It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fun - Husky names background info

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Khaleesi
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-10-21

Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 5:46 am

Love the HBO series Game of Thrones, sooooo I Decided to name our lovely pup Khaleesi.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 am

Korra was kind of an accident, we had a bunch of names and that one stuck.

Last edited by Dot on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Anubis is the Egyptian God of of the dead/underworld.
I picked this name because I´m very interested in Egyptian history and mythology.
Back to top Go down
frontz
Newborn
Newborn
frontz

Female Join date : 2012-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Roo - as in Kangaroo. She has big ears like a kangaroo.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Nanook came with his name. I would have changed it something less cliche, but he was already freaked out about transitioning to our home/family and I didn't have the heart to change that too.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Bodhi had a different name, that of a serial killer, when we rehomed him.
It's short for Bodhisattva in Buddhism.
His name means "seeker of enlightenment."
His other nicknames are "Mr. B," "Bods," or when he's bad, "Bodhi-satt-va," emphasizing all the syllables.
Back to top Go down
SolitaryHowl
Puppy
Puppy
SolitaryHowl

Female Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Suka came with his name. I didn't like it at first, but it eventually grew on me.
I had wanted to change it to Apache or Bishop...but now I can't see him with another name.

I looked it up, and apparently Suka means 'fast' in Inhuit...but it also means 'bitch' in Russian or something.
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Denali - named after the highest mountain in North America, its orginal name until the white man saw it.

Kodiak - named after the island in Alaska

My wife and I went to Alaska on our honeymoon and since then we have given all our pets Alaskan names.
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Keno- well I had a whole list of names, and I was looking up Alaskan areas and found Kenai. But to me it sounded more female, the -a at the end I think. So being the smart person I am (lol) I thought, I'll just add an -o to the end instead and formed Keno. I was not aware it was a game until my husband informed me after I told him I had decided on a name

Koozie- this was all my husband's doing. We were cuddling with Izzy waiting for the e-mail from the breeder letting us know the pups were born and he just said, I'm going to name him Koozie. He is an avid beer drinker and uses a koozie quite often, but I would have never thought of the name.

Klutch- I wasn't looking for another K name, but Brian said he wanted to stick with the K theme for the huskies, so we had to find a name that didn't sound similar to the others and we like unique names. We made a list, I think included on that list were; Kevlar, Kubota, Knox, Koen, Korbin. Then the night before I was just thinking out loud and Klutch came out of my mouth and me and husband looked at each other and it was just perfect.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 11:29 pm

Lycus- or Lykos is the Greeek meaning for "wolf." It's also the name of several different people in Greek Mythology.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 11:53 pm

Ares was named after Ares from Marvel Comics
Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 Aresherc
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 3:38 am

Ezio is derived from the Latin word for "eagle". My husband chose it from the video game Assassin's Creed the day we got him. I think it fits pretty well. Regal sounding name for a beautiful dog. Also he's in love with birds. Razz
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Danzig - is named Danzig because I've always named my animals after punk bands. It's Danzig for Glenn Danzig who used to be the lead singer of The Misfits but is now on his own in the band Danzig. My dog is pretty dark and not really sweet so it fits him. I also found this:

Jewish (Ashkenazic): habitational name from Danzig, German name of Gdańsk, the main port of Poland, on the Baltic Sea. The wide distribution of the name from an early date suggests that in many cases it may have been acquired by merchants who traded with the city, as well as those who were actually born there.

Wyatt - he was already named this when Dustin got him. It is for Wyatt Earp and his brother's name was Doc Holiday.

Comet - My rabbit was named this by a 7 year old, so who knows what it means. He is white so maybe it's for the bleach. I usually call him Metty for short.

Mike Ness - I named my turtle this for the lead singer of Social Distortion. I listened to them a lot back then.
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Took a month or so but I finally named him

Anakin- Named after Anakin Skywalker/aka Darth Vader.
Yeah, I'm sure I'll be guilty of making lots of jedi/ padawan jokes while training him.
lol!
Back to top Go down
yinnyang
Teenager
Teenager
yinnyang

Female Join date : 2012-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 9:17 pm

Yuki comes from my favorite anime, Fruits-Basket.

However; I chose his name from a quote, not a character:

Kana: What does snow become what it melts?
Hatori: Water, of course.
Kana: BZZZZZZZZZZ Wrong! It becomes spring!
(Something along those lines)

Anyway. Since Yuki means snow, and that quote always meaning a lot to me..
I feel like he is a new beginning sort of ^^//
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 9:36 pm

yinnyang wrote:

Very good anime, and nice meaning behind the name.
Back to top Go down
itsjosieb
Teenager
Teenager
itsjosieb

Female Join date : 2012-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 9:36 pm

yinnyang wrote:

Fruits Basket is one of my favorites too!!
Back to top Go down
yinnyang
Teenager
Teenager
yinnyang

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Thank you Smile
I wished they'd make a second season D:
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Finding a name is in my opinion a very important step. Something that can go with the pup for years and years. Anime was a big help but most of them just didn't seem to stand out for me. Is that Yuki in your default pic?
Back to top Go down
yinnyang
Teenager
Teenager
yinnyang

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 10:46 pm

Agreed. Yes it is him. I'll be getting a new picture tonight Smile
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 10:54 pm

My sister and I love fruits basket too!

Maya's name came from an anime that I don't remember, I really liked the sound of that name. So I had decided that the next female animal we get will be named Maya.
Sophie's name was Saphira but I don't like calling out long names so I shortened it to Sophie. Then the name Sophie just kinda stuck.
Kay came with her name and that's what I had been calling her before we got her. So it kinda stuck in my mind and seems to suit her. My mom, dad and brother all call her Kayla which is what my mom elongated Kay's name to.
Back to top Go down
yinnyang
Teenager
Teenager
yinnyang

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Yeah I'm a sucker for cute names with good meanings usually. When Yuki is a year old I'll get him a mate named Sora.

Btw Abby your doggies are so cute!!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 11:09 pm

Hehe thanks, I have lots of pics in their scrapbook if you want to look. I add pics a lot since I take a lot. Sora is such a cute name, from kingdom hearts right?
Back to top Go down
yinnyang
Teenager
Teenager
yinnyang

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 11:13 pm

I'll definitely take a look Very Happy.

Yup it is, plus it means Sky. I was going to make the official name Kuroi Sora, but just call her Sora. Meaning black sky haha. Long names are to much, and my parents always say them wrong.

Where from Ohio are you from, if you don't mind my asking ;O
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 11:15 pm

I'm in the Dayton area. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fun - Husky names background info

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next