh
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Kiara - clear, bright, famous. Italian/Latin
The dark one.

I didn't know the meaning when I choose it. Just went through every girl names web site on the planet and clicked on Disney girl names.

Kiara is from lion king 2.
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Female Join date : 2012-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Snow... well... means Snow. *sigh* My husband named her.... I prefer Sable but he won't budge on the name. I would have chosen that or Bella. I'm a HUGE twilight fan.

Does Snow mean anything other than Snow? Doubtful.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 2:28 pm

I must have missed this the first time around, and then again the second time around....

I'm aware a couple of people know already but Tika is a loving, strong willed, female warrior from a series of books set in the D&D campaign of Dragonlance.

It just seemed like her characteristics fit the Husky breed so well... And it was a name Kelly and I could both finally agree upon for once....

Tika Waylan

Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 Tika_w10

We were planning on naming our Husky Tika regardless, but her being a red when we got her just confirmed it. Her colors have changed quite a bit but she still has that deep copper red on her head, so it works really well Razz.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
ToccoasMom
Puppy
Puppy
ToccoasMom

Female Join date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Toccoa is named after the Toccoa River in Georgia. The river fills the lake we spend our family vacation on every year. It's sentimental Smile
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 3:03 pm

I only named 5 of my dogs; the rest came with their names and I liked them so i kept them.

Ellie (GSD): Elanor Rigby (huge Beatles fan here!)

Maggie (Labrador): Winchester Magnum

Jazz (Eurohound): I like some Jazz music and I just really like the name Jazz for a dog....lol

Dixie (Beagle): I'm not really sure why I chose 'Dixie'. I guess I just thought of it and it sounded right so I used it! lol

Sydney (Alaskan Husky): I have always wanted to visit Australia and one of my favorite singers, Keith Urban, was born in Australia so it seemed appropriate to name her after the capitol. Smile

And I'll do the kitties. Smile

Oliver: Oliver and Company

Casper: She has really cool and unusual markings so, for some reason, the name Casper sounded right.

Rue: HUNGER GAMES! WIN

The kittens:

Cato: Same reason as Rue! I didn't really want to name him after a bad character but Peeta just didn't sound right for him...

Pippn: Lord of the Rings fan!!!

Po: He's named after a favorite male lead character in the Graceling trilogy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Maggie May named after the Rod Stewart song. Smile
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Ours is Qannik, which means snowflake in Inuit.
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Female Join date : 2012-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 3:20 pm

djannitto wrote:
Ours is Qannik, which means snowflake in Inuit.

That's funny... our baby is Snowflake and she looks like your baby! I sent you a friend request days ago btw Smile
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 3:23 pm

I don't think I ever did this:

Kya: Princess, Queen, Warrior, goddess. Different languages mean different thing. Kya is an african goddess, meaning diamond in the sky.

Rio: Just means river. lol

Kizmit: Meant to be in swedish

Pingo: little devil in spanish

Drama (andromeda): A greek goddess. She was a princess that was chained to a rock as sacrifice to a sea dragon until she was rescued by perseus, and then made a goddess.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Mickey:
Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 Ss_MichelobUltra lol!
Yeah, we named him after beer.

Cheyenne was named after Rebas daughter in her show. I LOVE that show. I kept the name spelled as it originally should be. It's actually the name of a tribe.

Mishka is not named because of the Husky on Youtube. I hate when people say that! LOL I wanted Ashka (her name was actually originally Kissenia) but everyone kept ignoring what I said. Finally we all settled on Mishka.

Odin is named Odin mostly because of comic books and i'm a huge comic book nerd. Odin is a Norse God with sons Thor and Loki.

Rodeo/ Loki: Yeah he has 2 names. lol Rodeo kind of just came to me while I was at animal control. It has no real meaning but I will often sing the country song "little red rodeo" to him. He also goes by Loki sometimes- who is the Asgardian God of Mischief (yay comic books!)

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 4:09 pm

arooroomom wrote:

Cheyenne was named after Rebas daughter in her show. I LOVE that show. I kept the name spelled as it originally should be. It's actually the name of a tribe.

YAY for Reba! I loved her show, her and all of her endevours. Kya's name was supposed to be Reba, but my gf threw a FIT! lol
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Tiff&amp;Kya wrote:
arooroomom wrote:

YAY for Reba! I loved her show, her and all of her endevours. Kya's name was supposed to be Reba, but my gf threw a FIT! lol

If we try the Border Collie route again I want a red and white female named Reba Wink

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Mickey:
Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 Ss_MichelobUltra lol!
Yeah, we named him after beer.

lol! That's awesome..haha.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Haven't done this for Asia. In it's Greek origin Asia means "sunrise". That so fits her sunny

Now as far as how we came up with their names:

Mya: We were so original that we named her after Maya from Snow Dogs Rolling Eyes
Kody: Hubby just said "he looks like a Kody", I said "omg, yes!"...there you go ..lol
Asia: Hubby has always wanted to name his daughter Asia. Been saying this for years! So when we decided to keep her I said "let's name her Asia" and he agreed. That got me out of naming a daughter Asia. If we were to ever have one that is. I LOVE the name for a dog, but not a kid Razz
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Lab--Ruby--because she is our gem, and she has a reddish tint when in the sun!
Balon--Balon Greyjoy after a character in Game of Thrones, he is a bad guy which originally I didn't like but sons insisted, and I guess Balon will always take the iron price Very Happy
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Robyn, I'm sorry about not responding to your friend request. Not sure what it is and where to find it!
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Oh wow....I just realized that I posted in this thread twice thinking there were two different threads. This is the result of staying up late and having no coffee... -_-
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 8:18 pm

I don't know if I ever posted in this thread so if I did I'm sorry for the repeat.

Faolan - I wasn't able to come up with a name for him just thinking about it so I went online to a name database which lists names from all over the world and their meanings. I came across Faolan, which is Irish and means "little wolf" and it just fit him perfectly!

Legend came with his name. He comes from a line of dogs in which either his father's name is Kralimar or some ancestor somewhere back a few generations was Kralimar, can't remember which, but his breeder named his entire litter as ______ of Kralimar. So, there was Magic of Kralimar, Spirit of Kralimar, Valor of Kralimar, etc, and my boy Legend of Kralimar. I just kept his name and shortened it to plain ol' Legend.

I'll do my cats too just because one has a fun story.

Jaylan is a rescue and came with her name.

Lucky actually has a story as to WHY he is lucky. My dad was driving my brother and sister to school one morning, and he was in the drop off line and he kept hearing a weird noise coming from the engine. He had the radio on so he couldn't hear it clearly at first, so he turned down the radio and sat there quietly, listening for the noise. It was a cat meowing! He immediately shut the car off and popped the hood, and sure enough when he lifted the hood of the car there was a little kitten sitting on the battery in the engine. He sent my brother and sister inside, then he picked the kitten up, which resulted in an armful of scratches and a bitten thumb. He tossed the kitten inside the car and drove home and spent about an hour in the driveway trying to coax the kitten out from under the front passenger seat of the car. The kitten refused to come out at first, but as soon as my dad stepped back he leaped out of the car and ran into the garage and hid, where he stayed for about a week until I came home to visit. My dad had been feeding him and giving him water in the hopes he'd warm up to them and come out of hiding, but no success in that week before I arrived. They told me I'm welcome to try and catch him if I can, and so I went out with a pair of gardening gloves and chased him around the garage until I managed to catch him. I took him to the vet and they told me he was between 6 and 8 weeks old. Well, that was that, he's mine now and forever. Smile Lucky is actually what my dad was calling him while he was hiding in the garage. I decided to keep it, because then I have an excuse to tell his story. Actually, if he had been a girl I would have renamed him, but that's only because Lucky is a boy name to me.

Balonsmom wrote:

Balon--Balon Greyjoy after a character in Game of Thrones, he is a bad guy which originally I didn't like but sons insisted, and I guess Balon will always take the iron price Very Happy

Game of Thrones FTW! If Lucky had been a girl I would have named him Arya Razz
Back to top Go down
judalina
Puppy
Puppy
judalina

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 8:34 pm

my dad named rocky after rocky balboa...i love all the twilight inspired names Smile once we were watching twilight new moon and rocky was playing in the living room while we were watching the movie and the part where jacob and his crew all turn into werewolves comes on and my dad was like "rocky! calm down, watch your brothers" it was pretty funny.
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 10:19 pm

We got our Phantom from a shelter when she was 3 years old and already named Phantom. We *assumed* she knew it... but it turned out she didn't. We kept it regardless as I'm a MAJOR Phantom of the Opera fan, and we decided it was fate.

Although, it's a kind of masculine name and we generally call her Phanny or Phanny Packs. ha.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Koda- it's Hakoda from the cartoon Avatar.
Rogue- X-men.

Pretty simple, haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fun - Husky names background info

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next