It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fun - Husky names background info

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
CaptainMorgan
Puppy
Puppy
CaptainMorgan

Female Join date : 2013-01-12

Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 5:25 am

I plan to call him Malfoy, it had more a ring to it than Draco but his registered name, I am still thinking but so far I like how Morgan's Own Draco Malfoy sounds. My mother who has a registered Chihauhau told me that his registered name needed to be something more 'obnoxious' than just Malfoy. I believe Piper's full was Jacki's Precious Piper Lily.

Assuming I go with that his name translates to this
1.) In ancient Greek days, Draco was a cruel Athenian lawmaker. That's how we get the expression "draconian laws", meaning unnecessarily harsh laws. Also, 'Mal foi' means 'bad faith' in French.

2.) Draco in Latin means "Snake" or "Dragon" both of which are very devious creatures - A Dragon (in mythology) lulls you with it's voice so you'll tell it any thing and it will usually extract important secrets from you. Snakes - A serpent is the Slytherin mascot and snakes were evil and cunning creatures - A basilisk is a snake and it's very deadly.

Malfoy can also be translated to malfeasance which is defined as wrong doing or misconduct especially by a public official.

... Neutral I hope he does not live up to his name.
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 12:42 am

dragonthewhitedread wrote:
I named Dragon sort of after the Game of Thrones books. I originally wanted to name him Balerion the White Dread lol (Danaerys Targaryen's family had dragons and her fathers huge black dragon was named that. He was very formidable and no one could go against him or Aerys her father) anyway I decided It was too much of an inside joke and no one would know the context so I settled on dragon.

Man....I would have gotten the refernce...I'm a bit of a Game of Thrones junkie study

Anyways, the two dogs I can claim to be mine (although only one lives with me currently) are named

Bailey- While he was originally my older sister's dog he was passed on to me when she hit her teens and decided she was too cool for him. He's a 12 year old Cocker Spaniel. He is named after Bailey...Salinger?...from Party of Five. Don't ask me why, nobody in the family really remembers how the name got form point A to point B.

Vegeta- My little pup is named after Vegeta from Dragonball Z, a favorite cartoon of mine from childhood. He was my favorite character and I knew before I even met my little guy that his name was going to be Vegeta. Apparently my pup was the bully of the litter so it fits with the prideful bully that Vegeta in the show was. Ironically enough Vegeta originally comes from VEGETAble
Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 1:35 am

Murphy was named after beer! My fiancee's favorite beer is Murphy's Stout. Her registered name is Goggin's Chilled Irish Red.

Back to top Go down
GalacticPup
Puppy
Puppy
GalacticPup

Female Join date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 2:17 am

This thread is really interesting; I'm really enjoying reading everyones' posts!

My girl is named after the Hindu philosophy behind the deity/ word "maya".

As quoted from Wikipedia, for ease of explaining,

"Maya or Māyā (Sanskrit माया māyāa[›]), in Indian religions, has multiple meanings, usually quoted as "illusion", centered on the fact that we do not experience the environment itself but rather a projection of it, created by us. Māyā is the principal deity that manifests, perpetuates and governs the illusion and dream of duality in the phenomenal Universe. For some mystics, this manifestation is real.[1] Each person, each physical object, from the perspective of eternity, is like a brief, disturbed drop of water from an unbounded ocean. The goal of enlightenment is to understand this—more precisely, to experience this: to see that the distinction between the self and the Universe is a false dichotomy. The distinction between consciousness and physical matter, between mind and body (refer bodymind), is the result of an unenlightened perspective."

In Buddhism, Maya is also the name of the mother of Buddha.

Quote :
Bodhi had a different name, that of a serial killer, when we rehomed him.
It's short for Bodhisattva in Buddhism.
His name means "seeker of enlightenment."

Michael- I've always had the name "Bodhi" in the back of my mind if I were ever to get a second dog. Smile Your Bodhi is a very handsome fellow!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 4:00 am

Kennedy is named because at the time I adopted her, it was Kelsey (me) and my Lhasa Apso Kloe. So OF COURSE I needed another K name, but I didn't want a normal K name. So that's how I came up with Kennedy! Honestly, it fits her perfectly!!

According to Wiki, Kennedy means; Kennedy (pron.: /ˈkɛnɪdi/)[1] is a unisex given name in the English language. The name is an Anglicised form of a masculine given name in the Irish language. The has been sometimes been given in honour of American politicians John F. Kennedy and his brother Robert F. Kennedy, who were both assassinated in the 1960s.....WEIRD!

Sheba got her name..in a more boring way. I had named all of my animals up to this point, and my boyfriend wanted to name her. Sooo he got on google and googled popular Siberian Husky names. I shot down about 10 of them before Sheba was announced and little unnamed puppy responded to that name. So it has stuck. Recently, I wanted to change her name to Lucifer and call her Lucy Laughing .

According to Wiki, Sheba means...Sheba \sh(e)-ba\ as a girl's name is pronounced SHEE-bah. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Sheba is "promise". Nickname of Bathsheba. Sheba is the name of a kingdom in southern Arabia noted for its great wealth. Biblical: the queen of Sheba journeyed to Jerusalem to see for herself whether accounts about Solomon's great wisdom and wealth were true....interesting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Link was named after the Legend of Zelda character, who is my favorite character of all time. I have had this name picked out for my Husky since I was 12. To make that even more corny, my partner and I think it's cool because he is now a primary link between us....barf! We have our astrology charts on our wall and Link's chart is between ours.

His official name is Kalara's The Adventures of Link Capricornus (the AKC charges an extra fee for more than 36 characters....oh well). He is a Capricorn, of course.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
CatDen
Teenager
Teenager
CatDen

Female Join date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 pm

We named Alki after Alki Beach in Seattle.
Alki means "violent storm", "by and by" and "hope for the future".

His registered name: Alki Marik Pacifc Waters.
Marik means "god of mars" and "war-like".
Pacific Waters came from my love of the Ocean as well as the Pacific Northwest.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 1:49 am

Love the game of thrones names!

Kiba is Japanese for fang Smile I got the name from the main character of e show wolfs rain. Plus I used to live in Japan so it felt right. I suppose its ironic for such a funny goober dog but I wouldn't change it.
Back to top Go down
liamdav6
Newborn
Newborn
liamdav6

Male Join date : 2012-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 5:12 am

Achilles - Troy was an awesome movie but also legend behind the name, I think it suits his personality also cause if he was more Mischievous I would of called him Demon (this was at the time I got him, a couple months living with him I've realized Demon could of worked well too! tongue ) but he's just a very strong, confident dog. Many people who've met him and asked his name have said it fits well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 10:01 am

Wow lets see Butkis was named for Rocky's dog in the movie Beka was Rebecca when we adopted her at about 8 wks I knew she was not a prim and proper so she became Beka since she was foster w a trainer we knew we could not change it much with out confusion. Origin Nordic or Slavic faithful
Baylin is a female Australian girls name and perfect. for an Aussie girl which started w B and we wanted to stay w the Bs. The origin from France and India though. Then Bourbon we were gonna do russian B names but he is not a Boris. We were sitting around thinking of B names drinking Markers Mark Bourbon and thought it made the perfect name. orgin Bourbon seigniory in France

Last edited by HuskyLear on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot origin)
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 am

My first girl Tasha was named after her mother and father - Niko (can't remember his registered name), and Northern Nishka. So I called her Colorado's Blue Natasha (she had blue eyes and I was 15 lol). My new pup will be coming home in May and I'm still throwing names around. I came across one yesterday that I thought was both funny, but a little too close to home - Keelut - in Inuit it's an evil spirit that resembles a dog. I like Kyoshi also, it means teacher in Japanese. They both happen to start with K, but its merely a coincidence. I also like Zephyr, Gemini, and Arrow, all of those have double meanings for me since they were/are lifts at my favorite ski area aside from their primary meanings. Lately, I've become a huge Alias nut, I've been burning through the seasons on Netflix, so Sydney or Bristow (I can't decide it this sounds too much like Bristle, and I don't want ANY political associates of either leaning with my pup) are floating around my head too. But sometimes you never know until you meet the little one what will fit. Smile It so cool to hear where all the names come from.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 am

Blaze - came with the name I would guess he was named it due to his red color.

Kerianseray - Did have a name we name her after an Elf in a book we read. Being Elfs have Almond eyes and pointy ears we felt that a Husky would do with a Elf name. Also the Elf character lived in the woods and Kerian (short version) was found in a wildlife area before being taken to the shelter. The more and more we have her the more we think the name fits her.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 2:11 pm

ljelgin wrote:
Blaze - came with the name I would guess he was named it due to his red color.

You know, in the beginning and end of the movie Balto there was a red husky puppy named Blaze.

Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 10:05 am

Cain:
In Hebrew means acquired and spear.
In Welsh it means beauitulf (he definitely is).
Biblical reference: Cain was the first born son of Adam and Eve, he killed his brother Abel in jealousy and became the first murderer of the world. He was then exiled and became a wandrer!

Wow did not think about the whole biblical reference when naming him!
Back to top Go down
sheronparris
Newborn
Newborn
sheronparris

Female Join date : 2013-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 pm

Xavier was named for a character in my books (but not because he looked like him), and because he just has this dark look to him - his mask does it, methinks.

Xavier
XAVIER: Basque surname transferred to forename use, derived from the place name Etcheberria, meaning "a new house."

And apparently it means 'bright, splendid,' also. Who knew.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scparris.tumblr.com
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Zoe- greek for life and what is more full of life than a husky lol

pronounced the same as Zoey
in greek though it has more emphasis on the Zoh part than than the E.. like Zohhh-E
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Selena - meaning goddess of the moon and after she howled the entire first night we brought her home until the sun came up I decided this name fit my little wolf howling at the moon lol
Back to top Go down
Ryan-5555
Newborn
Newborn
Ryan-5555

Male Join date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Cody- it is of Irish and Gaelic origin and means helper.

I seen Kody had already been done but thought id check and see if the spelling made a difference funny it doesnt but origins are different
Back to top Go down
NYR99
Newborn
Newborn
NYR99

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Orion - After the Metallica song of the same name
Rayna - My wife already had this name picked out for when we got a female husky. She heard it somewhere before and just liked it. Then we saw a husky on Craigslist last week for a 1 year old husky and she actually already had that name, so now she is ours!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 8:17 pm

NYR99 are you a Gretzky fan?
Back to top Go down
Val and Libby
Newborn
Newborn
Val and Libby

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Libby is named for Libby Riddles, the first woman to win the Iditarod. The shelter named her Takotna for one the checkpoints, we thought we'd stay with the theme.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescuerichmond.org
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 5:42 pm

our first husky was a newspaper freebie. his owners kept him chained up and he kept getting loose. his last adventure had ended with him being stuck in a cornfieldm howling for three days until a farmer investigated and found his chain wrapped around the stalks. We decided any dog that could last 3 days in July in an Iowa cornfield was pretty darn toughm and so we named him Tuff. Husky #2 was Yukon Jack, after the booze. Smile Current baby is Vixen, because she looked like a little fox when we got her. Personality wise, she lives up to her name as well. she is a mischievous little troublemaker!
Back to top Go down
kelly.hynum
Puppy
Puppy
kelly.hynum

Female Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Our baby's name is Bella~Luna

Bella is of Latin origin, and the meaning of Bella is "Beautiful"
Luna is of Latin origin, and the meaning of Luna is "moon".

My fiance has an airboat and he bowfishes and his team name/boat name is Bad Moon. Well, he wanted to name her after his boat. I told him there was no way I was going to give a dog the name "bad" and not expect her to come out keeping up with her name! Ha ha! So I told him I could deal with the moon part. So we did some research and came to a mutual agreement and decided on Bella~Luna, beautiful moon, rather than bad moon!

The name really just fits her now.
Back to top Go down
Special~K
Newborn
Newborn
Special~K

Male Join date : 2013-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 2:09 pm

Being that I live in South Louisiana, "swamp wolf" sold me lol. I call him "Fen", which is short for:

FENRISÚLFR: In mythology, this is the name of a wolf, the son of Loki and the giantess Angrboða, popularly translated "swamp wolf," but probably originally meaning "wolf of hell." According to Sophus Bugge, author of The Home of The Eddic Poems, this name cannot possibly mean "swamp wolf," for there does not exist in Old Norse any derivative endings as -rir, or -ris. He believes Fenrir and Fenris arose under the influence of Christian conceptions of the devil as lupus infernus, combined with tales of the Behemoth and the beast of the Apocalypse, and was altered in form in accordance with popular Old Norse etymology. He compares Old Norse fern from Latin infernus to Old Saxon fern which was derived from Latin infernum, and explains that Fenrir and Fenris must have been formed from *Fernir from fern using the endings -ir and gen. -is, both of which were very much used in mythical names, including names of giants. He goes on to explain that the later connection with fen ("fen, swamp, mire") was natural, for hell and lower regions, such as the abyss, are often connected by imagination just as they still are today.

Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 Photobucket-41852-1364316686856_zpsdd7ee2a1
Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 Photobucket-49491-1364316688700_zps3a3ed812
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 4:45 pm

Paw Paw - named after Martha Stewart's dog Kublai Khan Paw Paw Chow Chow Chow.

Beowulf - named after the ancient poem/story, my favorite story from youth/school

Nara Simha Devi - since the breed (GSD) is known for being great guard dogs, we named her after the ancient Vedic (Hindu) half-lion, half-man God/Lord of Protection Narasimhadeva, who is a male form/incarnation of God. So knowing a bit about the Sanskrit language, I changed the A to an I in Deva to make it the female form Devi, since my Nara is a girl. I originally wanted a boy, and was going to name him Nara Simha Deva, but my wife and I compromised and bought a female. Plus, this particular litter that Nara came from had already sold all of the boys (3) and only had 3 females left (out of 6).

That's our story. I'm sticking to it! And here's my fav pic of Narasimhadeva:

Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 Nrsimha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fun - Husky names background info   Fun - Husky names background info - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fun - Husky names background info

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9