It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fun - Husky names background info

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptySun May 27, 2012 7:09 pm

I am adding information on the name of our new dog the rescue. Kerianseray she was named after the character the dragonlance book "The Lioness"

Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 200px-10
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptySun May 27, 2012 7:11 pm

ljelgin wrote:
I am adding information on the name of our new dog the rescue. Kerianseray she was named after the character the dragonlance book "The Lioness"

Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 200px-10

A kid at my preschool is named Raistlin! Got my excited, haha.
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptySun May 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Kaiser is our newest. His name means "emperor" in German. Its the German form of Caesar.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptySun May 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Goober was from a breeder in north florida. His registered name is Chief something..we called him Goober from the moment my husband brought him home to me at 12 weeks old.

Mia was named after the disney movie The Princess Diaries.
Its an Italian name meaning 'Mine'

Snow came to us as some ridiculous name that I cant recall right now...We renamed her Snow because she was Snow White after her first bath with us. We are big on disney themed names here haha

Finnick came to us as Ali...that sounded too girlie for me and he didnt respond to it at all. Therefore..because i'm a Hunger Games nerd he was named after Finnick Odair.

Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptySun May 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Khuno - In Aymara mythology, Khuno is the god of snowstorms.

This name was chosen because Khuno is all white with the most frosty blue eyes you could imagine Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptySun May 27, 2012 11:13 pm

Axel, after Axel Rose (Guns & Roses).
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 2:54 am

Colby- after my childhood best friend who passed away in 08'

Jinx- my nickname as a teenager because i got in alot of car accidents after i got my licence.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:44 am

Delilah - came to us with here name, but we loved it and it really stuck. We sing the song to her of course. There is also the Hebrew meaning and biblical references. It means weak or poor, but it implies the temptress who betrayed Sampson.

Cato - we were just joking around and we really thinking about naming him Leonidus, Leo for short, but then Chris was like Jesse that's so long let's just name him Cato, like the evil guy from the hunger games because he's gonna be big and tough..yeah this puppy is a big baby and he loves attention. Cato is also Latin for all knowing,

The cats:

Binks- after Zachary Binks from hocus pocus. He came with his name but I'm pretty sure he is my little heart cat and was meant for me,

Stewart (stewie) - my fiancé chose his name becaus sour names are Chris and Meg, he said we needed a stewie so it would be just like family guy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Bandits Mum
Newborn
Newborn
Bandits Mum

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 2:56 pm

I chose Bandit cos of his mask, he just looked like a Bandit to me. On researching his name I found this...

*Many Bandits are very independent and may be difficult to train. They can be dominant but will respond to training well if given the opportunity. They can be very smart and have high dog IQ's.*
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Thane -> Personally I liked how the name sounded and that it's not a name you hear much. Upon further research the meanings behind the name are:

Scandinavian and Anglo-Saxon term used to describe either a high-ranking nobleman or a class of retainer.

The name may also be derived from Thanatos, the Greek god of death (as well as the Greek word for death) as well as the namesake of the "death drive" in post-Freudian thought.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:23 pm

haha i love all the hunger games names Smile

Keaton always says that he wishes I read the hunger games sooner, and that I named Zoey, Katniss..
Back to top Go down
KaylaNL
Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

Female Join date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Blitz - We are both big football fans and I wanted to somehow get a Steeler name in with him and since we are called "Blitzburgh" I figured I could hide my motive with just a general football word of "Blitz". I only told my husband the true meaning after a few months so he couldn't change it! Smile

Bullet - My husband's grandfather's favorite western had the dog named Bullet so he wanted to name him after that.

Diesel - Named after one of the dogs in the movie Snow Dogs.
Back to top Go down
Lash Mac
Newborn
Newborn
Lash Mac

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 10:44 am

Koda - native american meaning 'friend', also its the name of the young cub in Disney 'brother bear' and also there are a group of island off the Alaska cost called the 'Kodiak islands'.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 11:01 am

ShawnaAD wrote:

Finnick came to us as Ali...that sounded too girlie for me and he didnt respond to it at all. Therefore..because i'm a Hunger Games nerd he was named after Finnick Odair.

I LOVE Finnick, it was a needless death! I cried like a baby.

FREYA

USAGE: Norse Mythology
PRONOUNCED: FRAY-ah
Meaning & History
From Old Norse Freyja meaning "lady". This is the name of the goddess of love and beauty in Norse mythology.

I always had the name Freya stuck in my head, always. Anything that needed a name was called Freya and then my little girl came along and it just fits like no other.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Jupiter
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 3:04 pm

"Taavetti" is the Finish form of "David", which means "Beloved". He was formerly known as "Buddy" (which we, occasionally, continue to call him).

"Uri" is Hebrew for "Flame" or "Light". He was formerly known as "Chico".

"Noni" is Afrikaans for "Gift of God". He was formerly known as "Popeye".

"Liani" means "Bringer of Peace, Hope". She was formerly known as "Shaylee".

"Buberry" is a variant of the "edible berrry of blue color". He was formerly known as "Spot".
Back to top Go down
http://lianiofthevalley.webs.com/
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Updated OP with

Topaz - Orange topaz, also known as precious topaz, is the traditional November birthstone, the symbol of friendship, and the state gemstone of the US state of Utah.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Bode was named after Bode Miller, the Olympic skier. I am a ski racer and it's a winter sport, which is a no brained with a husky.

Out cat Myles is named after Myles Kennedy, the lead singer of Alter Bridge and also is Slash's new band's singer.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:33 pm

Juneau is named after the capital of Alaska, Juneau. I looked it up and it means "Young". Yep, she's young! Definitely acts like it lol.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Okay here goes . . .

Saphire is named after my birthstone (with one p so as not to be confused though) and the sapphire is the symbol of loyalty and fidelity

Our oldest cat Daphne is named after the Scooby Doo character. Its Greek and is after the nymph turned into the Laurel tree

Our younges cat's name is Macy because she was born in May. Its old French and means weapon.
Back to top Go down
mellard
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Oakley was named after my favorite brand of sunglasses but in further research it stems back to old English meaning meadow of oak trees. He reacted to this name more than any other name we had picked out.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 7:51 pm

I love reading this thread, thanks to all for participating!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Titus
He is really arrogant and proud even when he was a pup. Will not do anything that he does not want to even if you lure him with food. To me he is like a prince. Titus is an old Roman name which means "to honor". It is also associated with the meaning "defender".

Lycan
So smart sometimes you might think he's a man. Lycan means werewolf or wolf-like, also known as a lycanthrope which origins from the Greek : , lukos, "wolf".
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:40 am

Loki named after the Norse god of mischief we never saw the Thor movies.
Back to top Go down
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 1:22 am

We were originally going to name her Sói which is Vietnamese for wolf, but we didn't want people having issues with pronunciation so we named her Luna after the Roman goddess personifying the moon, and it's short for Lunatic Razz
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

Female Join date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 5:21 am

Trillion: A trilliant cut is a type of gemstone cut, which is triangular, as the name suggests. It is sometimes mistakenly called trillion, or trillian. The cut comes in two different variations, with curved and uncurved sides. In addition to side variations, the top surface of the cut also varies.

We actualy named Trillion because We said she was the perfect dog for us and she was even worth a Trillion bucks!
then later people kept saying she was so sharp (smart) she must have been named after the Diamond cut.

Our next Husky/Mals are going to be named Lewis and Clark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fun - Husky names background info

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next